Anyone have a fax no. or email for Blackrock USA for Form 301?

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Anyone have a fax no. or email for Blackrock USA for Form 301?

Post by Hogwild »

Hello:

I just bought an iShares US-based Short Treasury Bond ETF in $USD through BMO Investorline (non-registered account). I called Vanguard USA to ask them what I should send them so they have my name on record to reduce the withholding tax on the distributions. The rep. with whom I spoke told me that I should send a Form 301 to them by snail mail. My broker already has a W8-BEN, but I like to be extra cautious.

I find it hard to believe that in this day and age, they don't have a fax line or email address to send a form 301. Oh, and while I'm at it, is it a form 301 I should be sending them to make sure I pay the minimal withholding taxes? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Last edited by Hogwild on 14 Aug 2017 19:10, edited 2 times in total.
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Anyone have a fax no. or email for Vanguard USA for Form 301?

Post by DenisD »

AFAIK, W8-BEN is all you need. 15% of US income will be deducted in non-registered account. Never heard of Form 301.
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hogwild »

EDIT: I had originally written Vanguard, but I got confused. It's a Blackrock iShares ETF. This makes me also ask the following question: A while back, an IRS rep. suggested I register for a "US Individual Tax-Bearer Identification number". I assume this is uneccessary and is really only of benefit to the US gov't and the IRS so they can keep track of you and your money?
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

If you are a Canadian citizen (not US citizen) resident of Canada and only own US domiciled ETFs, I don't think you have to have anything to do with IRS.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Anyone have a fax no. or email for Blackrock USA for Form 301?

Post by AltaRed »

You don't need anything other than a W8-BEN on file with your brokerage. Forget ITIN numbers and anything else associated with IRS.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Anyone have a fax no. or email for Blackrock USA for Form 301?

Post by Hogwild »

Thank you both. I love this place.