How to invest in gold?

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
mewmew
Contributor
Contributor

How to invest in gold?

Post by mewmew »

I want to buy some gold for "safety" but don't want to put money in any related ETFs or stocks.

Is buying Maple Leaf Gold coins the way to go? I have no experience in it. Can anyone share?

In particular, I want to know:

1. Ease of buying/selling
2. Transaction costs (fees, etc) in buying/selling
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How to invest in gold?

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

While I personally wouldn't invest in gold you might want to review our wiki article Gold - finiki, the Canadian financial wiki for some ideas and then come back to this topic if you have further questions on the topic.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
longinvest
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by longinvest »

mewmew wrote: 18 Feb 2018 10:47 I want to buy some gold for "safety" but don't want to put money in any related ETFs or stocks.
Safety from what?
  • Volatility? Bond prices are much less volatile than gold prices.
  • Inflation? Real-Return Bonds are much better at this, as their face value and coupons are actually indexed to the CPI.
  • Disaster? Paper money, food, and water are much better to barter in such situations.
  • What else?
Variable Percentage Withdrawal (finiki.org/wiki/VPW) | One-Fund Portfolio (VBAL in all accounts)
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

Best gold investment I ever made was a wedding ring.

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
randomwalker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by randomwalker »

For the purchase (investment ?) of precious metals I have a rarely used account with Kitco. Might be a starting point for you.

http://www.kitco.com/