What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2018)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2018)

Post by AltaRed »

Added to my MAW104 holding in my TFSA early this week. Concept is to leave this alone until I push daisies.... Mawer imploding notwithstanding.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

It was an exciting day in the Koogie household as I put in 6 orders !! Four to use up the TFSA contributions by adding to existing and two in DW RRSP to use up a little money we had put there after Christmas (also to existing positions). Of course, only 2 of those orders filled ( :evil: ) but I'll adjust the rest on Monday to fill them. Not vast sums of money but that will probably be about 50% or more of the trades we make this year.

TFSAs - SRU.UN / T / PWF / ZUT

RRSP - NWC / ENB
bpither
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bpither »

Altagas Receipts @ 28.51 with new TFSA contributions. They're trading at a slight discount to the common shares. If the WHG Holdings deal goes through in the US then they'll trade the receipts for the common. If not I'll get the issue price of $31 back. In the meantime - 7.5% yield.
"We have two classes of forecaster: Those who don’t know and those who don’t know they don’t know.” John Kenneth Galbraith
ockham
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ockham »

Earlier today did my annual TFSA purchase -- added to existing position in VXC. VXC is a near to ideal product for those who value frugality, simplicity, diversity, and passivity. I say "near to ideal" and not "ideal" because I continue to wait for Vanguard to shave a few bps off its .27 mer.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

ockham wrote: 08 Jan 2018 13:04 Earlier today did my annual TFSA purchase -- added to existing position in VXC. VXC is a near to ideal product for those who value frugality, simplicity, diversity, and passivity. I say "near to ideal" and not "ideal" because I continue to wait for Vanguard to shave a few bps off its .27 mer.
Be happy....though your competing alternative is XAW with an MER of 22bp. Those of us stuck with legacy XWD in a non-reg account are paying 47bp. :evil:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

ockham wrote: 08 Jan 2018 13:04 Earlier today did my annual TFSA purchase -- added to existing position in VXC. VXC is a near to ideal product for those who value frugality, simplicity, diversity, and passivity. I say "near to ideal" and not "ideal" because I continue to wait for Vanguard to shave a few bps off its .27 mer.
Isn't it still also just a wrap of US Vanguard funds ?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Most likely but why does that matter?
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

In the USD side of a couple of accounts, added to existing holdings of Vanguard FTSE Developed Markets ETF (VEA), paid $46.11. Due to USD dividends received, there was finally enough USD cash to purchase VEA in board lots (100 shares) to almost deplete the USD cash in these accounts.

Asset allocation to International equity was further from target than US equity, so this takes a step towards rebalancing.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

AltaRed wrote: 08 Jan 2018 14:07 Most likely but why does that matter?
Just remembering a post by Bortolotti a couple of years ago that said that introduces a higher MER via tax bleed. Don't know if that still holds true.

""In a recent blog post, Justin Bender estimated the impact of foreign withholding taxes on RRSP investors who hold VXC. He then considered how investors might reduce those taxes by instead holding its four underlying US-listed ETFs. The results were pretty dramatic: if you also factor in the management expense ratios, the total cost of VXC in a retirement account is 0.71%, compared with just 0.19% for the US-listed ETFs.""

*also, it has always pissed me off that Vanguard Canada hides that information on their website.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

But that is irrelevant for a decision of holding an ETF or ETFs, or whether VXC held the securities directly. There still would be a withholding tax loss if VXC is held in a RRSP or TFSA because the ETF itself is Cdn domiciled.

