The Daytrading & Swingtrading Thread

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
inthemoneystocks
Contributor
Contributor

Today's Stock Market Action: Markets Propped By Federal Rese

Post by inthemoneystocks »

Last Friday, the Jobs Report revealed some troubling things. While the headline numbers were solid, many questions were raised as the large drop in unemployment was a result of a huge amount of people dropping out of the work force. The markets popped on the headline number, only to sell off after.

Last night the China HSBC manufacturing PMI was released. It came in at 48.1 vs. 48.3. This number continues to show significant weakness in the Chinese economy. This pushed the futures down overnight and into the opening bell this morning. However, no sooner did the markets open sharply lower, a buy program hit and magically brought the indexes back to the flat line. They are continuing to hover there now. Was this the work of a normal market or was there an entity, perhaps the Federal Reserve buying stocks and making sure the combination of the Jobs Report and China data did not start a major sell off.

Considering the Federal Reserve was pumping $2 billion in POMO into the markets today, I think we have our answer. The volume is light and this makes it very easy to prop the markets up. In addition, the way in which the markets so neatly lifted themselves back to the flat line and have just rested there screams of an organized buy program. It is important to note that the games being played will only escalate the issues down the line. Anytime you artificially prop something up, it makes things worse in the future. This has been the Federal Reserve's game plan for years if not decades. Look at the last 15 years and the collapses, each worse than the last after Fed intervention. Then look at the money printing over the last 5 years and connect the dots. While a major collapse may not be coming in the next few days or weeks, inevitably it will come and be worse than the 2007 financial collapse.

Gareth Soloway
InTheMoneyStocks
Merged into the swing-treading thread.
Moderator K
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Today's Stock Market Action: Markets Propped By Federal

Post by schmuck »

inthemoneystocks wrote: It is important to note that the games being played will only escalate the issues down the line. Anytime you artificially prop something up, it makes things worse in the future. This has been the Federal Reserve's game plan for years if not decades. Look at the last 15 years and the collapses, each worse than the last after Fed intervention. Then look at the money printing over the last 5 years and connect the dots. While a major collapse may not be coming in the next few days or weeks, inevitably it will come and be worse than the 2007 financial collapse.

Gareth Soloway
InTheMoneyStocks
That is certainly a concern, and I'm surprised that the FED has been able to keep the balls in the air this long with their juggling act that has not accomplished anything yet. Common sense would suggest that devaluation of currencies can't go on forever without resulting in eventual inflation, but that does not appear to be on the horizon, and that major collapse seems too far down the road to prepare for.

It was a lot easier for the market to go down in 2007 when bonds at 4.5% offered a good alternative. Can't see a lot of alternatives to stocks today for an income starved, ever aging population.
That said, I'm well positioned to take advantage of a healthy summer correction that might get dragged down a bit more by the midterm elections.
Plutu$
Spammer
Spammer

Post by Plutu$ »

Hi Gareth and Schmuck

Excellent topic, have been looking for this on-line with no success until now. I am tired of the b/s pump the market stories from the likes of the media at large "spreading on thick" to the sheeple.

Like you, I share your concern. This DOW rally from 2009 9,000 to 2014 17,000 is nonsense all the while the economy at large is not well.

I follow http://globalbasic.econoday.com/byweek. ... obal-basic It behooves me how more often than not that negative news comes out of reports, yet Wall Street spins their magic turning negative to positive; bizzare. As a result the whipsaw in the markets with stocks and commodities via trading stocks and etfs lends itself to not holding investments overnight in my case.

I strongly suspect that we are going to see a major crash very soon. I don't like the reports, the numbers, the China factor (which imho cannot be trusted, no idea why it is even followed, other than Wall Street pumping any positive "lies" to Wall Street's advantage to spin the markets. Sheeple are going to get burned.

I see a serious demise to mutual funds. We are seeing the first of it now with BNS selling off CI Financials. I hear concerns from many others too.

I trade stocks for the very most part, daily; long and short, sometimes ETFs (albeit the commodities re natural gas in particular are highly manipulated imho and do not subscribe to logic, hence as of late I stay away; stock imho follow logic more so, yet at the mercy of the market makers in bizzare moves).

This past late week was what I thought to be the beginning of a DOW 500 point drop, however, not to be, we saw the DOW rally near Friday close, such bunk that was and their resoning for it, pure manipulation, very scarey.

The DOW was off this past week, thank goodness. I was up nicely, more so as a result of active short trading. I expect to continue to trade bearish, albeit try my best to trade the trend as well or at least get out if I see a move from bear to bull. I do not fight the manipulated trend.

