searching for ETF's

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Turkey1
Contributor
Contributor

searching for ETF's

Post by Turkey1 »

Hi, I am interested in buying some ETF's tonight, (for tomorrows orders).
I already have several, TD e series, Canada, US, International, and VFV. All of these are a few years old.
I have recently converted my Raymond James Mutual Funds to cash, so am ready for a buying spree. Already purchased VAH, VLQ, VMO and VVL.
I have around $60K remaining, divided between RRSP account, TSFA account, and cash account. I am really liking VEE for the growth potential.
My other considerations are XAW and XEF. My head is swimming with the options out there, and which accounts to put each ETF into.
Any thoughts would be appreciated, as always!
Mordko
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: searching for ETF's

Post by Mordko »

1. Educate yourself, develop an investment strategy that works for your particular situation and personality.
2. Buy based on 1.
3. Stick to your strategy.

Don't just buy something because you have money lying around.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I believe you need to spend some time reading finiki on, if nothing else, portfolio design.

Why do you have more than about 4-6 ETFs (or 4 TD e-series) in the first place? The concept of index investing is to buy whole markets in generally as few investments as possible. You can invest in the world with, for example, XIC, XAW and XBB. You are not supposed to have a multitude of index investments as you would stocks.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Vaper
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vaper »

I do not bother with the Canadian Market,bu for Financials I found JPM beat all ETF's i compared it to,bor Health I went XBI,EEM works for Emerging Markets,CGL for Gold,HMMJ for playing the Cannabis Market,KWEB for HighTech.
I write Options against these positions due to market uncertainty,at this time mainly ATM Puts.
Each strategy depends upon the Investor,but Bitcoins will collapse, blockchains are too early.
Vaper
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Vaper »

I just visited the seekingalpha.site and they have a ton of information on ETF's including baskets that are suited for differant types of investors.AOA,AOR,AOM,AOK
You can chart each one at your RBC Site and compare.