Royal Bank (Symbol-RY)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Royal Bank (Symbol-RY)

Post by Bylo Selhi »

twa2w wrote:I think RBC made a mistake in selling the US branch network.
Snowbirds alone weren't enough to keep Centura profitable? :rofl:
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

twa2w wrote:They were looking too hard at what they paid for it and the return they were getting on that price. They should have looked at the current value and said what is the upside from here.
A common flaw of corporate ego thinking that I've witnessed in my career. What was paid for it is irrelevant other than for tax writeoffs. But it is a human trait (look at how many posters here are reluctant to sell because they paid too much for it and cannot bear the loss, or OTOH still try to calculate/justify their current dividend rate on a low ACB).
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Jaunty
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jaunty »

Bylo Selhi wrote:
twa2w wrote:I think RBC made a mistake in selling the US branch network.
Snowbirds alone weren't enough to keep Centura profitable? :rofl:
I have a RBC USA account in Fl and had been thinking of moving to TD. I bank with TD in Canada and the TD branch is closer to me in Fl since the purchases TD made in the last 1 1/2 years. Neither bank is going to make much money from my banking in the US - mostly just on-going expenses for our place and gas purchases on my RBC USA credit card (it accesses our zip code at the pump). We mostly use our TD (Canada) US$ credit card and have the money deducted automatically from the account here.
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

twa2w wrote:I think the cap markets/wealthmgnt side in the US is more competitive right now than branch banking is.
RBC Ranks First in Investor Satisfaction, J.D. Power Study Says
RBC Wealth Management, the unit of Toronto-based Royal Bank of Canada (RY) that oversees almost $200 billion for more than 350,000 households, won the highest satisfaction ranking in a survey of full-service investment firms’ customers, according to J.D. Power & Associates.
gggupup
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gggupup »

Technically, RY has been showing support around 54.16 and resistance in the 59.95 range. It is upgraded to strong buy with the 70.02 target price in six months.

Check here:
"http://www.stoxline.com/quote.php?symbol=ry"
Stoxline.com
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Jaunty wrote:I bank with TD in Canada and the TD branch is closer to me in Fl since the purchases TD made in the last 1 1/2 years. ..
Was anyone else surpirsed to see the presence TD has in the TD Boston Garden?
For the fun of it...Keith
westinvest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westinvest »

mpav wrote:Good move. US banking is just too competitive...let them focus on the capital markets/wealth management side.

Will be interested to see if they take equity in PNC, they are a good well run bank, and would be wise to still have some skin in the US...just let Americans run the show.
I use RBC for their cross-border banking, with accounts at both RBC Canada and RBC USA. I received an email this morning that they intend to continue this service (eg: online transfers, US based credit card) and enhance it following the sale, so it would appear that there will be an ongoing business relationship.
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

westinvest wrote:
mpav wrote:Good move. US banking is just too competitive...let them focus on the capital markets/wealth management side.

Will be interested to see if they take equity in PNC, they are a good well run bank, and would be wise to still have some skin in the US...just let Americans run the show.
I use RBC for their cross-border banking, with accounts at both RBC Canada and RBC USA. I received an email this morning that they intend to continue this service (eg: online transfers, US based credit card) and enhance it following the sale, so it would appear that there will be an ongoing business relationship.
Can you tell us more about this? Must you have a US address to open an account with RBC USA or can you open an account from Canada?
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
westinvest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westinvest »

The account can be opened in Canada, and no US address is required. It has the advantage that it uses the US banking system for cheques and for credit card transactions, which can be useful.

More info here: http://www.rbcbankusa.com/specialtybank ... 96799.html

Previous discussions:
http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 8&t=113089
http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 8&t=109415
http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 5&t=101812
and others ...

As a senior, the Canadian side account is free. The US side is free with minimum balances.
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 07 Feb 2014 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replace old domain name with www.financialwisdomforum.org to reflect new domain name effective 19-Jan-2014
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by zinfit »

I am a winter Texan. I opened an account with the USA RBC. After a few months I found no reason for contining with this account and I closed it.
DavidR
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DavidR »

zinfit, did you at least get a free toaster out of the deal :D
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

It appears that Royal Bank have agreed to sponsor the PGA Heritage Golf Tournament that is held each year at Harbourtown links at Hilton Head Island, SC. The tournament has been without a sponsor since late 2009 when Verizon dropped the sponsorship.

