Article: RioCan’s $2 billion sale raises question about future of retail properties, says confidential report

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Article: RioCan’s $2 billion sale raises question about future of retail properties, says confidential report

Post by Hogwild »

http://business.financialpost.com/real- ... ial-report

Colliers article discusses whether RioCan's sale of certain assets in slower growth areas hints at slowdown of retail REIT activity.

Anyone know what Colliers angle is generally on such things? Do they have a financial interest in either side of this argument? I ask cause this makes me once again consider selling my SmartREIT shares. So much talk about e-commerce drawing business away from bricks and mortar retail, but I haven't seen much in the way of clear indicators either way.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Article: RioCan’s $2 billion sale raises question about future of retail properties, says confidential report

Post by AltaRed »

Look at my posts in the RioCan thread http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 35#p601935. I agree a fair bit with the FP article and wondered, as a unitholder of REI.UN, why they had not made a bolder move a few years ago. It is timely to sell assets in secondary markets before they become even harder to sell, or sell for less than they would now. If you look at the entire list of RioCan's properties, many of the secondary properties are truly in stagnant centers/backwaters.

Added: I think brick and mortar retail will always have a niche because there are just a lot of things that are purchased at similar times on errand runs, but it is going to be in vibrant, dynamic power centres, and as part of a multi-purpose mix of retail, commercial and residential. I was involved in Calgary some years ago strongly promoting multi-purpose 'village' concepts in both new, and re-developing, subdivisions.

Added again: I am not sure there is any argument of downtown vs metropolitain surburban areas worth having. I look at something like the GTA as one big market. Lots of self-sustaining villages can be developed (and re-developed) in surburban centres as well as downtown. For example, there has to be many old plazas in places like Etobicoke and Scarborough and Markham that would be worth their weight in gold being re-developed into multi-purpose destinations.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Article: RioCan’s $2 billion sale raises question about future of retail properties, says confidential report

Post by kcowan »

Congratulations Altared on exceeding 18000 posts. That is a great single-handed effort to keep FWF going!
For the fun of it...Keith
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

kcowan wrote: 05 Oct 2017 03:50 Congratulations Altared on exceeding 18000 posts. That is a great single-handed effort to keep FWF going!
Not sure that many posts is a good thing.... :?: :lol: :lol:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

AltaRed wrote: 05 Oct 2017 09:26
kcowan wrote: 05 Oct 2017 03:50 Congratulations Altared on exceeding 18000 posts. That is a great single-handed effort to keep FWF going!
Not sure that many posts is a good thing.... :?: :lol: :lol:
Based on my reading, all your posts are very thoughtful. I should add the Shakes is holding up well (but he is an original)!
For the fun of it...Keith