Inter Pipeline Ltd (Symbol-IPL) (formerly IPL.UN)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
retireat50
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Inter Pipeline Ltd (Symbol-IPL) (formerly IPL.UN)

Post by retireat50 »

Anyone receive notification from IPL that they have sent the form into CRA. I submitted about 2 months ago and have not heard a peep from them.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

retireat50 wrote:Anyone receive notification from IPL that they have sent the form into CRA. I submitted about 2 months ago and have not heard a peep from them.
No notification from them. I did call a few weeks back to make sure they had received the election form from me, which they confirmed.

2 yen
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

retireat50 wrote:Anyone receive notification from IPL that they have sent the form into CRA. I submitted about 2 months ago and have not heard a peep from them.
Haven't heard anything either. You would think they could have handled this better.

In any event, I advised BMOIL that I had made the election and they immediately changed my on-line cost for IPL and hopefully trading summary will reflect that. I kept a copy of the documents I sent to IPL. So, if ever audited, I will have backup showing I did everything I could.
j831robert
Contributor
Contributor

Post by j831robert »

I am pleased to note that my mailbox on Dec 31st contained the promised confirmation from Inter Pipelines Ltd that my original forms have been submitted to CRA. Copies of all returned to me with the admonition that 'these copies not be sent to the taxation authorities'. Just as an aside I note that their covering letter to me was date stamped Nov 19 2013. Sort of made my end-of-year day for me :lol:
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

I waited until December 1st (the original deadline) to send them my calculations and forms. I left a phone message asking if they would still process it if they received it a day or two late. Two days later I read of their extension to all shareholders who hadn't yet filed. A day after that a customer service rep phoned to inform me of the extension and said "as long as you've submitted a detailed ACB calculation, we just forward it with the tax form off to CRA. We don't bother to check the numbers if it looks logical and detailed." They are still clearly swamped and I'm not concerned about when I receive confirmation of their filing with CRA; I am satisfied they are sending them on and I'll get that confirmation sometime in the new year. It's heartening, though, to know they've started.
Regards,
Pickles
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

j831robert wrote:I am pleased to note that my mailbox on Dec 31st contained the promised confirmation from Inter Pipelines Ltd that my original forms have been submitted to CRA. Copies of all returned to me with the admonition that 'these copies not be sent to the taxation authorities'. Just as an aside I note that their covering letter to me was date stamped Nov 19 2013. Sort of made my end-of-year day for me :lol:
Glad to hear that. I submitted not long after you, so I suppose I should get mine soon.

BMOIL corrected my average cost to reflect my acb, after I advised them of my election. I presume the trading summary will reflect this too.

I have not sold any IPL, so basically it should not enter into this years tax return.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

j831robert wrote:I am pleased to note that my mailbox on Dec 31st contained the promised confirmation from Inter Pipelines Ltd that my original forms have been submitted to CRA. Copies of all returned to me with the admonition that 'these copies not be sent to the taxation authorities'. Just as an aside I note that their covering letter to me was date stamped Nov 19 2013. Sort of made my end-of-year day for me :lol:
Mine arrived today.

2 yen :D
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

I got mine too - A few days ago.
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by schmuck »

Anyone know what happened with IPL today???

Big gain with daily volume about 20 times normal, most of it just before the close.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

MSCI added IPL to the world index. The index change is effective today. I'm guessing that index funds and ETFs drove the unusual volume before the close.

http://www.bloomberg.com/article/2014-0 ... XZJ_c.html
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by schmuck »

Thanks ig.
I wonder if that would explain three separate blocks over 100k shares changing hands. One of them 463k shares...that's $13.87 million.
DividendLuvr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DividendLuvr »

This is zooming along perfectly!
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

schmuck wrote:I wonder if that would explain three separate blocks over 100k shares changing hands. One of them 463k shares...that's $13.87 million.
Easily.

MSCI added IPL to MSCI Canada Index, among other indexes.

That means that iShares MSCI Canada ETF (Ticker:EWC) has to own IPL. We don't know at what weight, but it's easy to estimate.

IPL has 0.53% weight in XIC, about the same as GWO (0.51%) and THI (0.51%). GWO is 0.64% of EWC. THI is 0.62% of EWC. IPL has to be about the same weight.

EWC has $3,080,633,388 in assets. Multiply by 0.62%: $19.1 million

That's just one ETF.
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

ig17 wrote: Easily.