This is a quotation from the press release:
RBC's Jim Little, the chief brand and communications officer, said the Heritage sponsorship will help build the company's U.S. presence. "The RBC Heritage provides very attractive opportunities for our U.S. businesses to reach target markets and foster new business development," he said.
Not sure if Mr. Little knows his company's US operations just got sold ;)

If this report is accurate, it appears that RBC will go ahead with the sponsorship.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

They still have the wealth-management business, for which championship golf is a target audience.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by zinfit »

No toaster and a useless account. I am surprised they haven't thought through their USA banking strategy. There is plenty of dissatisfaction about banking services for Canadian snowbirds . Any Canadian bank could have done very well in exploiting this opportunity.
westinvest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westinvest »

westinvest wrote: I use RBC for their cross-border banking, with accounts at both RBC Canada and RBC USA. I received an email this morning that they intend to continue this service (eg: online transfers, US based credit card) and enhance it following the sale, so it would appear that there will be an ongoing business relationship.
RBC is now sending out the details of the transition of their cross border banking. The "enhancement" appears to be the $19.95 monthly service fee for the preferred chequeing, which was formerly free with min balance of $5K. To quote the package:

"To simplify and avoid the need to track monthly minimum balance
requirements, our new packages remove these qualifiers and reduce
the monthly maintenance fee."

Simplify it is. Bye....
mpav
Contributor
Contributor

Post by mpav »

Springbok wrote:It appears that Royal Bank have agreed to sponsor the PGA Heritage Golf Tournament that is held each year at Harbourtown links at Hilton Head Island, SC. The tournament has been without a sponsor since late 2009 when Verizon dropped the sponsorship.

This is a quotation from the press release:
RBC's Jim Little, the chief brand and communications officer, said the Heritage sponsorship will help build the company's U.S. presence. "The RBC Heritage provides very attractive opportunities for our U.S. businesses to reach target markets and foster new business development," he said.
Not sure if Mr. Little knows his company's US operations just got sold ;)

If this report is accurate, it appears that RBC will go ahead with the sponsorship.

They only sold their US branch network, they still have a huge wealth management business and capital markets buisness in the US that dwarfs a lot of their peers here....actually in many cases it is comparable to global players....one slide from a investment package had them in the top ten globally for wealth management (not sure how it was measured).

I suspect to do investment/corporate banking and trading you still need a lot of name recognition...so they will keep that stuff up. Now RBC arena in Carolina might be another story.
jeebuz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jeebuz »

westinvest wrote:
westinvest wrote: I use RBC for their cross-border banking, with accounts at both RBC Canada and RBC USA. I received an email this morning that they intend to continue this service (eg: online transfers, US based credit card) and enhance it following the sale, so it would appear that there will be an ongoing business relationship.
RBC is now sending out the details of the transition of their cross border banking. The "enhancement" appears to be the $19.95 monthly service fee for the preferred chequeing, which was formerly free with min balance of $5K. To quote the package:

"To simplify and avoid the need to track monthly minimum balance
requirements, our new packages remove these qualifiers and reduce
the monthly maintenance fee."

Simplify it is. Bye....
I also decided to close my RBC USA account after noticing the new monthly fee. There must be a lot of people closing their RBC Access USA accounts as a result of unhappiness with the fee as the customer service rep who handled my call when I tried to close my account offered to waive the monthly fee for a year _and_ removed the minimum balance requirement. I imagine you can get the same deal as I got.

- Jeebuz -
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Down almost $2 today. If it gets below $50, I might add some.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
biker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by biker »

Shakespeare wrote:Down almost $2 today. If it gets below $50, I might add some.
Did you buy at $49.99 today?
Live like you are dying but invest like you are immortal.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old ; they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I did two purchases this morning on COS and SJR.B. Others can wait until next week.
Shine
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shine »

Shakespeare wrote:I did two purchases this morning on COS and SJR.B. Others can wait until next week.
Have been mulling both of these equities for the past week. Both seem undervalued to me with COS a bit more risky.

How do you classify SJR.B in terms of asset allocation within your portfolio?

There were two sexy news stories today regarding BCE and Telus - I am sure you know both the stories - any thoughts on those news items?
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

If I heard correctly, this just in, Heard now on BNN, rumur has it Royal bank will maybe downgraded after the bell by Moody's !
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

BRIAN5000 wrote:If I heard correctly, this just in, Heard now on BNN, rumur has it Royal bank will maybe downgraded after the bell by Moody's !
You heard right Brian. 15 Major Investment Banks See Ratings Cut by Moody's (including Royal Bank Of Canada)
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

From CBC
Moody's cut RBC's long-term deposit rating by two notches to Aa3, saying it faces a high probability of needing government support because of the exposure of its global investment banking operations to a possible financial crisis.

A downgrade usually means that it becomes more costly for banks to raise money by selling debt. Investors demand higher interest for riskier debt, which is what the downgrades represent.

The Royal Bank said the downgrade will not affect its clients and will have a minimal impact on its business.

"RBC remains one of the strongest and highest rated banks in the world. That category crosses a number of classifications in terms of credit ratings, in terms of capital base and in terms of balance sheet," the bank said in a statement.

"While Moody's has changed their overall view of the capital markets industry, RBC Capital Markets has been consistently profitable, thanks to a strategic and measured approach to growth and prudent risk management," RBC said in a statement.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom