Globe Investor

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Jaxson
Newcomer
Newcomer

Globe Investor

Post by Jaxson »

Long time reader, first post, have not seen this topic on the forum elsewhere...I'm curious if other users of Globe Investor are disappointed with the new formats (no longer a list of the stocks at the end of articles with tickers and current prices, homepage no longer has natural category separations, poor charts and less co. description on the new stock quote pages). I've emailed G&M with my concerns, they reply but no improvements thus far. I've only used Globe Investor and have numerous Watch Lists. Any suggestions for other resources which might provide better service?
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Globe Investor

Post by gsp_ »

Of note, their app is not functional on IOS 11 which was released almost 2 months ago. Keep waiting for an update but nothing so far.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

I have been using it for 15 years. . I like the articles they now place on the home page. Insider activity, upgrades and downgrades, Norm R has really good articles . I know they charge for the gold addition. I think it's worth it as it also gives me the G&M. I wonder about the accuracy of some of their stock specific data. In many cases it doesn't match my RBC data.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

I've used GlobeInvestor over many years for 3 main things:

a) Reading articles. For this I use a text-based browser, lynx. Their recent changes have made this somewhat worse, but can't really complain as I'm off the standard track here.

b) Downloading stock and index prices. Thankfully, this has continued to work fairly well through the changes they've made over the years. Interesting to note though, just today they claim to now have real-time quotes on Cdn and US stocks for all users. I must be the exception that proves the rule ... still getting 15-minute delayed quotes. Perhaps it will be fixed soon.

c) Links to Recent News on companies you get stock quotes for. Their Beta site had this screwed up royally, until yesterday at least when again some press release links appeared here. It would be nice to get links to all recent press releases from the company and also articles in GlobeInvestor about the company.
fireseeker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by fireseeker »

IdOp wrote: 16 Nov 2017 11:40 I must be the exception that proves the rule ... still getting 15-minute delayed quotes. Perhaps it will be fixed soon.
I noticed that today, too (using Firefox). Presumably a temporary gremlin.
bailey
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bailey »

As a subscriber I now noticed that they don't have stockreports+ pdf anymore.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this, but I just noticed GlobeInvestor index quotes have the values of Nikkei and Hang Seng interchanged:

link

Currently Nikkei is showing as 29k, while Hang Seng showing as 22k.
LAJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LAJ »

Whilst checking out some stocks in my Watchlist I noticed that the annual dividends were incorrect on several (actually every single one I looked at IIRC). For example it shows RY having a $3.40 annual dividend. To my recollection, RY never had a $3.40 annualized dividend.
Hakuna Matata
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

These dividends were downloaded from G&M Nov. 10:

Code: Select all

BCE	$ 2.87
BMO	$ 3.60
BNS	$ 3.16
CM	$ 5.20
CU	$ 1.43
CPX	$ 1.67
EMA	$ 2.26
ENB	$ 2.44
ENF	$ 2.05
FTS	$ 1.70
REI.UN	$ 1.41
RY	$ 3.64
TD	$ 2.40
T	$ 2.02
TRP	$ 2.50
VT	$ 1.42
VSB	$ 0.58
I haven't checked them all, but RY, BMO, BNS, and FTS (the ones I checked) are OK.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
LAJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LAJ »

Interesting. I just checked through my Watchlist on GlobeInvestor and RY still says $3.40 and FTS says $1.58.

Beats me.
Hakuna Matata
DavidR
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DavidR »

LAJ wrote: 30 Nov 2017 07:02 Interesting. I just checked through my Watchlist on GlobeInvestor and RY still says $3.40 and FTS says $1.58.

Beats me.
http://www.rbc.com/investorrelations/co ... story.html
$3.40 was the trailing 12 months, until last week.
$3.64 is expected 4 x $0.91
LAJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LAJ »

Well, that's kinda bizarre because they also show a yield beside the dividend. Do they calculate that yield based on historical prices as well (rhetorical question). I have not seen an annual dividend expressed that way but then I guess I don't spend a lot of time (none actually) comparing how different sites express an annual dividend.
Hakuna Matata
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

FWIW, never trust any data sources specifically when it comes to valuation metrics (anything calculated). Go to a company's specific financials and/or website to get accurate data, or do your own calculation. When I look for a company's dividend yield, I do my own calculation based on the most current dividend/distribution payment.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
LAJ
Contributor
Contributor

