What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2018)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2018)

Post by JaydoubleU »

My IPS says I can roll all dividends & interest back into portfolio and X amount a month ( X * 12 months = 8%), I'm already 2 X for February. Good thing I didn't get up early or would have had more BCE at $54 something ggggrrrrrr.
Not really sure what this means, or whether you're happy or mad you didn't buy BCE at $54.50. I just meant there is no event or bad news that I can see to explain the massive drop I saw in my portfolio upon opening. It was so completely RED that I could only conclude investors or speculators or computers or whatever are selling indiscriminately. Or they are selling ETFs that hold all my stocks. I bought a few that looked especially beaten up, and then I reloaded the gun and fell asleep with my novel.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

JaydoubleU wrote: 06 Feb 2018 15:51
My IPS says I can roll all dividends & interest back into portfolio and X amount a month ( X * 12 months = 8%), I'm already 2 X for February. Good thing I didn't get up early or would have had more BCE at $54 something ggggrrrrrr.
Not really sure what this means, or whether you're happy or mad you didn't buy BCE at $54.50. I just meant there is no event or bad news that I can see to explain the massive drop I saw in my portfolio upon opening. It was so completely RED that I could only conclude investors or speculators or computers or whatever are selling indiscriminately. Or they are selling ETFs that hold all my stocks. I bought a few that looked especially beaten up, and then I reloaded the gun and fell asleep with my novel.
There is talk that risk parity funds will have to do a lot of equity selling given the recent spike in volatility. VIX remains high above 30. I also noticed tons of activity in XIU OTM puts (June $20). Someone is making a very large bet that that XIU will drop 10% or more in the next six months.
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by schmuck »

Got orders filled for TD and VGT (Vanguard tech) at the opening bell. Missed out on a few others. :(
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

I also noticed tons of activity in XIU OTM puts (June $20). Someone is making a very large bet that that XIU will drop 10% or more in the next six months.
Wow. Well, I am making some relatively small investments in companies. In the next six months, there's pretty good odds I'll still be with Bell (BCE) and near certainty ENB will be heating my home and water.

I must say though, it is a bit of a relief to finish the day in the green for a change.
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

jay wrote: 06 Feb 2018 12:37
adrian2 wrote: 06 Feb 2018 12:04
SQRT wrote: 06 Feb 2018 11:59

Pretty good bet I think. Everything I’ve seen points to a good first quarter. I think the banks are way oversold. But I always say that.
You do realize his bet is that RY may go down (a handful of bucks if USD, almost 25% if CAD)?
Exactly. Banks have been holding well but I am betting there will be volatility in the coming weeks, so I bought insurance. Risked $1,000 CAD against an overweight financials position that can easily faily 5-10% in the short term, and causing my PUTs to pay the equivalent of 10X, possibly more.
Right. I missed it was a put. Should have paid more attention. Sorry.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Not really sure what this means, or whether you're happy or mad you didn't buy BCE at $54.50.
Not sure if I'm happy or mad yet didn't buy BCE most likely would have, it went through my buy price then my better buy price then my wish upon a star price all while I was sleeping. Thought about getting up early this morning, actually woke up, then said the heck with it and went back to sleep. Just rounding things off in wifes portfolio FTS looked good too. I was spending my cash to soon so the IPS rule was to spread purchases over a longer time period in case markets keep falling.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Not sure if I'm happy or mad yet didn't buy BCE most likely would have, it went through my buy price then my better buy price then my wish upon a star price all while I was sleeping. Thought about getting up early this morning, actually woke up, then said the heck with it and went back to sleep. Just rounding things off in wifes portfolio FTS looked good too. I was spending my cash to soon so the IPS rule was to spread purchases over a longer time period in case markets keep falling.
Got it. Yes, FTS is looking enticing. Been awhile since I've seen it yielding over 4%.
bcjmmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bcjmmac »

400 CNQ @ $39.38
1000 ZEO @ $9.50
Deploying cash, adding to current positions & looking for longer term rebound in oil/gas.
Futures point to DOW opening lower - likely another volatile day. Maybe more bids will get filled :thumbsup:
newin96
Contributor
Contributor

Post by newin96 »

Venturing more into ALA... Assuming my bid goes through, will have a 1/2 position.
If the WGL deal goes through the receipt conversion will provide the other half of a full position - planning to hold a very long time.
If you can't believe management - who can you believe? :wink:
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

Bought some IPL, ENF, RNW and CU with proceeds from the sale of some BMO, NA and SIA. The latter 3 had become too large a percentage of my portfolio for comfort, so converted to an income raise with the first four. Now I own all seven companies with about the same dollar value of each.

2 yen
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

Bought some XEF mid day as I slowly begin to redeploy some cash into the market
3-time winner of FWF Annual Stock Market Predictions contest
westcoastfella
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westcoastfella »

Added to existing positions in CHE.UN, SPB, and AX.UN, from sale of some convertibles in RRSP. CHE especially, at 16.50 - haven't seen it there for a long time... have more cash to add to existing positions if we see another roller coaster ride
newin96
Contributor
Contributor

Post by newin96 »

newin96 wrote: 07 Feb 2018 18:25 Venturing more into ALA... Assuming my bid goes through, will have a 1/2 position.
Caught 1000 shares half way on its latest slide down...
Will have to see what it does in the next 10-15 years.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

IIRC a good buy on a bank is about 8 times earnings at the moment BMO is 12 X about $8 earnings which puts it about $96 with some apoptotic multiple contraction and earnings slash of about 50% that puts it about $32, scary thought.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

