What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2018)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2018)

Post by AltaRed »

For that reason, I would never touch IPL at this time. Wait until this big project is nearing completion/nearing startup because IPL is no SU or CNQ when it comes to managing such big projects. Odds are it will have cost and schedule overruns if they don't have an experienced project management team, and it could need additional funding. IOW, this is a huge bet for a company of this size.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Dudsy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dudsy »

AltaRed wrote: 02 Feb 2018 22:44 For that reason, I would never touch IPL at this time. Wait until this big project is nearing completion/nearing startup because IPL is no SU or CNQ when it comes to managing such big projects. Odds are it will have cost and schedule overruns if they don't have an experienced project management team, and it could need additional funding. IOW, this is a huge bet for a company of this size.
Just as devils advocate; the dearth of major projects should help somewhat with obtaining the right procurement, engineering and construction talent. It will be interesting to see if that era of huge cost overruns is done. I think this is a great project for the industry and kudos to IPL for taking it on.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

It will certainly help with ample EPC expertise being available in the marketplace, but is the owner's team that needs to provide the real discipline for cost plus (or performance based) contracts. The head bangers at SU and CNQ knew how to roll heads when needed. After all, they are the ones paying the bills.

I spent over 20 years being on the owner's side of PM teams, including a few in the multi-billion range. You gotta know what you are being fed. An in-experienced owner's team should be a red flag in most instances. Course IPL can contract for some of that as well, and they should.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
nisser
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by nisser »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/report- ... e33971804/
Suncor delays and cost overruns...

IPL may deliver or it might not but I still believe that the whole sector is oversold due to poor sentiment.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

The entire sector is oversold, starting with Enbridge that had a dismal 2017. It's partly negativity towards energy, pessimism towards pipelines, and now interest rates. Energy has rallied a little but pipelines aren't following. I'm already overweight with ENB, ENF, TRP and PPL, but may consider adding to one of these next week, if I can sort out my future priorities. I'd lean toward ENB or TRP simply because of size=lower cost of capital.
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Well, somebody has to kick off the crash... :wink:

Bought 100 VTI and 150 VXUS when both reached 5% down from their 52 week highs.

Will do that again at -10%

and at -20%

and...
lacrosse905
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lacrosse905 »

I am still buying and nibbling at Laurentian Bank, I plan to buy and hold it... under 10x earnings good dividend and hopefully they are able to rise above the mortgage setback.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Bought a bit more VCNS in LIRA and then I should have went and laid down to let the feeling pass cause a bought some ZEO too. Looking for 20 % plus dividend in a year on ZEO, small amount, dartboard shot.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Koogie wrote: 05 Feb 2018 13:13 Well, somebody has to kick off the crash... :wink:
Well done with the foreshadowing :wink: Just came back from walking the dog and saw the end of day swoon.

Sadly still didn't hit any of my stink bids. Am I took pessimistic I wonder?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
shmenge
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shmenge »

Added TD, BCE, NA and TRP. What better time for stocks to plunge and go back on sale than at RRSP season :D
If you want to buy stocks why would you want them to rise in price? - Warren Buffett
The Stock Market Speculator
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Added 140 ENF to TFSA, cleaning out remaining cash.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Enough's enough: added to ECI, ENB, BCE and AQN right at the open.

Nothing justifies the degree of this sell-off. The only news on ECI I can see is, "Enercare announces monthly dividend."
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Added EMA to my LRIF.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Profit not Prophet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Profit not Prophet »

Sometimes the market reminds me of young men rushing to join up to get in on 'over there' before it's over. Put on some khaki and see the world. I'm giving it time until I wave goodbye to my Johnny CaBuck$. I'm wishing I raised more cash right now :)

edit to add this neat quote today '“Playtime is officially over, kids,” analysts at Rabobank said. “Rising volatility painfully reminds some investors that one-way bets don’t exist.”
Last edited by Profit not Prophet on 06 Feb 2018 10:18, edited 1 time in total.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Added EMA to my LRIF.
EMA high on the list of what to add to next. Also looking at PPL and NPI.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Sometimes the market reminds me of young men rushing to join up to get in on 'over there' before it's over. Put on some khaki and see the world. I'm giving it time until I wave goodbye to my Johnny CaBuck$. I'm wishing I raised more cash right now :)
Nothing wrong with the economy this time, just market psychology.
Profit not Prophet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Profit not Prophet »

nothing wrong just in the markets head >>That's what I'm hoping.

But I've moved to quick in the past and I'm going to be chill, which is easy because it's February. If it was like groundhog day over and over it would be so easy. I'm viewing it through the prism of early 50yr old that would like to join the idle grey hair mentors here....cheers
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Added to BCE and started a new position in ATD.B, BIP.UN, NTR and BAM.A in my cash account.
Banks will have their day so I will be buying RY March OTM puts (likely the 76$ strike) just in case.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

Added to BCE and EMA.

BCE and EMA are the top two stocks in Safer Canadian Dogs screen. Both trade close to 52 week lows and yield more than 5%. Hard to resist the temptation.
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

jay wrote: 06 Feb 2018 10:48
Banks will have their day so I will be buying RY March OTM puts (likely the 76$ strike) just in case.
Pretty good bet I think. Everything I’ve seen points to a good first quarter. I think the banks are way oversold. But I always say that.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

SQRT wrote: 06 Feb 2018 11:59
Pretty good bet I think. Everything I’ve seen points to a good first quarter. I think the banks are way oversold. But I always say that.
You do realize his bet is that RY may go down (a handful of bucks if USD, almost 25% if CAD)?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

Bought 100 shares of IVZ-N (Invesco Ltd.) the global asset manager noted for the Trimark and Powershares brands. This is an initial position and I will add if the sell-off continues as fund managers tend to be a leveraged play on a market recovery. It's also a nice dividend growth and share buyback story.
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

adrian2 wrote: 06 Feb 2018 12:04
SQRT wrote: 06 Feb 2018 11:59
You do realize his bet is that RY may go down (a handful of bucks if USD, almost 25% if CAD)?
Exactly. Banks have been holding well but I am betting there will be volatility in the coming weeks, so I bought insurance. Risked $1,000 CAD against an overweight financials position that can easily faily 5-10% in the short term, and causing my PUTs to pay the equivalent of 10X, possibly more.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

JaydoubleU wrote: 06 Feb 2018 09:52 Enough's enough: added to ECI, ENB, BCE and AQN right at the open.

Nothing justifies the degree of this sell-off. The only news on ECI I can see is, "Enercare announces monthly dividend."
What needs to be justified?

Everyone is either just right or maybe six months to early with their buying. If some other shock and I have no clue what it could be of some sort hits around now things could get interesting.

My IPS says I can roll all dividends & interest back into portfolio and X amount a month ( X * 12 months = 8%), I'm already 2 X for February. Good thing I didn't get up early or would have had more BCE at $54 something ggggrrrrrr.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
shmenge
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shmenge »

200 sh of LIF to say goodbye to what shekels I have left!
If you want to buy stocks why would you want them to rise in price? - Warren Buffett
The Stock Market Speculator