What did you sell? What might you sell? (2018)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you sell? What might you sell? (2018)

Post by JaydoubleU »

I am certainly benefiting from all the informative feedback. Thanks! It's going to be an interesting process, and I doubt very much that I'll get it dead right. Inevitably, I'll look back and say, THAT was a good move, but THIS ONE was a disaster..... But heck, it's been a helluva nice ride from bottom left to top right of the chart over the last 15 years, and if I don't sell some things right at the top, or if I sell some and take losses, I think I'll still be making out OK. More important, for us, is the house we buy, the neighbourhood we choose, and are we happy with that decision. (Hint: it's in Quebec) I may be posting soon to talk about the hassles and concerns of moving provinces!
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

But heck, it's been a helluva nice ride from bottom left to top right of the chart over the last 15 years, and if I don't sell some things right at the top, or if I sell some and take losses, I think I'll still be making out OK.
Famous last words. I am now chickening out and reluctant to sell into this dividend stock rout. The last two weeks have been brutal, and we may be putting that house plan off for awhile :(
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

Sold WEED as it was making lower lows.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

Sold AVO (Avigilon) this morning on the buy out offer from Motorola.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Nice. I finally convinced my mother to sell hers a few weeks ago, with the usual arguments "grossly overvalued, no earnings, etc..." She sold at $34, but then it went up to $38 or something and she was frowning at me. Now she's breathing a sigh of relief as it free-falls (down to $24 and change now)
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

JaydoubleU wrote: 02 Feb 2018 11:37
Nice. I finally convinced my mother to sell hers a few weeks ago, with the usual arguments "grossly overvalued, no earnings, etc..." She sold at $34, but then it went up to $38 or something and she was frowning at me. Now she's breathing a sigh of relief as it free-falls (down to $24 and change now)
Yup. It looks like we've run out of greater fools for the time being. :)
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

These were today and over the past few days:

Sold positions to protect gains:

- Costco at $187, cost basis $155.
- Mastercard at $167, cost basis $140.

Sold positions at roughly breakeven to protect capital:

- Disney at $105, cost basis $103.
- AB-Inbev at $112, cost basis $110.

Sold positions at loss to protect capital:

- Google, half of which was acquired for $1115 recently, sold for $1070.

These are all positions I would buy into again, at lower prices.

Over the years, I've become more aggressive about protecting capital when the momentum in the market swings down.

It was indeed an interesting day in the markets today!
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

I was doing my quarterly look at my individual stocks and noted that LIQ.TO (liquor stores) had negative earnings for both last quarter and last year. Sold it for 12.75/share at open (I had a limit order in to sell it for 11.45 that had been placed after hours) which was a stroke of luck, because it ended the day at 11.92.

This was a particularly lucky stock for me as I had put in a stink bid to buy it for 9.50/share a few days before the Trump election. It was trading around 10-ish at the time. When it was determined that Trump was elected the market crashed and my bid went through for 9.31/share but it rebounded back above 10 later in the day.

Overall a 44% return for a 2 year hold, not bad. (First tranche was 2 years ago in November, 2nd tranche was the above-mentioned Trump lot).
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

Sold 25% of my position in Pure Industrial REIT on Monday at $8.07. Haven't decided how to use the cash yet but BCE or GRT.UN are possibilities for a buy. Shareholders will vote in March on a proposed private sale for $8.10 per share but some of the opportunities look too good to pass up. Since I sold, the price of PIRET has decreased to $8.05 so I think others have the same idea. If it goes back up to $8.07 or higher I may sell another 25%.
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
westcoastfella
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westcoastfella »

Sold a couple of my convertible debentures (Just Energy B and Stuart Olsen A), in order to raise some cash to put into some other existing positions. Both were nearing redemption - Just Energy was this September and Stuart Olsen would have been 18 months from now. Both were sold at a profit from my ACB. I will miss a few interest payments, but think the money can be better deployed.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Sold my entire holding in REF.UN after this news . Got $52.25 per share.
bindexit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bindexit »

Recently sold out of GMP Capital Inc. (TSE:GMP) around $4
re: cashed in on short term gain; it has since dropped, may buy in again but prefer end of year shopping.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Exited a small position in REI.UN for a small loss. Not a core holding.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

A follow-on to this post
Peculiar_Investor wrote: 30 Nov 2017 11:05 I am doing some tax loss harvesting this morning. In two non-registered accounts I have sold out our position in Cenovus (CVE) at $12.37, which leaves a very small position in a TFSA that I am planning to keep, at least for now. In the non-registered accounts, the CVE position dates back from the spin-off from Encana.

This puts us significantly underweight the Energy sector and I will spend the next month or so reviewing alternatives in this sector with the view to re-establish a position and appropriate sector weighting (not the S&P/TSX weighting) early in 2018.
Re-evaluated CVE after their most recent earnings announcement and while the story might be turning around, I'm not inclined to re-enter this position on the basis of hope it works out. I therefore decided to fully exit the position, selling the small CVE position in the TFSA at $9.60.

