Jean Coutu (Symbol-PJC.A)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

PJC on the move to the upside just passed $16.00
Anyone seen any news lately on this stock.
SOLSTICE
Contributor
Contributor

What do you think about this one ?

Post by SOLSTICE »

PJC.A, jean coutu just bought a generic drug maker, good way to diversafied in there field, I think this is going to be a really good move for the company, with the population aging making there own drug is going to had to there bottom line, your opinion price 11.00
alphaworld
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by alphaworld »

I like PJC, I always go shopping there, I don't understand why they have so many trouble since 2 year. Maybe they should do ONLY what they use to do: selling pills.

PJC must Stop buying competitors because it don't look they know how to integrated their Americans division.

Company finance is totally undisciplined *******

Sunny years are behind Jean Coutu if they don't do a big job on the Board. Look at their debt ratio, the capital\liabilities, liquidity, Inventory problems, american division troubles, growth perspectives: BAD BAD BAD Beware of that.Same problems remain since 6 quarters. The situation is not expected to change in a short or mid term optic.

Sometimes it's better to throw in the basket and start again on a better basis.

SJ.
knowledge is analyst's last frontier
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Jean Coutu Group

Post by Taggart »

Good year for Jean Coutu

The Gazette

April 29, 2010
Quebec
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Jean Coutu (Symbol-PJC.A)

Post by Quebec »

Looking at Jean Coutu, after seeing the dividend increase reported here.

The Rite Aid mess is sort of confusing for the amateur analyst. My understanding it that since looses at Rite Aid are not accounted for anymore by Jean Coutu, then Rite Aid could go bankrupt, it would not matter that much. From the annual report:
During the fiscal year ended February 27, 2010, the Corporation's share of loss in Rite Aid exceeded the
carrying value of its investment. As required by Canadian GAAP, the Corporation reduced the carrying value of
its investment down to zero and ceased recording its share of loss in Rite Aid exceeding the carrying value of
its investment, since the Corporation has not guaranteed obligations of Rite Aid and is not committed to provide
it with further financial support.
So yes, Jean Coutu owns 28% of Rite Aid, but at $1 a RAD share, this is "only" $300M. To be compared with 2011 sales of $2349M, or net earnings of $180M, from the Canadian operations.

Yet suppose that RAD was to become profitable (they have forecast another yearly loss for now, but just suppose), presumably then the RAD shares should rise in price and this would benefit Jean Coutu. So I fell like investing in Jean Coutu is partly a bet that Rite Aid will recover. How else can you explain the fact that Jean Coutu is keeping it's RAD shares? Perhaps no one wants them...

Yet the dividend increase is encouraging, so I will need to look further into this... Can anyone provide a clearer picture of whether RAD matters to Jean Coutu? Should I just be ignoring it and be looking at Canadian operations?
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

40% drop from the highs, and 20% in the last 2 days due to proposed drug reforms:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... rug-reform

buying opportunity?
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

The deal with Metro has been officially announced, METRO INC. to acquire The Jean Coutu Group (PJC) Inc. for $4.5 billion
MONTRÉAL, Oct. 2, 2017 /CNW Telbec/ - METRO INC. ("METRO") (TSX: MRU) and The Jean Coutu Group (PJC) Inc. (the "Jean Coutu Group") (TSX: PJC.A) announced today that they have entered into a definitive combination agreement (the "Agreement") pursuant to which METRO will acquire all of the outstanding Jean Coutu Group Class A subordinate voting shares (the "Class A Shares") and all of the outstanding Jean Coutu Group Class B shares (the "Class B Shares" and collectively with the Class A Shares, the "Jean Coutu Group Shares") for $24.50 per Jean Coutu Group Share, representing a total consideration of approximately $4.5 billion, subject to regulatory and Jean Coutu Group shareholder approvals (the "Transaction").

Under the terms of the Transaction, Jean Coutu Group shareholders will receive an aggregate consideration which will consist of 75% in cash and 25% in METRO common shares. The price of $24.50 per Jean Coutu Group Share implies a premium of 15.4% to the volume weighted average price of the Class A subordinated voting shares of the Jean Coutu Group for the 20 trading days ending August 21, 20 17 (the day prior to the execution of a non-binding letter of intent between METRO and the Jean Coutu Group).
Most of the deal FWF discussion on this merger can be found in the Metro (Symbol-MRU) topic.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams