How to download data?

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Yahoo Portfolios Download Problem

Post by 2 yen »

I realizee this could be on another thread, but was hoping someone could help. I always download Yahoo portfolios to a spreadsheet. This is performed originating from the spreadsheet. For about a week, ex-dividend, dividend and dividend date info is missing in Yahoo portfolios and when I attempt to download to the spreadsheet, there are no up and down arrows, just the words 'up' and 'down' to show increases in price and value etc. All color has gone. The downloading corrupts other linked parts of the spreadsheet I have created such as asset allocation graphs and the like.
Any one have an idea what is wrong? It does appear that Yahoo portfolios are having trouble getting some of their traditional data, particularly regarding dividends and ex-div dates, etc. But I should still be able to download the portfolio as it appears in Yahoo. Right now I can't. Thanks in advance. :(
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

Arnyk...

New laptop too....vista...

Any progress on getting Excel 2007 to download data from MSN or Yahoo sources?
arnyk
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by arnyk »

It works now..however I've since sold off that laptop and just got one with XP. lol

A third laptop I have which I haven't used yet - a dual core processor with 2GB of ram, and it has Vista but 2GB is pretty decent to run it. Alot of power, but I'll just stick with XP. Selling the 2GB one if you're interested (or anybuddy). :roll:
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

Is that cheating?...lol

I actually figured you'd be all over this problem so your spreadsheets would be all fancy with those new Vista Graphics....oh well...I'll have to suffer from now with the spreadsheets on my backup comp for now. Maybe I can bug Microsoft enough to fix the problem if I email them everday for the next few months
arnyk
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by arnyk »

I recall that it was a problem only initially - somehow it fixed itself I think. Keep trying! Before I sold it the problem had already been fixed.
kumquat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kumquat »

Anybody know how to do this with OpenOffice Calc?

Thanks
I don't intend to offend anyone, that part is just a bonus.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.
rails
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rails »

I use Open Office Calc to download quotes. Although not as streamlined a process to set up, once it's done it works well.

Here is the process.

1) On a separate worksheet in cell A1. Select "Insert" then "Link to external data".

2)Where it asks for "ULR to external data source" type in the following (without the preceeding and ending quotations marks)

"http://moneycentral.msn.com/investor/ex ... BNS,CA:BMO"

Note: Add as many Symbols you wish in the format preceeded by CA: for Canadian Stocks. Each separated by a comma EG: ,CA:FTS for Fortis.

3) Once you have finished typing in all your stocks and funds (yes it works for funds also).....Hit the ENTER key. Note do not click OK yet.

4) In the lower part of the screen you will be presented with a list of Table Ranges. Select "HTML_1" Note do not click OK yet.

5) On the lower part of this popup screen you will see the option to "Update every" and to the right "60 Sec". Check the box to the left and adjust the timing to what you desire. I use 600 seconds (10 minutes) Every 10 minutes the stock quotes will update themselves.

6) Now click OK

7) Your stock quotes will now be on the screen.

To add or delete from your stock selections.

1) Go to the worksheet with the data on it. Select "Edit" then "Links".

2) You will see a popup screen that shows your links. You will see one called "quotes.asp". Click on it and then click "Modify"

3) You will now open the ULR link for modification. Go ahead an add or delete the symbols as required and then follow the same process from step 3 above.

This whole thing works well for me and I have been using it for about 6 months.

One final note.....If at any time you add or modify your stocks symbols and click OK before you hit ENTER, you will lose your changes and you will have to start again.
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

arnyk wrote:I recall that it was a problem only initially - somehow it fixed itself I think. Keep trying! Before I sold it the problem had already been fixed.
I'm still struggling here with the add-in. It won't download the quotes and I've tried the help function, online searches, etc. Does anyone with knowledge of Excel 2007 now how to fix the addin or even organize a spreadsheet with the proper code so I can construct my own easily?
florch
Contributor
Contributor

Post by florch »

Thanks Kumquat and Rails for the OpenOffice gen!

:)
pitz
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pitz »

I haven't even been able to get Excel 2007 (on Vista) to talk with Interactive Brokers' real-time feeds through DDE.

What a pain in the a**. I still have to maintain my spreadsheets on an XP machine to receive proper real-time updates on my accounts.
florch
Contributor
Contributor

another open office question

Post by florch »

For index funds, anyone know how to find the other identifier for TD e-series?

i.e. - TDB900, Canadian Index, has another symbol but what is it, and how do you find it?

MSN money doesn't seem to like it. I think it only works with stockhouse and globeinvestor, but they don't seem to link to external data as well.
pitz
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pitz »

=MSNStockQuote("TDB902","Last Price","CA")
=MSNStockQuote("TDB900","Last Price","CA")

works just fine to display TD Canadian Index e-Series. (Excel 2003, MSNMoney add-in)

edit: wrong code.
Last edited by pitz on 13 Sep 2007 22:25, edited 1 time in total.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: another open office question

Post by AltaRed »

florch wrote:For index funds, anyone know how to find the other identifier for TD e-series?

i.e. - TDB900, Canadian Index, has another symbol but what is it, and how do you find it?
You can try FundSERV or Fund Library for fund codes.
kumquat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kumquat »

rails wrote:I use Open Office Calc to download quotes. Although not as streamlined a process to set up, once it's done it works well.