Stay tuned to the What did you buy topic early next week for how the funds get deployed. I'm held up because I also need to sell TDB8150 first and have it settle.
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 02 Mar 2018 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Stay tuned to the Way did you buy topic early next week for how the funds get deployed. I'm held up because I also need to sell TDB8150 first and have it settle.
WHY?

Can't you buy a stock today and sell TDB150 today, TDb8150 settles first?
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Can't go short in a TFSA. Some brokerages will insist on knowing the contract price on the mutual fund sale (even if it is known to be $10) before allowing the funds to be used to buy something else. So that would be T+1 anyway.

AFAIK, other brokerages have software that recognizes ISAs settling at $10 and will allow a purchase as soon as the sale order is 'contracted' and not retractable.

Others(?) may actually require the cash to be in the account (settlement) before allowing a purchase to happen.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Eclectic12
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Eclectic12 »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 02 Mar 2018 13:18
Stay tuned to the Way did you buy topic early next week for how the funds get deployed. I'm held up because I also need to sell TDB8150 first and have it settle.
WHY?

Good question ... I had no where near enough cash but lots of TDB8150 yesterday. I placed a limit order where it warned that I would need to sell the TDB8150. The order was filled late in the day so I didn't not the fill until this morning.

I put in the order to sell the required amount of TDB8150 at around 10am this morning.

No issues this run or in the past with doing this with TDDI.

Cheers
Eclectic12
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Eclectic12 »

AltaRed wrote: 02 Mar 2018 13:43 Can't go short in a TFSA ...
Never had a problem in the TFSA or RRSP or LIRA at TDDI as long as the combination of cash + TDB8150 > the buy order's value, including commission. In fact, for all accounts - the TDB8150 sell order is being placed the day after the order is filled.

Is this a special privilege because of account size, number of accounts and possibly the length of having an account?

I understand that CIBC IE only pays attention to the cash position, not the ALT5000 position. It seems a bit of a middle ground as I recall a post saying that as long as an order has been placed to sell ALT5000, the buy order can be placed.

Cheers
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

TDDI appears to allow the ISA to count as a cash holding to meet regulatory criteria about 'no shorts'. I remember this conversation some months (or years?) ago with someone with a TDDI TFSA and that is a good feature. I suspect it is a matter of sophistication of their backroom software that permits it, but that is only a WAG on my part.

In Scotia iTrade, I had to put in the sell order first on the ISA before it would let me purchase. I brought that to their attention that their 'competition' is ahead of them on that, but as usual, nothing ever comes of it. I don't know what other brokerages do but it obviously varies some.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

WHY?

Yesterday in wifies locked in LIF bought stock first and sold TDB later, been like that as long as I can remember. Yes there is a warning that you agree to sell MM, never tried going over MM limit in TFSA or RRSP, works the same for both accounts.

Sell on Fridays buy on Mondays might be better anyway.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

WHY?

Just back from walking the dog for a couple of hours in the snow. We both had a great time BTW.

I see I confused some people. Anyways, there is an explanation which I've posted here rather than going off topic.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Sensei
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Sensei »

After a lot of handwringing, I dumped my 400 shares of GE. My cost base was around $24 and I sold at 14.20, so Ouch! Nearing semi-retirement, I don't see any point in waiting around for GE to get their act together. There is no sign of any significant recovery of GE in the near future and also, it is not the income producer that most people expected it to be (50% div cut last November). There are more stable income opportunities elsewhere, I think.
Cheers

"A dividend being paid today is always a positive return." Josh Peters, Morningstar
nisser
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by nisser »

Trimmed some of the UNP. I think it overshoot by quite a bit. May add back to it if it drops or just funnel the money into CNR.
Spidey
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spidey »

I've been edging out of some of my REI.UN and into ENB. Both stocks are down but I have some worries about Riocan. While retail will never die and eventually a profitable use will be found for prime downtown real estate, in the near term things look choppy. I can't help to notice that large stores like Chapters often have more employees in the store than customers - shades of Zellers. Still probably going to hold on to my remaining small position of REI.UN but I figure between the two, ENB is the one that provides the service that we can't do without.

That being said, now watch REI provide double-digit returns and ENB fall off a cliff (or perhaps another cliff?). :?
Last edited by Spidey on 22 Mar 2018 16:49, edited 1 time in total.
If life seems jolly rotten, then there's something you've forgotten -- and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. - Eric Idle
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by schmuck »

Trimmed my position in PBH by 20%. My first 10 bagger since TECK.B in 2010 which was not as large a stake.
Trimming PBH sort of goes against the old rule of hanging onto your winners, but for a mid-cap it had just become too large a holding for me. I'm also wondering if their growth by acquisition can continue at the same pace if/when they become a contender for the dominant role in the pre-packaged sandwich game.