FTS vs EMA vs CU

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
gibor
Contributor
Contributor

FTS vs EMA vs CU

Post by gibor »

I hold in our TFSAs FTS, EMA, CU , more or less equal positions.... Still have contribution room in both TFSAs, was thinking to add one of the Utilities above.
On the first glance, FTS and CU are cheaper.... Both gonna raise dividends soon (FTS earlier).
What do you think is better at current prices?
FinEcon
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: FTS vs EMA vs CU

Post by FinEcon »

If this is the extent of how you look into securities, why kid yourself about doing due diligence at all and just increase the amount in each one proportionately.
Show me the incentive and I will show you the outcome

--Charlie Munger
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hogwild »

FinEcon:

In defense of gibor, you might have replied differently had you seen the many sophisticated or detailed posts gibor had made in past. Just sayin', you might want to take the time to flush out more of what (s)he was looking for in an answer. gibor has done a lot of due diligence before, laid it out well for us to see and has, in other ways, contributed quite a bit around here. Maybe (s)he's just having a lazy moment or tired of research.
FinEcon
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by FinEcon »

No defence required because there was no snark intended although in retrospect I can see how my post might be read that way.

It's simply a suggestion based on what I've seen posted here over the years. Often people who are very highly diversified, i.e. having a portfolio that consists entirely, or almost entirely, of low single digit equity weightings and asking valuation questions are really just wasting their own time. They might as well just average and/or spread over existing holdings and forego the pretence that due diligence is being done. It's nobody's fault, academic dogma and business media cause people to view investing this way.
Show me the incentive and I will show you the outcome

--Charlie Munger
gibor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gibor »

forego the pretence that due diligence is being done
curious where did I pretend "about doing due diligence"?!
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Not sure of your strategy. Seems like you will have a lot of utilities. As Confucious said " don't put all your eggs in one basket". If you are looking at dividends why not add a pipeline, a telco or a bank to your holdings?
gibor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gibor »

In 6 accounts I manage, I hold all 6 big banks + SLF, FN and FC, 3 telcos + AT&T and pipeline... :)
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

If it means anything, FTS and EMA have always seemed too expensive (for me). They may retreat some given the weakness of the USD and rising interest rates. Under $40, I'd buy one of the two.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

I posted a similar question on the "Assessing Utilities" thread a little while ago. I'd post a link, Gibor, but I don't know how to do it. I think electric utilities are a good "bet" at the moment because the need for electricity is going nowhere but up, and Fortis, EMA and CU are all going to provide it. The 10-20 year charts all look very similar.

Personally, I wonder if "due diligence" is a bit over-rated. :twisted: Is there any evidence that individual investors who pore over annual statements do any better than those who just buy companies they like?

It's definitely necessary for professional money managers because they have huge amounts of money to invest and always need to find new companies to invest in. But investing for small investors is like betting on a horse race when the horses are already half-way round the track. You can see the ones leading the pack, and unless one falls on the home stretch (Enron, Blackberry), it'll pay reasonable money. ISTM that due diligence is most necessary when the horses are just out of the gate (eg small caps and all the marijuana stocks).

Financial apostasy?
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Wallace wrote: 11 Sep 2017 00:59 I posted a similar question on the "Assessing Utilities" thread a little while ago. I'd post a link, Gibor, but I don't know how to do it.
The link is Assessing Utilities. FWIW, you can find the URL for a specific post by clicking (or hovering) over the little grey (read) or orange (unread) icon in front of the text "by Wallace" just under the Subject line.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

When I can't decide, I usually pick the one with a dividend yield that is higher than its historical average (I go back 5 yrs at least).
gibor
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gibor »

Personally, I wonder if "due diligence" is a bit over-rated.
Agreed :)
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

gibor wrote: 11 Sep 2017 16:18
Personally, I wonder if "due diligence" is a bit over-rated.
Agreed :)

It is way over rated and time consuming. So is self confidence in those who think they have the ability to pick winning stocks and make exaggerated bets in them.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed