What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2018)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
nile
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2018)

Post by nile »

bought bce lb pow aco.x ema and cm
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

Bought back half of the BUD I sold at beginning of month for $103.50.
bindexit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bindexit »

Recently took a small position in Emera Inc (TSE:EMA), just under $40.
Re: Increasing weight in utilities, copy catting some posters recent purchase, no other analysis. Inflation is a concern and so added small position.
shmenge
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shmenge »

bindexit wrote: 20 Feb 2018 11:48 Recently took a small position in Emera Inc (TSE:EMA), just under $40.
Re: Increasing weight in utilities, copy catting some posters recent purchase, no other analysis. Inflation is a concern and so added small position.
me too :thumbsup:
I believe it's on sale.
If you want to buy stocks why would you want them to rise in price? - Warren Buffett
The Stock Market Speculator
thedude99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thedude99 »

shmenge wrote: 20 Feb 2018 15:11
bindexit wrote: 20 Feb 2018 11:48 Recently took a small position in Emera Inc (TSE:EMA), just under $40.
I believe it's on sale.
Why on earth would anyone add to utilities now??
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

thedude99 wrote: 22 Feb 2018 13:51
shmenge wrote: 20 Feb 2018 15:11
I believe it's on sale.
Why on earth would anyone add to utilities now??
Every trade requires a willing buyer and a willing seller agreeing on a price.
Why on earth would you presume that there are no buyers, regardless of the price? :twisted:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Profit not Prophet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Profit not Prophet »

I don't normally trade much but it's the winter and there's been some cash building up in the various rsp tsfa and all those other pockets. I did a half dozen buys. Counting back the previous half dozen takes me back to early summer 2017.

-I bought 100 Visa few days ago.
-A big 50 more RY in a tfsa to sop up some cash. Have plenty of it and TD but tossed the coin as I couldn't bear having it in a hisa even at the new wee bit higher rates.
-Directed a similar 5k smidge at mawer 150 smaller cap global.
-The big new deal was I actually bought some of the new Vanguard VBAL. Thought I'd try out the 'training wheels for seniors' :) I'm not there by any stretch but it seemed a handy place for a spousal account 25k.
-Ah yes I bought 200 CGX cineplex just to liven up the stable. On the plus side the div is still being paid and it's heck of a lot cheaper than a year or 18 months ago. $50 bucks is now low 30's. makes it now comparable to it's Americian cousins on the metrics :)
When I buy stuff it always goes down for at least the day. If I intentionally wait a day or two to buy it goes up. Anyone else notice this?
Last edited by Profit not Prophet on 23 Feb 2018 23:04, edited 1 time in total.
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

I entered orders (they haven't been taken up yet, afaik) for CFF (Conifex Timber) and SPS.A (Sportscene pubs) on the basis of valuation. I bought my first tranche of CFF in October and I'm up 50% since then, but it still seems undervalued. I'm more hesitant about SPS.A, but my screener is telling me it too is undervalued, so hopefully the bet will pay off. They don't always.
morleymarkle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by morleymarkle »

A couple of hundred shares of ENF in my RRSP - file and forget.
nisser
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by nisser »

3 shares of GOOGL :)
Had a little bit of cash left over from some sales and didn't know what to do with it.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

had some cash kicking around and bought Nutient and Shopify. Hard to find anything to get excited about in Canada. Just seems that SHOP continues to grow at an extraordinary level and Nutrient should be well positioned to exploit the AG economy. It has the fertilizers and the distribution network. It's stock price presents a true value investment?
Profit not Prophet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Profit not Prophet »

Yes I did 2 shares of google too just forgot to add it to the pile of my market moving trade up yonder. was 1105 now 1117 so I'm up $36 bucks. Right on :thumbsup:
bindexit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bindexit »

Recently added some Enbridge Income Fund Holdings Inc. (TSE:ENF) just below $28
re: increasing weight in utilities, copycatting some here and at Canadianinsider.ca, no other analysis. Inflation is a concern so added "some".
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

With another 3-4 rate hikes likely this year by the Fed in the USA, it seems BoC will have to follow suit...for the most part. Another 50 bp here will have more impact on interest sensitive stocks. I don't think the 'damage' is over.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
morleymarkle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by morleymarkle »

Copycat purchased a couple of hundred of EMA for my TFSA. Intention is to turn on DRIP for both this and my recent ENF purchase - so if there are lower prices ahead, maybe can capture a little bit of that.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Started a one-third position in Tourmaline Oil (TOU) at $18.38 via two separate purchases, one in non-registered account and one in TFSA. So did I make this purchase you ask? If I had to classify my investment style, a few traits come to mind, patient, diligent and contrarian. Way back in 2015 I posted
Peculiar_Investor wrote: 19 Nov 2015 14:25 Does anyone follow Tourmaline Oil? AltaRed? I've sort of followed them off and on for a while, mostly based on the thesis of the management team being a smart bunch who've had previous success, Shell to Acquire Duvernay Oil for C$5.27 Billion (Update4) - Bloomberg. Based on my research to date, Tourmaline seems like somewhat of a reincarnation of Duvernay Oil, which interests me as I'll explain below.

