Tim Hortons

Non financial topics: autos; computers; entertainment; gatherings; hobbies; sports and travel.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Tim Hortons

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Tim Hortons raised its price for a large coffee from $1.95 to $2.09 yesterday in B.C :x Seeing my wife gives me an allowance of $2.00 a day I can no longer afford to go to Timmies every day unless I downsize my beverage.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Tim Hortons (THI)

Post by 2 yen »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 08 Jun 2017 14:38 Tim Hortons raised its price for a large coffee from $1.95 to $2.09 yesterday in B.C :x Seeing my wife gives me an allowance of $2.00 a day I can no longer afford to go to Timmies every day unless I downsize my beverage.
I'd say you've just been done a favor. :wink:

2 yen
robertro
Contributor
Contributor

Post by robertro »

Some rumblings from the franchise owners...

"Tim Hortons franchisees launch $500M class-action suit against parent company "

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/ti ... -1.4167739
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Prices up, quality down.

Typical milking from LBO experts.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
lacrosse905
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lacrosse905 »

Have been in a few TH lately and it appears to save money they are cutting back on staff.
randomwalker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by randomwalker »

robertro wrote: 20 Jun 2017 13:41 Some rumblings from the franchise owners...

"Tim Hortons franchisees launch $500M class-action suit against parent company "

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/business/ti ... -1.4167739
Warren Buffet/ Berkshire Hathaway's 9% preferred shares have to get paid somehow : )
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

In driving around southern Alberta ISTM that THI is totally overbuilding. This can only result in cannibalization of same-store sales.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Shakespeare wrote: 22 Dec 2017 07:33 In driving around southern Alberta ISTM that THI is totally overbuilding. This can only result in cannibalization of same-store sales.
Indeed. There are multiple stores around us AND one in every 'hick town' along the main highways here. IMO, both food and coffee quality has deteriorated too. I have not purchased food there in at least a year. I'd rather go to McD for a coffee and one of their muffins.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Yea I had a good ride with THI then took the cash buyout during the takeover.
For the fun of it...Keith
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

AltaRed wrote:I'd rather go to McD for a coffee and one of their muffins.
+1
What a turnaround from the old days when McD coffee was terrible. Now according to a recent survey it is No.1. The survey listed 2nd Cup as No.2, followed by Starbucks with TH coming in 4th.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
randomwalker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by randomwalker »

CROCKD wrote: 22 Dec 2017 15:06
AltaRed wrote:I'd rather go to McD for a coffee and one of their muffins.
+1
What a turnaround from the old days when McD coffee was terrible. Now according to a recent survey it is No.1. The survey listed 2nd Cup as No.2, followed by Starbucks with TH coming in 4th.
Do the rankings translate into sales? If they don't then the rankings are meaningless from an investor's point of view. Personally I've yet to see them standing in a line 30 deep for coffee at a Second Cup.
randomwalker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by randomwalker »

from the Tim Horton's FAQ page,

Is there nicotine or MSG in Tim Hortons Coffee?

This urban myth is just that...a myth!

Tim Hortons guests expect and deserve high quality coffee that is always fresh and consistent, along with fast, efficient service and all at a good value. Tim Hortons would like to clearly state that there is absolutely NO nicotine or MSG in our coffee. Tim Hortons coffee has NO ADDITIVES whatsoever. It is made only from a blend of the highest quality premium Arabica beans from several different coffee growing countries.

Tim Hortons decaffeinated coffee also contains no additives. It is decaffeinated through what is called the Swiss Water method, which is the purest manner of removing caffeine from the coffee. Tim Hortons believes that our focus on quality, service and value, is what keeps our guests coming back for more!

https://www.timhortons.com/ca/en/corporate/faq.php
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

If the rankings are based on sales, did they do the rankings during during the "roll up the rim" period? I don't think so! :lol:
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

I used to own shares in Tim Horton's before I had to sell them unwillingly in the buyout. In reality though, my wife and I would purposely avoid visiting Tim Horton's whenever we wanted a coffee outside.

I liked Tim Horton as a hockey player though, the last time I watched the Leafs during their Stanley Cup victories (on black & white TV).
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

Mind-blowing how burnt coffee has been so successfully marketed.

