Error in Globeinvestor formatting of income statements?

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Error in Globeinvestor formatting of income statements?

Post by Hogwild »

Hi:

I know nearly nothing about accounting. I've been using Gloveinestor's site for quite a while, but just noticed something; When you click to view the income statement of a stock, the formatting reads like this:

REVENUE 180 183 185 174
Total other revenue -- -- -- --
Total revenue 180 183 185 174
GROSS PROFIT 116 116 119 115
Total cost of revenue 64 67 66 59
TOTAL OPERATING EXPENSE 56 123 31 117

But shouldn't the "Total Cost of Revenue" come above the Gross Profit figure, followed by the Gross Profit figure? Isn't Gross Profit Revenues minus Cost of Revenues?

Am I right that it's reversed when it shouldn't be? Someone please set me straight.

This example was for SmartREIT, by the way (TSX:SRU.UN)

Thanks.
NormR
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Error in Globeinvestor formatting of income statements?

Post by NormR »

Hogwild wrote: 24 Oct 2017 11:44Isn't Gross Profit Revenues minus Cost of Revenues?
Correct.
Hogwild wrote: 24 Oct 2017 11:44 Am I right that it's reversed when it shouldn't be? Someone please set me straight.
I would order it from top to bottom too. Doing otherwise is counter intuitive and weird, IMHO.

But the G&M does it all the way down the statement. They provide a sub-total and then its components until the next sub-total.

So you get revenue (bolded) and then a breakdown of revenue. (The wording is weird here too. The top total should be total revenue and the sub points "other revenue" and "revenue".)

Go down another couple of lines to total operating expense(s). It's followed by the components. And they don't add up to the total for unknown reasons.
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Error in Globeinvestor formatting of income statements?

Post by Hogwild »

NormR:

Thanks. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining that. I sent an email to Globeinvestor's Contact address for web issues, and, as usual, got no reply whatsoever. Resent the same email two weeks later and still got no reply. And the website problem persists.

Anyone else (maybe with a paid membership) care to try?