Here is the process.

1) On a separate worksheet in cell A1. Select "Insert" then "Link to external data".

2)Where it asks for "ULR to external data source" type in the following (without the preceeding and ending quotations marks)

Note: Add as many Symbols you wish in the format preceeded by CA: for Canadian Stocks. Each separated by a comma EG: ,CA:FTS for Fortis.

3) Once you have finished typing in all your stocks and funds (yes it works for funds also).....Hit the ENTER key. Note do not click OK yet.

4) In the lower part of the screen you will be presented with a list of Table Ranges. Select "HTML_1" Note do not click OK yet.

5) On the lower part of this popup screen you will see the option to "Update every" and to the right "60 Sec". Check the box to the left and adjust the timing to what you desire. I use 600 seconds (10 minutes) Every 10 minutes the stock quotes will update themselves.

6) Now click OK

2) You will see a popup screen that shows your links. You will see one called "quotes.asp". Click on it and then click "Modify"

3) You will now open the ULR link for modification. Go ahead an add or delete the symbols as required and then follow the same process from step 3 above.

One final note.....If at any time you add or modify your stocks symbols and click OK before you hit ENTER, you will lose your changes and you will have to start again.
Works great if you follow the instructions as posted, Thanks rails.

I found out the hard way that you can't use the normal (drop-down list) method to paste in a URL in step 2. But pasting via <Cntl-V> works. Don't ask me why
I don't intend to offend anyone, that part is just a bonus.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.
florch
Contributor
Contributor

"The link could not be updated."

Post by florch »

I occasionally get the above error message, including the first time I included my e-series.

It's otherwise worked great, so I've separated the funds from the stocks into 2 links and it seems to happen less often.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

Lately I've been having problems with the MSN stock quote add-in for Excel 2003. My spreadsheet worked fine previously, but recently some quotes show as $0.00 for the "last price" when I update the quotes. This problem seems to be random, as different quotes show $0.00 each time I update. Does anyone have any suggestions to fix this problem?
rails
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rails »

First try to determine whether its a problem with the add-in or with MSN stock quote. When you see an error, go to the MSN site and see what the corresponding 'last price' is. If on screen shows "0" then the add-in is pulling in what it's suppose to. MSN is at fault. If the MSN shows a number other than "0" then you have a problem with the add-in
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

I continue to have problems with the add in for my Vista Excel 2007. I'm almost to the point of giving up, cause none of my spreadsheets that utilized the MSN stock quote tool will function on the new laptop.

I've looked endlessly on the internet for a fix, but no one seems to really know how to fix it. Even tried looking at the code & it appears sound. The add-in's been removed, re-downloaded, no effect

Very frustrating Microsoft :x
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
pitz
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pitz »

Strange, after fighting with it, I was finally able to get msnq.exe working on my laptop with Vista and Excel 2007.

brad911, try this: go to the upper left hand corner, click on the round Office Logo, click on 'Excel Options", select "Add-ins", go the 'Manage" tab at the bottom, select "COM Add-ins", click on "Go", and there should be 2 add-ins.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

rails wrote:First try to determine whether its a problem with the add-in or with MSN stock quote. When you see an error, go to the MSN site and see what the corresponding 'last price' is. If on screen shows "0" then the add-in is pulling in what it's suppose to. MSN is at fault. If the MSN shows a number other than "0" then you have a problem with the add-in
Thanks for the suggestion. It looks like MSN Money is at fault, as it shows "NA" for the "last price" for those quotes which the add-in shows as "0". If I retry the quote on MSN Money, it will occasionaly show the correct price. Now how do I get MSN Money to fix the problem, (as I'm not a subscriber to MSN Money)? There is no "Contact Us" or "Support" link on the MSN Money website.
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

Yeah pitz, I did that already from what I found on one of the microsoft forums & no luck either........I'll keep fiddling with it and hopefully get it soon. Thanks for the thought though
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

The only thing I can think of is that there's one MSNquote file in the inactive application addins section called msnstockquote.clsrtd but I can't activate it or change anything.

Under active applications I do have the 3: 2 COM add ins & 1 excel addin

I've tried contacting microsoft but I find their interface a huge headache....hopefully they release a fix or updated version because its really starting to get on my nerves :evil:

Edit: Screw it - I just spent 2 hrs modifying Gummy's spreadsheet to do what I wanted for now.....hopefully I can make a hybrid for now with the data from that.......dumb vista
JohnMorgan
Contributor
Contributor

Downloading data to Excel

Post by JohnMorgan »

Am playing with "EditGrid", a free online excel-like spreadsheet.
Its data download function is outrageously simple.
I am only using it for a simple asset allocation 'analysis' but might be worth a look.
nisser
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by nisser »

rails wrote:I use Open Office Calc to download quotes. Although not as streamlined a process to set up, once it's done it works well.

Here is the process.

6) Now click OK

This worked great. Thank you.

Also, I wonder is there a way to have the actual charts in a separate sheet? it'd be great if there was a chart of 1year/3year in separate sheet for each stock in the excel file.
ronjoh
Contributor
Contributor

Download stock quotes

Post by ronjoh »

Can anyone advise how multiple stock quotes can be downloaded into an Excel (2007) worksheet?

Can other information also be downloaded (ie dividends, p/e, etc.)?

Thanks