Tried to buy BCE today as it fell to $56.65 despite good earnings & good prospects. Royal Direct appeared to be down, giving me an "unable to obtain quotes" message on the buy page and it didn't register my order. Called the 1-800 number and there was a 1 hour wait. Not sure what the problem is. BCE continues to slip down so I'll try again later today.
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
FinEcon
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by FinEcon »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 08 Feb 2018 13:18 IIRC a good buy on a bank is about 8 times earnings at the moment BMO is 12 X about $8 earnings which puts it about $96 with some apoptotic multiple contraction and earnings slash of about 50% that puts it about $32, scary thought.
Understatement of the year. In a normal market environment, if you can get a big 5 Canadian bank at 8 times stabilized normalized earnings, you should own nothing but 5 stocks in your entire portfolio.
Show me the incentive and I will show you the outcome

--Charlie Munger
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

Bought BCE at $55.8 with cash obtained by selling some of my AAR.UN at 3c less than the 20% premium offered in the takeover. Considering the positive earnings recently and the drop in price that gives it a 5.34% dividend I think it will work out.
Royal Direct trading website was down yesterday until well after closing.
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Koogie wrote: 05 Feb 2018 13:13 Well, somebody has to kick off the crash... :wink:

Bought 100 VTI and 150 VXUS when both reached 5% down from their 52 week highs.

Will do that again at -10%

and at -20%

and...
Well, there goes my -10% trigger.

Another 150 VXUS and 100 VTI.

See you again at -20% !!

:P
bcjmmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bcjmmac »

Picked up VDU (all cap ex US) VFV (S&P) & TD. ETFs replace e-series funds I sold a few week ago, TD is Aussi cash I repatriated a few weeks back. All long term buys.
Scraps will be put in TD e-series next week.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

I guess I wasn't paying too much attention as I'm doing my weekend update of financial transactions and discovered that I finally hit a "stink bid" yesterday.

Initiating a new position in Bank of Montreal (BMO) @ $94.53 in my spouses non-registered account. From an investment policy point of view this is essentially rebalancing through additional cash flow during accumulation. Canadian equities and fixed income asset classes remain the furthest from our target weights. Within the equity asset class, we are underweight financials, so have been looking for opportunities. The only other Canadian bank holding we have is Scotiabank (BNS).

The rationale for picking BMO specifically is to test out the strategy "of buying a laggard among the five biggest names in the banking sector works more often than it misfires, producing market-beating results over the longer term."1 This strategy has been occasionally discussed on FWF, although I cannot seem to find a dedicated topic on the subject. I didn't fully adhere to the strategy as purchasing BMO was purely an addition rather than a replacement.

Our allocation to the financial sector is now essentially at our target weight, which is NOT the S&P/TSX weighting.

1 A simple stock-picking strategy you can bank on - The Globe and Mail (paywall?)
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
thedude99
Contributor
Contributor

Post by thedude99 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 10 Feb 2018 09:39 I guess I wasn't paying too much attention as I'm doing my weekend update of financial transactions and discovered that I finally hit a "stink bid" yesterday.

Initiating a new position in Bank of Montreal (BMO) @ $94.53 in my spouses non-registered account. From an investment policy point of view this is essentially rebalancing through additional cash flow during accumulation. Canadian equities and fixed income asset classes remain the furthest from our target weights. Within the equity asset class, we are underweight financials, so have been looking for opportunities. The only other Canadian bank holding we have is Scotiabank (BNS).

The rationale for picking BMO specifically is to test out the strategy "of buying a laggard among the five biggest names in the banking sector works more often than it misfires, producing market-beating results over the longer term."1 This strategy has been occasionally discussed on FWF, although I cannot seem to find a dedicated topic on the subject. I didn't fully adhere to the strategy as purchasing BMO was purely an addition rather than a replacement.

Our allocation to the financial sector is now essentially at our target weight, which is NOT the S&P/TSX weighting.

1 A simple stock-picking strategy you can bank on - The Globe and Mail (paywall?)
What % of your portfolio is in the banks? I'm about 9% overall which is higher than i would like but would be facing some tax hits if I reduced too much. This includes MFC and SLF but for the most part it's all in 4 of the 5 Cdn banks
rharvey199
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rharvey199 »

been nibbling away at CNR. will likely add to BEP-UN as it seems to have settled down and will bring it up to full position in my RSP. BNS starting to look interesting.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

thedude99 wrote: 10 Feb 2018 14:21 What % of your portfolio is in the banks?
Just providing a number without context probably doesn't provide any real information. So I took the opportunity to give an answer here.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

What % of your portfolio is in the banks? I'm about 9% overall which is higher than i would like but would be facing some tax hits if I reduced too much. This includes MFC and SLF but for the most part it's all in 4 of the 5 Cdn banks
For sectors I use a general rule of thumb over 10 % in any sector less than 30%. Not sure why you think 9% is to much?

I divided the Financials into 60% Banks 30% Insurance and 10% financial management, they all tend to overlap a bit but I think it's better then just holding banks only. Have a look at CEW.to as well I use a modified version of that.
beachcomber
Contributor
Contributor

Post by beachcomber »

Well, I was quite excited when Vanguard recently set up their 3 balanced ETFs. Thought I would do some bottom fishing, and put in a buy order for 1000 VGRO @ 23.75. Watched the Dow and S&P come thundering down and managed to cancel my order before the price fell to 23.30. I definitely will try again this week - perhaps @ 22.75. The joys of not having a broker or FA ;-)