Gareth, I strongly agree with you re: "worse than the 2007 financial collapse", afterall we are in a recession, real unemployment / underemployment is very high (numbers the gov't will never reveal, I call it 30%+), a North America economy relying on retail trade is dangerous. Truth is consumers do not need to buy anymore junk. I laugh at Wall Street's last week numbers blaming the weather. Such a scam.

All the best, surprised more people are not posting here. In closing looking forward to a major crash and profits from my day trades, quite often short trading, going long concerns me, albeit I do follow the trend, but do my very best never to hold overnight, long or short. I believe in compound roi, great website at http://compoundaily.com/

You might enjoy this link too: http://finviz.com/news.ashx ... http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/breakout ... 2.html?l=1

All the best to both of you.
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

Plutu$ wrote:I see a serious demise to mutual funds. We are seeing the first of it now with BNS selling off CI Financials. I hear concerns from many others too.
Can you elaborate? Do you mean mutual funds AND ETFs (as opposed to individual stocks)? Or do you mean mutual fund companies/wealth managers AS individual stocks?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
Plutu$
Spammer
Spammer

Post by Plutu$ »

parvus wrote:
Plutu$ wrote:I see a serious demise to mutual funds. We are seeing the first of it now with BNS selling off CI Financials. I hear concerns from many others too.
Can you elaborate? Do you mean mutual funds AND ETFs (as opposed to individual stocks)? Or do you mean mutual fund companies/wealth managers AS individual stocks?
Hi Parvus, to each their own, no offence intended, just mho in light of my trading techniques and feedback from others that are responsible trading friends of mine. I like many are disgusted with the fees charged by mutual fund companies / "wealth managers" regardless of performance. Keep in mind there is a high turnover in such folk as well. As far as ETFs promotion as of late versus mutual funds such are not meant to buy and hold despite what the media infers imho.

Bottom line without rambling on, the markets today are extremely volatile, manipulated, unregulated, lack discipline and more negative consequences, imho, and others that actively trade that I am friends with. We all do our own trading separately and actively, daily, long and short, something that mutual funds do not do. We do not buy and hold, we trade long and short in these whipsaw markets which we know are poised nicely to crash. Furthermore, you cannot short or margin inside rrsp, tfsa, resp. Such bunk this is imho as there is money to be made shorting investments. This government regulation is crap, reeks of the old boys club supporting each other re government, industry, brokers and more at the expense of the sheeple. Expensive fee'd mutual funds are meant to be one directional, that being long. I and many have never heard from someone pumping mutual funds to short them.

All the best to you and others. By the way, I do my best to be in cash overnight in light of too much going on afterhours that we have no control of.

North American stock markets are open for the most part 9:30 AM ET to 4:00 PM ET = 6.5 hours x 5 days per week = 32.5 hours per week, excluding the approximately 10 days per year that the markets are closed.

World markets are open 24/7 other than for a few hours between Friday 8 PM ET and Sunday 6 PM, excluding the approximately 10 days per year that the markets are closed, for a total of: 7 x 24 = 168 - 46 = 122 hours

32.5 / 122 = 26.6 % of the time you have access to your funds versus when world markets are open.

32.5 / 168 = 19.5 % of the time you have access to your funds when the world is open re: world events do move markets.

In all fairness markets should be open to all 24/7 or for set periods for all.

19.5% to 26.6% are not my kind of odds that I am worth risking my investments over. I am content trading long / short 9:30 to 4:30, ample time to make a comfortable return on investment, all the better when compounding your roi each day, trading actively long and short on a wide variety of stocks that are in trend.

Granted, day trading is not possible for everyone, however, works for me. Albeit, imho, buy and hold is taboo for anyone.

Another problem with mutual funds is that when you go to trade you get filled at the closing price, such bs that is imho, whereas stocks and ETFs are traded in real time.

All the best.
Plutu$
Spammer
Spammer

Victoria Day 2014, what will you trade in the USA today?

Post by Plutu$ »

Victoria Day 2014, what will you trade in the USA today?