Post by LAJ »

AltaRed wrote: 30 Nov 2017 13:22 When I look for a company's dividend yield, I do my own calculation based on the most current dividend/distribution payment.
As do I, that is how I noticed it. I was commenting on something I've never seen anywhere but on GlobeInvestor. I'm sure there would be a reason to calculate a rolling annual dividend payment but I don't need it. Furthermore, if a supposedly investor oriented news organisation is going to post something unconventional, one would think/hope they would be clearer on what they are posting. Not everyone using their information is a sophisticated investor (raises hand).
Hakuna Matata
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

March 2018 | Watchlist Tool Upgrade I've removed the link because the link has disappeared from the watchlist page.
Starting March 10, 2018 users will have access to powerful new upgrades, including:
•Real-time data display for all exchanges (TSX, TSX Venture, NYSE, Nasdaq and Amex)
•Pages will adapt regardless if they are viewed on a desktop, tablet or mobile device; and they load much faster from anywhere

The tool remains free for Registered users. In addition, paid subscribers will have exclusive access to the following new features:
•Unlimited custom filters
•Export to excel
•End of day email summary
•Integrated Globe Investor editorial
•Price flags
•Notes
Looks like I will no longer be able to export to Excel. :( Don't know why they call it a new feature.
northbynorthwest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by northbynorthwest »

I saw this and had the same concern.
Maybe 'Export to Excel' is different from the existing Export CSV that this free rider uses regularly.
I import the CSV file from GlobeInvestor into my Google Sheet for use in various portfolio calcs and displays.
I'll be most vexed if this is no longer available.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

I use the GlobeInvestor data to (among other things) pick up some Index values daily. The last week or so some of them are no longer working. They are:

CAC-I, France CAC 40

CRBIN-I, TR/CC CRB

HK-I, Hong Kong Hang Seng

NIKKEI-I, Japan Nikkei

TSXT-I, TSX Total Return

Not sure what is going on but maybe they have gone "for pay"? All of this is available elsewhere, so it doesn't seem like that would be a good marketing strategy. It's just a PITA to shift gears. I'd rather stop using GI for this than pay them for it.
StuBee
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by StuBee »

My watchlist has vanished :?

I use it regularly to export a csv file. Yes, I am aware that an upgrade occured today but in the FAQ section of globeinvestor, it clearly states that registered users (i.e. not limited to subscribers) will retain the ability to have (and see...) a watchlist.

It must be a transition issue of some sort. I will wait and see
"The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended: this is the morning."-C.S.Lewis, The Last Battle
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by CROCKD »

A new revised version of Watchlist has just been released. It was unavailable during the transition period since yesterday. I notice that mutual funds are now included in the same table as stocks.
I usually print the table each Saturday. Printing results in a page 1 which is blank. I have to print page 2 to get the table.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
Jo Anne
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Jo Anne »

StuBee wrote: 10 Mar 2018 13:50 My watchlist has vanished :?

I use it regularly to export a csv file. Yes, I am aware that an upgrade occured today but in the FAQ section of globeinvestor, it clearly states that registered users (i.e. not limited to subscribers) will retain the ability to have (and see...) a watchlist.

It must be a transition issue of some sort. I will wait and see
I thought mine had vanished, but then I noticed a drop-down box to the left of the blue "New Watchlist" button. Click on the down arrow, and the name of your watchlist should appear. It can take a few seconds for this to happen. Then click on that, and your list of stocks will appear below.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I see an option to print but not an option to export csv.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
nile
Contributor
Contributor

Post by nile »

Nothing works on my iPad
Some thing work on my phone. Android

No total value of portfolio or number of shares of stocks owned show up yet
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

The only thing that's vanished from my watchlist is Canadian domiciled ETFs. Mutual funds and stocks are still there. I used to be able to add the ETFs as mutual funds to get the end of day NAVs. Looks like I can't do it anymore. Download to CSV file is gone too.

But I think the FundLibrary can do what I want. :D
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

VBAL-T is there for me.
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

VBAL-T gives the market price, not the NAV. For some of my thinly traded ETFs, there's a significant difference.

Looks like it's not too difficult to clean up a copy and paste of the watchlist into a spreadsheet.