2 yen
randomwalker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by randomwalker »

2 yen wrote: 23 Dec 2017 05:34 Mind-blowing how burnt coffee has been so successfully marketed.

2 yen
Not really. When you can sell bottled water to Canadians you can sell them anything. I grew up hear the expression "Why that would be like selling sand to Saudis" as in next to impossible.

I think that one of the lasting lessons coming out of WWII was that with the right propaganda or in peace time "marketing" you can lead the population around by the nose.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

randomwalker wrote: 23 Dec 2017 12:03
2 yen wrote: 23 Dec 2017 05:34 Mind-blowing how burnt coffee has been so successfully marketed.

2 yen
Not really. When you can sell bottled water to Canadians you can sell them anything. I grew up hear the expression "Why that would be like selling sand to Saudis" as in next to impossible.

I think that one of the lasting lessons coming out of WWII was that with the right propaganda or in peace time "marketing" you can lead the population around by the nose.
I think that's my point, better articulated by you.

2 yen
randomwalker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by randomwalker »

Time to short Restaurant Brands International (QSR)? Does billionaires telling the working poor that they're earning too much turn into a public relations nightmare or possibly a boycott of Tim Hortons and Burger King?

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/7xe4 ... nefit-cuts
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

randomwalker wrote: 05 Jan 2018 06:48 Time to short Restaurant Brands International (QSR)? Does billionaires telling the working poor that they're earning too much turn into a public relations nightmare or possibly a boycott of Tim Hortons and Burger King?

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/7xe4 ... nefit-cuts
Tim Horton's is about community for many people. They will curse their server's bosses, but will still want to hang out. The down home shtick that Tim's uses has been very successful, too - along with the low end coffee.

2 yen
Profit not Prophet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Profit not Prophet »

Beside's when was the last time the Premier backed a winning horse? Given a coin toss I'd lean to the business winning rather than the gov't, they win battles but go back to sleep and business carries on. I don't hold QSR, willing to bet this is forgotten in a couple moments, hours, days at most.
Last edited by Profit not Prophet on 05 Jan 2018 12:46, edited 1 time in total.
randomwalker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by randomwalker »

Profit not Prophet wrote: 05 Jan 2018 09:08 Beside's when was the last time the Premier backed a winning horse? Given a coin toss I'd lean to the business winning rather than the gov't, they win battles but go back to sleep and business carry's on. Don't hold QSR, willing to bet this is forgotten in a couple moments, hours, days at most.
Governing party since 2003 I believe. Surprisingly so. But there it is.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

FWIW there is an easily found Watercooler topic about the change to the minimum wage. It might be particularly useful to continue there if FWF'ers want to debate/discuss the political angle rather than the financial impact to Tim's and/or it's parent company.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... enovation/
“This is just one more in the string of ill-conceived programs brought forward by a group of executives who do not understand foodservice, franchise operations or marketing,” the letter reads.

Restaurant Brands International, “wants to fix a problem it cannot solve, mainly lack of sales, by getting us to spend money while they contribute very little,” the letter said.

Tim Hortons recorded a fifth consecutive quarter of sluggish sales in mid-February, according to RBI’s most recent quarterly earnings report.
The lack of sales is due to overbuilding, not store appearance.

The best way to upgrade the stores is to close some of them.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I agree partially. The proliferation of franchises boggles the mind. We have 3 of them in less than a 5 km stretch on our main drag through town. There are 2 in the business park vicinity of our airport and one inside the terminal. It is nuts.

But in addition, the food is terrible and the coffee is weak. Yuck!
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

AltaRed wrote: 27 Mar 2018 20:46 I agree partially. The proliferation of franchises boggles the mind. We have 3 of them in less than a 5 km stretch on our main drag through town. There are 2 in the business park vicinity of our airport and one inside the terminal. It is nuts.

But in addition, the food is terrible and the coffee is weak. Yuck!
Overbuild for sure. People, in general, are becoming much more sophisticated in their consumption habits. Why is McDonald's trying to appear healthy? Why are sales of the middle aisles (processed foods and junk) in supermarkets declining? Why has Campbell's soup laid off hundreds recently (might a salty, fatty product have something to do with it?)? Why have bowl type meals (perceived as being healthy) taken off recently? Change or die is the new mantra. Tim's is a crap product being marketed to people who are not as dumb as management likes to think.

2 yen