Markets are closed in Canada today, the futures markets are down nicely pre-market. This could be the beginning of the huge, much anticipated market crash, great time to short the markets on the USA side, keep in mind though that broker fx fees will be ~ 3%, so with that if looking to make a profit day trading today you want to target making +3% on your USA trades, albeit, nothing wrong with keep you funds in the USA side and trading USA stocks. I am expecting a huge sell off today and in the days to follow. GLTA.

http://touch.investing.com/markets/ < wow, look at energy as well, another run-up, tough going for those shorting ETFs or stocks that cannot be sold on the USA market today, all the more reason why to day trade, not to hold investments overnight. There is lots of time to make money during the 930-400 AM ET trading hours, trading long or short, no need to gamble in these whipsaw markets holding overnight.

http://globalbasic.econoday.com/byweek. ... obal-basic

I am tracking to short today RY, MFC, BBRY, USO, UNG, JE, definitely do not expect to go long on anything.

Merged
Moderator W
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Victoria Day 2014, what will you trade in the USA today?

Post by newguy »

Plutu$ wrote:I am tracking to short today RY, MFC, BBRY, USO, UNG, JE, definitely do not expect to go long on anything.
You could buy SCO or KOLD and pay cap gains tax instead. There's no way to have a short position in US listed stocks as anything but income.

You can also use these (and puts) in your RRSP to go short.

newguy
Plutu$
Spammer
Spammer

Post by Plutu$ »

Pass!

Have a great day, been following the markets at large over the past hour, in light of the ~3% fx factor very risky to trade on USA markets today with CDN funds.

I spoke with my trading platform yesterday, they agreed with me that the fx rates they charge are ridiculous = lost business and profits re trading fees and lower fx rate.

If only ~1% I might consider trading, even then, in comparison to when I trade on TSX my cost is a fraction of a percent.

~3% fx is just plain stupid risky in these whipsaw markets.
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

Plutu$ wrote:Pass!

Have a great day, been following the markets at large over the past hour, in light of the ~3% fx factor very risky to trade on USA markets today with CDN funds.

I spoke with my trading platform yesterday, they agreed with me that the fx rates they charge are ridiculous = lost business and profits re trading fees and lower fx rate.

If only ~1% I might consider trading, even then, in comparison to when I trade on TSX my cost is a fraction of a percent.

~3% fx is just plain stupid risky in these whipsaw markets.
But since you were shorting you would pay ~40% tax anyway. But 43% is too much? Move to Alberta and pay the vig.

newguy
Plutu$
Spammer
Spammer

Post by Plutu$ »

newguy wrote:But since you were shorting you would pay ~40% tax anyway. But 43% is too much? Move to Alberta and pay the vig.newguy
Newguy; your comment and tax references are ridiculously false. Please study up before posting, thanks, best work with a chartered accountant too, just a suggestion.

I am cash over the long weekend, was looking to short today, albeit did not, will now wait until tomorrow.

The 3% fx rate is not worthy of risk / reward.

Have a nice day everyone.

Cash is king today, great week last week +4% roi, shorting actively, looking forward to tomorrow.

nb as far as JE, too risky, staying away from this, long or short, too many other credible trades to be had, long / short for profits, best to keep risk at a minium.
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

Sorry, just trying to encourage a new trader, the markets always need fresh meat.

However, since this is a place where people come to learn, I'll refer you to section 6 & 18 of this document.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/it479r/it479r-e.html

newguy
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

Plutu$ wrote:There is lots of time to make money during the 930-400 AM ET trading hours, trading long or short, no need to gamble in these whipsaw markets holding overnight.

This could be the beginning of the huge, much anticipated market crash,

I am expecting a huge sell off today and in the days to follow.

great week last week +4% roi

best work with a chartered accountant
Anyone else notice the slight resemblance to A1Stocktrader? :roll:
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
randomwalker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by randomwalker »

deaddog wrote:
Anyone else notice the slight resemblance to A1Stocktrader? :roll:
Uncannily so. Sounds more Janus than Plutus me thinks lol
Plutu$
Spammer
Spammer

Post by Plutu$ »

newguy wrote:Sorry, just trying to encourage a new trader, the markets always need fresh meat.

However, since this is a place where people come to learn, I'll refer you to section 6 & 18 of this document.
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/it479r/it479r-e.html

newguy

10-4 newguy, no probs, right you are on this post. have a great day. i am waiting until tomorrow to trade. there is no way that trading today in the usa with a cdn account is worth the 3% fx risk to reward in such volatile markets where profits are made more often than not on very tight +/- trades. i expect to trade short natural gas http://www.investing.com/commodities/energies interesting to see it move up in sympathy with oil re http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-1 ... upply.html meanwhile saudi is going solar http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-05-1 ... ramco.html bizarre times we trade in now.
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

deaddog wrote:Anyone else notice the slight resemblance to A1Stocktrader?
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A1Stocktrader wrote:in cash over the weekend
Plutu$ wrote:Have a great day,
A1Stocktrader wrote:...have a great day
Plutu$ wrote:great time to short
A1Stocktrader wrote:time to short

