BCE (Symbol-BCE)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: BCE (Symbol-BCE)

Post by AltaRed »

It seems this morning at least, Bell is bouncing back while Telus and Rogers continue to slip. Perhaps influenced by overnight upgrades/degrades by analysts. I suspect we will all look back this Fall and wonder what the volatility and excitement was all about.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

AltaRed wrote:It seems this morning at least, Bell is bouncing back while Telus and Rogers continue to slip. Perhaps influenced by overnight upgrades/degrades by analysts. I suspect we will all look back this Fall and wonder what the volatility and excitement was all about.
Might have something to do with the decision coming down after 4 p.m. today of BCE's attempt at buying Astral Media to see if it has the go-ahead from the federal broadcast regulator.

ltr
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

FinEcon wrote:In most protected markets, foreigners cannot buy a firm which gives them more than some stated % but in theory, they can start small and grow their share to any number.
Ahh, thanks for that, I probably didn't understand that part correctly. Sound like typical gummint, they're protecting us, but they're not protecting us.
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by schmuck »

AltaRed wrote: I suspect we will all look back this Fall and wonder what the volatility and excitement was all about.
Reminds of the temporary damage to telco stocks in 2007 after the CRTC announcement to allow foreigners to participate in spectrum auctions.
I took that opportunity to buy Telus. Seems to me Telus went down as much as 15% in 07, and Rogers about 12%.
I already own plenty of BCE and T this time around, but took a chance and picked up Rogers today.
Don't know if we're anywhere near the market bottom, but I've been waiting a long time to deploy more cash and don't want to miss the opportunity entirely.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Well, it seems if BCE can't dominate the wireless market, it can at least dominate Canadian media.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/06/27 ... ref=canada

I am curious to see how the stock will perform tomorrow. BCE is a significant holding of mine.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Time to sell and rebuy when the neverendum scare hits?
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
End Times
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by End Times »

Is anyone else eagerly following the recent downtrend and looking to buy?

I'm thinking it might dip back down to $45-46...
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

BCE to buy Manitoba Telecom in deal worth $3.1-billion - The Globe and Mail
BCE will pay $40 per share, which represents a premium of 22 per cent to Manitoba Telecom’s close on Friday.
Didn't somebody say this wouldn't happen? :lol:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Not trading up to its $40 offer price yet ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Manitoba Telecom shareholders will have a choice of receiving C$40 in cash or 0.6756 of a BCE share for each share held.

BCE said it would pay 55 percent of the purchase price in stock and the remainder in cash.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I suspect a cash and stock offer will result in MBT stockholders having a disposition event. If so, watch for some ETF phantom re-invested distributions again.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Chuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Chuck »

BRIAN5000 wrote:Not trading up to its $40 offer price yet ggrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
I'm guessing there is going to be a bit of a discount running until regulators approve the deal.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

Shakespeare wrote:Didn't somebody say this wouldn't happen? :lol:
That must have been me, as I sold my MBT earlier this year in the mid $32's. Actually, I didn't say that, it was more of an opportunity to get out of a long under-performing thing at a small gain. Impeccable timing.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I think the ref was to the prov gov's golden share. This deal may have been catalyzed by the recent Manitoba election.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Shakespeare wrote:This deal may have been catalyzed by the recent Manitoba election.
I think that is a pretty astute observation, given the size of the hole MB has dug themselves into after a decade or more of sorry gov't. I have to wonder when Brad Wall will start to float his boat as well. Offing SaskTel is a no brainer.
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

Shakespeare wrote:Didn't somebody say this wouldn't happen? :lol:
That may have been me, when the federal government was keen on having four mobile competitors for each major market. This deal will reduce Manitoba, and in particular Winnipeg to three. We have yet to see how the new federal government will react: (1) CRTC (2) Competition Bureau (3) Industry Canada (4) Cabinet.

I'm sure BCE has been visiting all the right people, but then they may get surprised, given that this government still is working on a lot of its policies, and is unlikely to do anything that is unpopular with the middle class (as opposed to investors).