Holding a US domiciled ETF itself is an entirely different issue.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Thegipper wrote: 02 Jan 2018 18:44 Bought 900 shares in AAR.UN. I like the 6 PE and a 4.8 yield. I like the narrative. In the age of Amazon and e-commerce the demand for warehouse space is very strong. They have a solid footprint in both Canada and the USA. It also fits in with my strategy for our TFSAs.
Just sold it for a nice short term gain . Used the proceeds to buy WIR.U which is a similar REIT. The rise of e-commerce makes this type of REIT attractive. Outfits like Amazon need warehouse space and distribution centres. This REIT is very well positioned in the USA.
Hammerer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hammerer »

Completely missed Laurentian Bank's Bought Deal offer. I put in a stink bid, but it looks like whomever got into the bought deal will have an instant return of a few percent.
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hogwild »

Hammerer:

Any particular reason why Laurentian is so cheap? Are they overexposed to the housing market or something?
beachcomber
Contributor
Contributor

Post by beachcomber »

Picked up another 500 FTS on another low ball bid this morning. I seem to recall Buffet recently having good words to say about buying utilities - but can't remember what he said ;-)
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

beachcomber wrote: 10 Jan 2018 19:38 Picked up another 500 FTS on another low ball bid this morning. I seem to recall Buffet recently having good words to say about buying utilities - but can't remember what he said ;-)
He said something along the lines:

"we buy utilities to stay rich, not to get rich"

Are you trying to get rich or stay rich? :D
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

AltaRed wrote: 08 Jan 2018 15:15 But that is irrelevant for a decision of holding an ETF or ETFs, or whether VXC held the securities directly. There still would be a withholding tax loss if VXC is held in a RRSP or TFSA because the ETF itself is Cdn domiciled.

Holding a US domiciled ETF itself is an entirely different issue.
It matters WRT to the EAFE holdings. Directly held EAFE equities would only lose 1 level of FWT whereas VXC’s wrap structure leads to 2 levels of lost FWT(EAFE and US).

Hard to make a case for buying VXC these days considering XAW is both cheaper and more tax efficient.
beachcomber
Contributor
Contributor

Post by beachcomber »

ig17 wrote: 10 Jan 2018 19:55
beachcomber wrote: 10 Jan 2018 19:38 Picked up another 500 FTS on another low ball bid this morning. I seem to recall Buffet recently having good words to say about buying utilities - but can't remember what he said ;-)
He said something along the lines:

"we buy utilities to stay rich, not to get rich"

Are you trying to get rich or stay rich? :D
the latter :-)
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

gsp_ wrote: 10 Jan 2018 20:02 It matters WRT to the EAFE holdings. Directly held EAFE equities would only lose 1 level of FWT whereas VXC’s wrap structure leads to 2 levels of lost FWT(EAFE and US).
Thank you for pointing out that omission. I forgot about that second level of withholding tax. I actually prefer direct holdings rather than wraps but for the most part, wraps are efficient and the providers don't double dip on 'fees'.
peter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peter »

Not very exciting, but I bought VAB in the largest financial transaction of my life :) Sold all REITs and some US ETFs so I know have 25% cash/bonds. No interesting individual stock insights but my overall balance sheet has changed so much since I started investing I substantially changed my asset allocation from 0 to 25% bonds. I also bought a subscription to PrefLetter, anticipating running out of registered room for VAB in the nearish future.
rharvey199
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rharvey199 »

looking to add to bep-un and maybe cu. bep-un down over 5% since jan 1 (excl dividend). looks ok for a long term hold.
kenwood
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kenwood »

Initiated positions in ema and bce in my dividend portfolio. Both went down hard after I bought. Perhaps I should have wait till interest rate decision next week instead of jumping in early.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

No one likes to experience that situation, but if these are long term holds, you will have forgotten about it soon enough. It's sheer coincidence to catch either the bottom or the top on anything.
kumquat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kumquat »

Time to get rid of VCM. Doubled shortly after I bought it and hasn't moved for too long. I'll predict a buyout offer at about a 30% premium as soon as transaction clears.
I don't intend to offend anyone, that part is just a bonus.

Science flies men to the moon. Religion flies men into buildings.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

I looking at trimming some by my dividend payers inside my TFSA and the proceeds will be used to buy Rogers Sugar and Enercare. Both look like solid and stable dividend payers. My goal is to use our TFSAs as a source for dividends.
Thanh
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Thanh »

New year, new contribution to my TFSA and used it to add to an existing H&R REIT (HR.UN) position.