Back in the days of oil and gas royalty trusts, a reasonable successful investment thesis was to watch the juniors that got acquired by the trusts and see where the management team ended up. The good management teams that enjoyed success as exploration companies had reduced interest in the business once it became an operating producer. So they sold to the royalty trusts who wanted the operating assets, waited until their non-complete expired and restarted another junior exploration company, typically with some prime assets hived off from the sale of the previous company. Back in the heydays of the tech boom I enjoyed reasonable successful in the energy sector using this thesis. Now I'm wondering it the time is right to revisit it.
I've continued to follow Tourmaline off and on since then, updating my analysis toolset every quarterly earnings release. SInce that 2015 post, I've liquidated holdings in Cenovus (CVE) and Encana (ECA) for tax loss harvesting, with the viewpoint of potentially re-entering the positions. Our other holding in the Energy sector is Royal Dutch Shell (RDS.A).

In the end, I decided that Tourmaline, based on a number of metrics and because I think they have one of the better management teams in the sector, was a better fit to my investment style and our portfolio than re-establishing the CVE or ECA positions. I'm probably too early and since TOU is trading nearer to its 52 week lows, I'm chalking this one up as a patient, contrarian play that I believe will work out in the long term. Time will tell.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

You are basically tipping the hat to a "highly effective" management team unlocking value in transportation bottlenecked Alberta versus CVE/ECA moving more of their capex stateside. Definitely need steely patience on this one. A FID (final investment decision) on one of those West Coast LNG plants would do wonders for 2022+ cash flows and make your investment a multiple.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

AltaRed wrote: 02 Mar 2018 16:43 You are basically tipping the hat to a "highly effective" management team unlocking value in transportation bottlenecked Alberta versus CVE/ECA moving more of their capex stateside.
Yabbut, my investments should be on the receiving side of the stateside capex spending and stateside competition via my #1 holding, VTI.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Bought second tranche of VBAL, selling VT. Dropped equity allocation from 58% to 52%; I'm nervous about a trade war. VBAL now 28% of portfolio.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

The consumer staples sector in our taxable portfolio required fresh money.

Added to shares in Metro (MRU) today. Nice steady dividend growth over the years.

As long as a company's price ratios don't look ridiculously expensive before buying, that's about the extent of my financial analysis nowadays.
bindexit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bindexit »

Bought back into:

Sciti Trust (TSE:SIN.UN) $7.90

Holding for same reasons previously: diversification, re-invested distributions (DRIPs), and ease to manage.

Note: When posting my last sale of this, I found an article that Scotiabank had an agreement to sell SMCA to another entity (details below). However, I am not sure if this transaction was ever completed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/brief-s ... SFWN1JA0N7
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

bindexit wrote: 07 Mar 2018 11:37 Bought back into:

Sciti Trust (TSE:SIN.UN) $7.90

Holding for same reasons previously: diversification, re-invested distributions (DRIPs), and ease to manage.

Note: When posting my last sale of this, I found an article that Scotiabank had an agreement to sell SMCA to another entity (details below). However, I am not sure if this transaction was ever completed.

https://www.reuters.com/article/brief-s ... SFWN1JA0N7
Can you give me a little information about this trust? What is it's focus ?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Sensei
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Sensei »

Hi,

I added to an existing position in Digital Realty Trust, a US REIT. Lots of reasons, but mainly it's in the right space at the right time. Here's the blurb from G&M:
Digital Realty Trust, Inc. supports the data center and colocation strategies of more than 600 firms across its secure, network-rich portfolio of data centers located throughout North America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Digital Realty's clients include domestic and international companies of all sizes, ranging from financial services, cloud and information technology services, to manufacturing, energy, gaming, life sciences and consumer products.
Not a big dividend, but the total return possibilities are attractive.

I also opened a position in Tekla Healthcare Investors (HQH) The main reason is it's focus on bigger Biotech companies weighted at 71% which fits with a CEF portfolio I'm finishing out. It pays a substantial though variable dividend. Also respectable growth curve if past performance is any indication. G&M blurb:
Tekla Healthcare Investors is a diversified closed-end management investment company. It primarily invests in the healthcare industry (including biotechnology, medical devices, and pharmaceuticals). The Fund's objective is to provide long-term capital appreciation through investments in companies in the healthcare industry. Tekla Healthcare Investors, formerly known as H&Q Healthcare Investors, is based in Boston, Massachusetts.
Cheers

"A dividend being paid today is always a positive return." Josh Peters, Morningstar
bpither
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bpither »

Canadian Utilities @ $34

Why?
1) 46 years of dividend growth, a Canadian record
2) 10% dividend increase for 2018 and record earnings
3) A- credit rating, the highest of any utility
4) Are interest rates going up THAT much in Canada?
5) At 4.6% the yield is at, or near the highest of the century.
6) Not sexy like Facebook, Tesla or Alphabet but over the long run it's a boring defensive holding in an overvalued market.
"We have two classes of forecaster: Those who don’t know and those who don’t know they don’t know.” John Kenneth Galbraith