What did you sell? What might you sell? (2018)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

What did you sell? What might you sell? (2018)

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

This topic is where you can post actual or potential sells in 2018! We'd ask that you please include your rationale for the education of other FWF'ers. Posting that you sold nnn shares of company ABC for $xx without explaining what was behind the decision is just scorekeeping and doesn't really benefit others.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you sell? What might you sell? (2018)

Post by scomac »

Sold out of my position in (SHYG) iShares 0-5 Year High Yield Corporate Bond ETF. I held it for a bit over a year as a boost to our fixed income allocation. Return was OK at 4.6%, but not really commensurate with the risk being assumed. Decided to reallocate in favour of higher return potential while maintaining current risk level.
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

MRE;
Had a nice run for the last couple of months but is moving down.

GIL;
Bought early Dec. and hit breakeven today.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

Sold 500 CGX (Cineplex). Even with the upcoming 'blockbusters', just got tired of waiting for a smooth revenue stream. 100% gain since 2010.

2 yen
ockham
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ockham »

Earlier today sold my only REIT, Riocan (REI.UN). It's a position I opened way back in Feb 2006. Gain of 47.52% exclusive of the monthly distributions. A company with dimming prospects, it would seem, plus I don't really need the monthly cash flow. I'll use the sale proceeds to add to some existing positions (e.g., NTR, CTC.B, ATD.B). All of this in a taxable account.
westcoastfella
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westcoastfella »

I sold my Pure Industrial (AAR.UN) yesterday on news of the sale, for $8.10. A very healthy 80% gain over ACB, plus 3 years of dividends, made this a winner - and in my TFSA so tax free to boot. I have not decided where to put the proceeds, but I do want to keep it invested in REIT's. Looking for another industrial REIT - I saw some discussion about WIR.U in the REIT thread so will look at that, as well as others.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Just wanted to chime in that I'm over the moon I sold my Corus Entertainment last year---for a loss. scroll up The 17% plunge today following yet another abysmal report confirms that this was a dud. Stay tuned for an announcement of a dividend cut. (and don't let those analysts or brokers deceive you that the 12.43% yield is sustainable)
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Re-balancing time in the RRSP's. Started last month and continuing this month to sell Canadian, U.S. and International indexed equities so that I can buy more of the TD e-Series Canadian bond fund in order to keep my targets in order.
goleafsgo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by goleafsgo »

Trimmed long-time BCE holding in wife's RRSP........also re-balancing.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Microsoft is becoming to large of a position in my portfolio thinking about trimming some.

(Reported In a conventional way MSFT now makes up just under 1% of whole portfolio (EQ & FI 40/60))
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

1% of the portfolio is too large???

My largest is TD at 3.7%. I would reduce at 5%, others at 10%.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Shakespeare wrote: 12 Jan 2018 18:22 1% of the portfolio is too large???

:thumbsup:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Shakespeare wrote: 12 Jan 2018 18:22 1% of the portfolio is too large???

MSFT
Percent to whole portfolio EQ & FI 40/60 0.99%
Percent to whole EQUITY portfolio (ETF's included) 2.43%
Percent of US + CAN Div portfolio 3.24%
Percent of US Div portfolio 14.32%

MSFT has an overwhelming impact on my US dividend portfolio as long as it's going up thats good but I think I need to spread the dollars around the other 14 stocks a bit.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 12 Jan 2018 18:37 Percent to whole EQUITY portfolio (ETF's included) 2.43%
That is the measurement that I would examine to make a determination on whether to trim or not. How many equity positions, ETFs do you hold?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

There is a fundamental difference between how Brian views his portfolio versus many of us. I can understand why someone might look at the equity portion separate from the fixed component, but have no idea why Brian, for example, would break it down further within the equity portion.

If he is only 40% equity, I'd suggest that could be covered by no more than 15 (max 20) individual equities total. Some would limit it to 10, or simply be in 2-3 ETFs.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

my biggest Canadian position is RY at 3.8 and my largest USA positions are a 4 way tie between Amazon, Apple, Google and FB at 4% each. Might trim them if I can find something with better fundamentals and growth. Amazon is excluded from any fundamental analysis. If it ever quit expanding it could probably come up with decent fundamentals.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

I can understand why someone might look at the equity portion separate from the fixed component, but have no idea why Brian, for example, would break it down further within the equity portion.
Yes we've talked about this before. I try to use conventional/methods when posting, for example I posted I'm 40/60 I'm really 55/45 when Principal residence is included but that's not conventional method of posting on here. I have no idea why someone would post using your method means relatively nothing, to me at least.