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

It doesn't seem to me that the, er, fourplay is working. It seems to have lost Wind.
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

Shakespeare wrote:It doesn't seem to me that the, er, fourplay is working. It seems to have lost Wind.
Shaw has recently acquired Wind. While the combined entity only has a million subscribers right now, Shaw may be able to leverage its cable base in the West. As to Ontario and Quebec, there are new rules allowing Wind to roam on Bell's Telus' and Rogers' networks, thus appreciably enlarging its footprint. Whether that will help is still unknown.

George
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

Singapore thinks that going from three to four mobile service providers will make a big difference.
Although it can claim one of the highest cellular penetrations in the Asia-Pacific region, Singapore’s highly saturated mobile sector has been stagnant for some years, with little change in the market shares of the three main players, SingTel, StarHub and M1. All this is set to change, however, with the award of spectrum to a fourth operator later this year and its expected launch towards the end of 2017.

<snip>

To entice a would-be newcomer, IDA is setting a lower reserve price of SGD35 million on the fourth-telco spectrum, representing a 45% discount on the standard reserve price. .... To further ease the passage for a new player, IDA has laid down relatively relaxed rollout requirements for the fourth licensee, giving it a ‘reasonable period’ to roll out its network; it is required to achieve nationwide outdoor service coverage by October 2018.

Unsurprisingly, IDA’s discount strategy has drawn a cool response from the big three, who have rejected the need for a fourth network operator altogether and warn that the introduction of further competition will result in a poorer consumer experience
Gosh, that sounds familiar.

George
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

A month and a half and no move towards $40ish for MBT, anybody sell this yet?

If I do sell it it will bring my percentage Telecom more into line with proposed portfolio allocations but with only two Telecoms Telus & BCE.

Anyone have some ideas for use of funds if it does disappear. I have this in my Utilities sector that is proposed to be divided evenly between Telecom, Pipelines and Power companies.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

BRIAN5000 wrote:my Utilities sector that is proposed to be divided evenly between Telecom, Pipelines and Power companies.
huh?

Pipeline companies are Energy sector.
Telecom companies are Telecommunications sector.
Power Companies are Utilities sector.

ltr
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

So what sector is Fortis in? FTS

What about TRP - Energy, Infrastructure or a 60%(?) regulated utility?

A utility stock is a stock for a company that is found in the Utilities Sector. These companies include water, gas, electric and other infrastructure firms. In recent years alternative energy production has been added as a subset of the traditional utility companies.
Last edited by BRIAN5000 on 13 Jun 2016 19:04, edited 2 times in total.
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

BRIAN5000 wrote:So what sector is Fortis in? FTS
Fortis is part of the Utility sector.

As defined by Barclays XIU TSX60
Capture.JPG
As defined by TDDI Research.
Fortis Inc. (Fortis) is a Canada-based electric and gas utility company.
The Company's segments include Regulated Utilities and Non-Regulated Utilities.

ltr
Chuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Chuck »

BRIAN5000 wrote:A month and a half and no move towards $40ish for MBT, anybody sell this yet?
I'm holding on for my $40. Although I may live to regret it.

Shareholder approval vote is scheduled for June 23. Assuming that will pass, I guess we'll find out if the regulators are going to meddle (at some point anyways, regulatory wheels can turn slowly). Hopefully, Bell has been schmoozing behind the scenes before they even made the offer, but who knows with the CRTC. As I recall MTS had informal approval for their first attempt to unload Allstream, but the CRTC flip flopped on that one.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

I think $39 and I'm gone, getting close. :shock:

Manitoba Telecom Services, Inc. (MBT.TO) -Toronto
38.61 Up 0.34(0.89%) 4:00PM EDT
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Chuck wrote:
BRIAN5000 wrote:A month and a half and no move towards $40ish for MBT, anybody sell this yet?
I'm holding on for my $40. Although I may live to regret it.
It's more than $40 if you take BCE shares and sell them off $42.70 ish but you may not get all cash. (45/55 split .6756 shares of BCE per MBT)

Mine are gone at $38.98 see what happens.