Hey, Plutu$ - ( aka A1Stocktrader ).
Maybe best to direct your very enlightening posts on day trading to the Daytrading and SwingTrading Thread.
Then, anyone interested in that topic would have a single thread to go to for education and discussion of that world.
Or, perhaps management might move this thread into the DayTrading thread.

ltr

Done as suggested
Moderator W
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

randomwalker wrote:Sounds more Janus than Plutus me thinks lol
The Roman God Janus is usually depicted as having two faces.
Janus.JPG
Janus.JPG (7.07 KiB) Viewed 773 times
newguy wrote:this is a place where people come to learn
+1
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
parvus
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor
Location: Waiting for the real estate meltdown on Rua Açores.

Post by parvus »

You are aware, naturally, that ETFs can be bought, shorted and closed out on the same day. There are a number of websites devoted to ETF day-trading, mostly sector trades.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muß man schweigen — a wit
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki Your go-to guide for financial basics
Plutu$
Spammer
Spammer

Post by Plutu$ »

parvus wrote:You are aware, naturally, that ETFs can be bought, shorted and closed out on the same day. There are a number of websites devoted to ETF day-trading, mostly sector trades.
Yep, right you are Parvus. I short ETFs when funds are occasionally held overnight in my short account when I have been shorting stocks, saves me time versus telephoning in a long ETF trade. Ridiculous I know, even the trader at the broker concurs, has something to do with their program, same as having to wait longer than long trading, regardless, such the way it is. Looking forward to shorting natural gas tomorrow based upon the moment, albeit this too can change. All the best for a great week!
Plutu$
Spammer
Spammer

Re: The Daytrading & Swingtrading Thread

Post by Plutu$ »

1x HND + 1x RY short + 1x HND, all profitable trades = +1.802% roi today day trading versus DOW at a pathetic +.10%. I do not trust Fraud Street / CME, such manipulating whipsaw in play everyday in these bizarre times. I will continue to monitor natural gas, albeit would not be surprised to see pump up natural gas price. BNN TV natural gas commodity report at 11:30 AM ET, very bearish it was. Shorting RY again, watching LNR to short as well, albeit may be back to short natural gas via HND, no way am I going HNU long. Expecting the DOW to close in the red today as well on profit taking. GLTA :thumbsup:
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Plutu$ wrote:1x HND + 1x RY short + 1x HND, all profitable trades = +1.802% roi today day trading versus DOW at a pathetic +.10%. I do not trust Fraud Street / CME, such manipulating whipsaw in play everyday in these bizarre times. I will continue to monitor natural gas, albeit would not be surprised to see pump up natural gas price. BNN TV natural gas commodity report at 11:30 AM ET, very bearish it was. Shorting RY again
In a parallel world, all of Plutus' trades are profitable. In the real world, there are charts to look at, and RY is up currently 1.95% from yesterday.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Plutu$
Spammer
Spammer

Post by Plutu$ »

Right you are Adrian, RY is up from yesterday, was expected, albeit, what goes up usually goes down. Short is the trade imho and so be it I am and doing very well today following this morning 2x HND, 1x RY short and currently holding 1x RY short, will cover later today most likely, in the money with a roi of +2.1335 % roi at 12:03 AM ET versus the DOW at +.12 %. Hope all is well with you and all. :thumbsup: ... whoops, RY just dropped some more, to be expected, sweet :mrgreen: .... Love the stronger CDN $ too, yee haw, RY dropping more on the TSX $-) xo ....1:29 PM ET, still holding my RY short position ... +2.4906% roi so far today versus DOW at +.09% ... noise on BNN TV this afternoon that banks are lofty, may be a move from banks to insurance companies, sounds good to me! :wink: ....3:11 PM ET, after being back in cash after 2xhnd long and 2xry short, all profitable trades for +2.5% roi versus DOW at +.06%, based upon momentum back in ry shorting it again for more easy peasy profits, currently in the money :D

"the close" beauty day! hnd long 2x and ry short 3x. back in cash o'night. +2.786% roi today vs. DOW pathetic +.08%. hee haw! i love day trading, long and short, hate everything i trade, lol $-)
btw, watched The Wolf of Wall Street last night ... what a twisted movie. haha. glta. cya tomorrow. expecting red friday = short!