MSCI added IPL to MSCI Canada Index, among other indexes.

That's just one ETF.
Sounds like there would have been an opportunity for those in the know to make some $$$$$.

Maybe thinking that way because of a book i am reading:

http://www.amazon.com/Street-White-Coll ... B005WWC6D0

Good read so far.
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Anyone else using TaxFreeway to complete a return that includes IPL?

TFW's T5013 form has just 12 entry boxes on right side. The IPL T5013 I received uses 14. Can't see how to add more boxes. I have sent an email to TFW. Just hope they have not gone away for Easter!
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

There is another topic, http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 2&t=117024, that discusses IPL's T5013 and tax software.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:There is another topic, http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 2&t=117024, that discusses IPL's T5013 and tax software.
Yes, I saw that, but it was more U-File oriented. I did see from that thread that some boxes may not be needed. Maybe I should look at a paper return and see what it wants.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Springbok wrote:Yes, I saw that, but it was more U-File oriented. I did see from that thread that some boxes may not be needed. Maybe I should look at a paper return and see what it wants.
I suspect most software is designed the same way, not including boxes that do not need to be reported. After all, all tax software is certified by CRA using a wide range of test returns. If there is no box in the software, assume the data is not required.

Added: Here is a partial (paraphrased) quote from one of the founders of Simple Tax on another forum
Certified is the correct word. There are over 2500+ tests across dozens of fictional tax situations. You need to pass every single test to get certified—in other words, you need to have a 100% pass rate. Each product should give identical results, however some products may differ in that they optimize certain credits for you (e.g. if you're married, figuring out who is best to claim your donation credits).

As for legitimacy, we do sign agreements with the CRA, but they don't perform a background check (to my knowledge). Same goes with security, which is why we try to make everything as transparent as possible. We put our names and photos on our website for this very reason.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

AltaRed wrote:I suspect most software is designed the same way, not including boxes that do not need to be reported.
Yes, when I tried to enter box 42, ROC, in SimpleTax, it didn't accept it.
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

AltaRed wrote: I suspect most software is designed the same way, not including boxes that do not need to be reported. After all, all tax software is certified by CRA using a wide range of test returns. If there is no box in the software, assume the data is not required.
In Taxfreeway, the boxes are all blank. You put in your own numbers. Problem I had, was that there were not enough blank boxes on T5013.

I entered data in StudioTax as a test. For IPL, it only required 118,133, total of 135s, 151 and 210. Thus 030, 113, 132, 134, 169, 170 and 211 not required. TaxFW, will require individual 135s by country because it appears to complete the other foreign tax form (T2209) which requires a breakdown of foreign income by country, if foreign tax paid is over $200.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... o.headline

Any thoughts on this purchase by Interpipeline? Alta Red, what do you think of this?

2 yen
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I am normally adverse to pipeline companies getting into the commodity business, unless it is strictly a cost of service operation with minimal exposure to commodity prices. Clearly, IPL is taking on significant commodity price risk here and a big gamble on Notley's 'value added' push for more processing in AB. These things often do not end well for a variety of reasons, including niche products, and political ideology rather than economics, Williams learned the hard way across North America that commodity price exposure is not really their game and now wants to shed a lot of that exposure continent wide.

That said, Williams is essentially being forced into a 'fire sale' here and IPL is picking up the assets at a discount at a tough time in the commodity cycle. Only time will tell if this makes sense.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Speaking of tough times, IPL is yielding 7% now and taking a bit of a beating. I have always hesitated on this one because of oil sands exposure.

At 7%, ya gotta ask yerself, "do you feel lucky?"
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

JaydoubleU wrote: 11 Aug 2017 17:55 Speaking of tough times, IPL is yielding 7% now and taking a bit of a beating. I have always hesitated on this one because of oil sands exposure.

At 7%, ya gotta ask yerself, "do you feel lucky?"
Pipelines should be treated as a utilities. Unfortunately it is considered energy and when the energy sector takes a hit it seems that pipelines follow the hit. With ETFs pipelines get dragged down with the oil and gas sector. Just a theory. I wish they were being traded on fundamentals.
newin96
Contributor
Contributor

Post by newin96 »

If they truly are being dragged down because of ETF related energy groupings, and the fundamentals remained solid it would be a buying opportunity - is this a chink in the efficient market hypothesis brought on by the emergence of ETFs?

As an aside I'm not proud of my run-on sentence.... :roll: