TWO TFSA Accounts - Which Two Stocks? ENB/TD

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
frankrom
Contributor
Contributor

TWO TFSA Accounts - Which Two Stocks? ENB/TD

Post by frankrom »

Hey Everyone,

I have two maxed TFSA accounts one for myself and one for my wife. Right now I hold ENB in both and that's it. I am starting to second guess that a bit and feel as if maybe I should sell one TFSA and hold TD in it... so one would hold ENB and the other would hold TD bank.

ENB has a stronger dividend one that is to grow 10-12% over the next 5 years? TD has a smaller dividend but maybe a better growth prospect? Maybe ENB is even a better growth prospect long term? It has been flat for a while now.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Frank
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: TWO TFSA Accounts - Which Two Stocks? ENB/TD

Post by AltaRed »

As long as you and your wife are together, and you consider your wealth 'pooled', what difference does it make where an individual asset is? OTOH, if your wife truly wishes to steer her own account, that decision is hers as to what she wants in it.

FWIW, I don't see why it matters which one might have higher dividend growth rate. What matter is Total Return in the decades going forward. I will venture TD will be better longer term but your 8 sided dice is as good as mine.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
frankrom
Contributor
Contributor

Post by frankrom »

Oh I don't care which one is held where...

I was simply asking whether I should hold one stock in both or would you recommend holding splitting the TFSA into two different stocks... to mitigated risk...

IE. ENB doesn't do as well as I hoped... now both my TFSA are below where they should be where as if ENB doesn't do as well and TD takes off... it would have been better to split the TFSA.

It isn't about which one to hold where more so as just the idea of splitting the tfsa into two stocks
frankrom
Contributor
Contributor

Post by frankrom »

May I ask how many stocks you hold in your TFSA(s)?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I am now in withdrawal mode in my investment portfolio and currently hold 1 stock and 1 mutual fund in my TFSA, Eventually it will be only the 1 mutual fund. I simply don't like to mess with individual stock holdings smaller than about $30-50k each.

That said, with a $60k TFSA, and those relatively new in starting out with small investment portfolios with most of their net worth in the TFSA, one might have 5 holdings, of not less than $10k each.

Over time, it is possible to have 1 stock in each of several sectors (e.g. 10 stocks or so in total) and be reasonably diversified, or more appropriately with larger portfolios, ~20 stocks for a diversified portfolio.

Others, of course, believe in a passive approach with perhaps 3-5 ETFs and be done.

To come back to your question, whether you have 1 (ENB or TD) or 2 stocks (ENB and TD) depends on your current diversification.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
frankrom
Contributor
Contributor

Post by frankrom »

Well...

In our RRSP I simply invest in VTI (vanguard S&p) it is a forget about it for 30 year strategy and take what the market gives, the TFSA I decided to take a similar approach with 1 or 2 stocks hence my question... Just pick 1 or 2 good quality stocks with a decent dividend and see where I am at in the future.

The majority of my wealth is all non-registered where I do more of my active management where I hold a few ETFs but lately I have been developing a small portfolio of stocks ... I am aiming for 10-12 not including any ETFs

Enjoy your retirement :)
bpither
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bpither »

Wife and I each have maxed TFSA's, now garnishing a substantial tax free income. Brookfield Infrastructure is the big capital gains winner plus distribution growth since 2011. I've balanced that off with one Reit and Altagas Receipts, with their similar mixed distribution types ie. Return of Capital but with limited growth. Instead of the Enbridge parent which I own in my non registered account (with TD my largest holding) I purchased the Income Fund.

I don't need the TFSA income yet so I plow everything back into my portfolio of 8 stocks. Works for me ... so far
"We have two classes of forecaster: Those who don’t know and those who don’t know they don’t know.” John Kenneth Galbraith