Nutrien Ltd. (TSX and NYSE: NTR)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Nutrien Ltd. (TSX and NYSE: NTR)

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

The Potash and Agrium merger is complete, Agrium and PotashCorp Merger Completed Forming Nutrien, a Leader in Global Agriculture | Nutrien.
Nutrien wrote:02 Jan 2018 09:00Nutrien common shares will trade on the Toronto Stock Exchange and the New York Stock Exchange under the ticker symbol NTR beginning today. Trading of common shares of Agrium and PotashCorp was halted on the Toronto Stock Exchange and New York Stock Exchange concurrently with the listing of Nutrien common shares on such exchanges. The merger of equals resulted in PotashCorp shareholders receiving 0.40 common shares of Nutrien for each common share of PotashCorp they owned, and Agrium shareholders received 2.23 common shares of Nutrien for each common share of Agrium they owned.
I checked my TD DI account and as of the time of this post I've still got Agrium shares shown in holdings.

For reference, the previous FWF topics were: Agrium (Symbol-AGU) and Potash (POT).

I don't know what the TSX and NYSE exchange rules are for re-issuing symbols, but if Nutrien was so inclined, I suspect they'll have tried to keep the POT symbol, given the current hype. It might have some residual value.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Nutrien Ltd. (TSX and NYSE: NTR)

BNN has answered my question about the POT symbol, POT ticker symbol up for grabs as Nutrien starts trading - BNN
BNN wrote:BNN reached out to the Toronto Stock Exchange after Nutrien () began trading on Tuesday and was told that there is a 53-week waiting period before an applicant can inherit a discontinued symbol.

TSX spokesperson Catherine Kee also noted that under the exchange’s rules new issuers are assigned a symbol based on the company’s name.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

AT TD DI my Agrium shares are now gone and Nutrien shares have appeared. I double-checked that my cost basis reflects my AGU cost basis, confirming my instructions documented in this post.

kukucanuck
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kukucanuck »

What happens to fractional shares after conversion at TDDI?
The converted shares from AGU to NTR showed up in my account. Only whole number of shares is shown. Fractional share (0.29) is missing
Assume it will get paid out in due course.
kukucanuck
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kukucanuck »

As of this morning, the value of fractional shares from conversion from AGU to NTR has not been credited by TDDI, two weeks after conversion I tried calling them but gave up after five minutes of wait. The Email link under contacts does not work either.

Any feed back or experience relating to this from other NTR shareholder, doing business with TDDI or other brokers.

Individually, it may not mean much. However, collectively it adds to lot of shares not being credited to shareholders.
Hammerer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hammerer »

Nutrien seems to have inherited Agrium’s dividend currency policy, where Canadian residents would get paid in Canadian dollars, while others would get US dollars.

But holders could elect either way.

I think Potash paid in US$ no matter what.

Since I had Potash on the US side with TDW, should I be journaling it to the Canadian side? Or will TDW see that it’s on the US side and do the right thing?
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

Can't speak directly to this Q, but we hold two dual-listed stocks at TDDI that declare dividends in US$, and despite that the stock websites state that one can request dividends be paid directly in C$, TDDI doesn't do that - so if these stocks were held in the Canadian account, the US$ dividends would be converted to CS$, net of TDDI's vig. Accordingly I journalled both to the US account, where we receive US$.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
Hammerer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hammerer »

kukucanuck wrote: 05 Jan 2018 13:28 What happens to fractional shares after conversion at TDDI?
The converted shares from AGU to NTR showed up in my account. Only whole number of shares is shown. Fractional share (0.29) is missing
Assume it will get paid out in due course.
Payment for the fractional came out yesterday.
kukucanuck
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kukucanuck »

Yes, it did!
kukucanuck
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kukucanuck »

pmj wrote: 16 Jan 2018 22:22 Can't speak directly to this Q, but we hold two dual-listed stocks at TDDI that declare dividends in US$, and despite that the stock websites state that one can request dividends be paid directly in C$, TDDI doesn't do that - so if these stocks were held in the Canadian account, the US$ dividends would be converted to CS$, net of TDDI's vig. Accordingly I journalled both to the US account, where we receive US$.
Does "Journaling" the security such as Nutrien to US$ account to receive dividends in US$ (avoiding exchange) impact the manner in which the dividends are treated for Canadian tax purposes. A Canadian dividend is taxed at a lower rate than US dividend. Would the dividend received in US $ be subject to 15 percent withholding tax?

i am also with TDDI
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

kukucanuck wrote: 20 Jan 2018 10:12 Does "Journaling" the security such as Nutrien to US$ account to receive dividends in US$ (avoiding exchange) impact the manner in which the dividends are treated for Canadian tax purposes.
No.
kukucanuck wrote: 20 Jan 2018 10:12 Would the dividend received in US $ be subject to 15 percent withholding tax?
No.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
snowback96
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by snowback96 »

Hammerer wrote: 19 Jan 2018 22:58 Payment for the fractional came out yesterday.
This post was from a week ago. I am also expecting a fractional share cash payout (from Agrium share conversion), but so far nothing has arrived in my BMOIL account. I'm wondering what the holdup could be?

Has anybody with BMOIL received payment for fractional shares? Likewise, are clients of any other brokers still waiting?
Profit not Prophet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Profit not Prophet »

Well it's been a year. I'd considered Agrium in the past. Any shareholders have any thoughts on the future prospects for this stock. A trade, buy and hold, stay away? To me the easy pickings are the widows and orphans... banks, tlecom, utility, cnr bam and so on. When we get to these I like the 3+% div as were building towards a div stream for tax purposes. On the other hand I've not had much luck with pull something from ground and sell it.

Cheers
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Generally not a good thing when the CEO leaves abruptly ...

Nutrien Announces CEO Transition | Business Wire
Nutrien wrote:SASKATOON, Saskatchewan--(BUSINESS WIRE)--The Board of Directors of Nutrien Ltd. (TSX and NYSE: NTR), the world's largest provider of crop inputs and services, announced today that Mayo Schmidt has left his position as President and CEO of Nutrien and has resigned from the Board. Ken Seitz, Executive Vice President and CEO of Potash, has been named the company’s interim CEO. Mr. Seitz brings extensive global leadership experience in the agriculture and mining sectors and is well-positioned to progress the company’s stated strategy and lead the integrated business during the transition.
Particularly when they've only been CEO since April 2020 ...

Nutrien Announces Appointment of Mayo Schmidt as President and CEO | Business Wire

naps069
Contributor
Contributor

Post by naps069 »

I purchased a bunch of companies when the corona crashed happened, with NTR being one of them. I liked the fact that I felt fertilizer was needed in the world and felt that it would be a great long term hold. Its been my best performer. I'm not overweight in the sector, but I'm beginning to be overweight with NTR in general.

Anyone else thinking of trimming some NTR?
"If it doesn't make dollars, it doesn't make sense"-Cant remember
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

naps069 wrote: 07 Mar 2022 09:01 I purchased a bunch of companies when the corona crashed happened, with NTR being one of them. I liked the fact that I felt fertilizer was needed in the world and felt that it would be a great long term hold. Its been my best performer. I'm not overweight in the sector, but I'm beginning to be overweight with NTR in general.

Yes
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

naps069 wrote: 07 Mar 2022 09:01 I purchased a bunch of companies when the corona crashed happened, with NTR being one of them. I liked the fact that I felt fertilizer was needed in the world and felt that it would be a great long term hold. Its been my best performer. I'm not overweight in the sector, but I'm beginning to be overweight with NTR in general.

37% of the world's potash comes from Russia and Belarus, according to Natural Resources Canada. Given the war in Ukraine, NTR might have further to run.
Hammerer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hammerer »

Spudd wrote: 08 Mar 2022 11:43

37% of the world's potash comes from Russia and Belarus, according to Natural Resources Canada. Given the war in Ukraine, NTR might have further to run.
And 40% of world exports.

I don't think invasion-driven sanctions will impact their ability to export. Maybe a slight change in customer mix, but there just isn't enough potash to block them from exporting entirely (a la Iran/Iraq and oil). And other than US (whom presumably gets its potash from Canada), it's mostly developing economies that import it and wouldn't sign onto sanctions.

What I could see happening is Russia and Belarus consolidating sales+marketing (again), instead of competing against each-other, and raising prices OPEC-style. They'll need the hard currency.

Over-extraction is a long-term risk if too many producers enter the fray.

NTR is more than potash, but I think potash is what makes it special.
par4
Contributor
Contributor

Post by par4 »

What about Mosaic? US answer to Nutrien.
Hammerer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hammerer »

par4 wrote: 09 Mar 2022 02:24 What about Mosaic? US answer to Nutrien.
Nothing objectively wrong with it. Heaviest in phosphate than potash. No nitrogen production. I'd see Mosaic as complementary, but I don't hold them.

Their (low) dividends aren't 'eligible dividends', so you get hit with IRS withholding in cash/TFSA.
kumquat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kumquat »

Hammerer wrote: 10 Mar 2022 18:33
Nothing objectively wrong with it. Heaviest in phosphate than potash. No nitrogen production. ......
No retail either.
I don't intend to offend anyone, that part is just a bonus.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.
brady
Contributor
Contributor

Post by brady »

most of Nutrien's sales are in the US as is their retail distribution network. Mosiac's Potash mines are in SK but they are smaller than Nutrien's .
long
Contributor
Contributor

Post by long »

What is your opinion on NTR today.
Why it goes down? Can it be a good entry point?
Attachments
NTR.png
NTR.png (12.63 KiB) Viewed 986 times
We learn from history that we do not learn from history
core
Contributor
Contributor

Post by core »

I added NTR to my watchlist as I had seen interest from value folks on this and other message boards.

Lo and behold, goes from 92 to 97 within an hour today.
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by schmuck »

I was tempted to pick some up on Thursday but held off, hoping I might get it cheaper after the long weekend. Can't win em all I guess. :(