Already explained one reason (1) it's not a all-in or nothing check, it's just a check. Sort of like checking to see which stocks contribute the most in dividend income, are they all in one sector, can one event cause some or apoplectic damage to dividend income.
(1) MSFT has an overwhelming impact on my US dividend portfolio
2) Just like any balanced or diversified Mutual fund whether they hold 100's of millions more or not.
3) I see no relationship between lets say MSFT and almost any ETF, or Canadian Bank share etc. not even same currency why include them together except for maybe initial portfolio creation
4) left unchecked, maybe not MSFT but other stocks could be just like a hand grenade waiting to go off with no warning, at least a simple check would make you aware of the situation
my biggest Canadian position is RY at 3.8 and my largest USA positions are a 4 way tie between Amazon, Apple, Google and FB at 4% each.
These are all relatively equal positions ? after currency conversion?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 14 Jan 2018 19:28 Yes we've talked about this before. I try to use conventional/methods when posting, for example I posted I'm 40/60 I'm really 55/45 when Principal residence is included but that's not conventional method of posting on here. I have no idea why someone would post using your method means relatively nothing, to me at least.

Already explained one reason (1) it's not a all-in or nothing check, it's just a check. Sort of like checking to see which stocks contribute the most in dividend income, are they all in one sector, can one event cause some or apoplectic damage to dividend income.
Sure, I understand not including principle residence in any calculations involving investable assets. It simply distorts what one is trying to do.

My comment was why you would cite something other than 2.43% of equity because the key point is the exposure of one asset in the overall mix, i.e. the influence it has. To me, the more relevant point is the 0.99% of investable assets for the same reason, i.e. the influence/damage it can have in the overall portfolio. One can then argue what might be an appropriate number, i.e. 1%, 3%, 5%?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 12 Jan 2018 18:02 Microsoft is becoming to large of a position in my portfolio thinking about trimming some.

(Reported In a conventional way MSFT now makes up just under 1% of whole portfolio (EQ & FI 40/60))
Trimmed a very small amount of MFST to reduce position and equity
Sold small amount but all of ENB.pr.v reduce exposure to ENB and reduce equity
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

Recently I sold about a half-dozen varied individual stocks and replaced them with a broad-market Canadian ETF. They were mostly large-caps, big banks, insurance, energy, utility, mining.

Reasons for:

Diversification.

Simplicity: This was the biggest reason. Gone are over 30 dividends [per year] to track, and replaced with 4 plus 1 phantom. Less news to keep an eye on too.

Reason against:

Cost: A few commissions and basis points. Not too significant and worth it to me.

I still hold several other stocks that will be hard to sell due to capital gains. Will let them sit until there's an obvious course of action.
Last edited by IdOp on 22 Jan 2018 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 14 Jan 2018 19:28
I can understand why someone might look at the equity portion separate from the fixed component, but have no idea why Brian, for example, would break it down further within the equity portion.
Yes we've talked about this before. I try to use conventional/methods when posting, for example I posted I'm 40/60 I'm really 55/45 when Principal residence is included but that's not conventional method of posting on here. I have no idea why someone would post using your method means relatively nothing, to me at least.

(1) MSFT has an overwhelming impact on my US dividend portfolio
2) Just like any balanced or diversified Mutual fund whether they hold 100's of millions more or not.
3) I see no relationship between lets say MSFT and almost any ETF, or Canadian Bank share etc. not even same currency why include them together except for maybe initial portfolio creation
4) left unchecked, maybe not MSFT but other stocks could be just like a hand grenade waiting to go off with no warning, at least a simple check would make you aware of the situation
my biggest Canadian position is RY at 3.8 and my largest USA positions are a 4 way tie between Amazon, Apple, Google and FB at 4% each.
These are all relatively equal positions ? after currency conversion?
my Canadian and USA holdings are about equal after currency conversions. I have 20 Canadian holdings and 14 USA holdings. After the banks my Canadian holdings are small cap and mid cap. The USA holdings are all big cap stocks.
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by schmuck »

Dumped Newell Brands (NWL) as soon as I saw the news this morning of the 2nd big quarterly miss in a row. All this after Bruce Campbell (the one with the mustache) had it as a top pick on Market Call a few days ago. 18% loss for me :( Thankfully, I only had 200 shares.
nisser
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by nisser »

I once had an idea of doing the opposite of every BNN market call for a year. It would likely easily beat the index.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

schmuck wrote: 25 Jan 2018 11:14 Dumped Newell Brands (NWL) as soon as I saw the news this morning of the 2nd big quarterly miss in a row. All this after Bruce Campbell (the one with the mustache) had it as a top pick on Market Call a few days ago. 18% loss for me :( Thankfully, I only had 200 shares.
Me to. I sold 279 shares. I have not had much success using value investing strategies. I always seem to find the value traps.
patriot1
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by patriot1 »

Sold my Aimia preferreds (for a small capital gain) as I like dividend stocks that pay dividends. :wink: Put the money into Transalta Renewables.