Where to buy US bonds?

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
soldToSoon
Contributor
Contributor

Where to buy US bonds?

Post by soldToSoon »

I'm looking to buy individual US bonds. You can buy Canadian bonds at pretty much all the online brokerages at varying levels of commissions and spreads, but the only place I've been able to do this for the US bonds is BMO investorline. But the choice of available bonds is thin and the spreads are too wide. A comparison to Fidelity US site for exact bonds shows differences of anywhere between 20 to 50 bps.
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I have tried RBC, iTrade and BMO investorline with limited success with only the last one.

Thanks
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Where to buy US bonds?

Post by AltaRed »

Can't answer your question...but why in the world would you want to buy US bonds? The fluctuation in forex alone will likely overwhelm any return you will get. Example: The circa 10% gain in the loonie in recent months would put you underwater for years to come if you had bought 4-5 months ago.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Where to buy US bonds?

Post by Thegipper »

soldToSoon wrote: 08 Aug 2017 15:21 I'm looking to buy individual US bonds. You can buy Canadian bonds at pretty much all the online brokerages at varying levels of commissions and spreads, but the only place I've been able to do this for the US bonds is BMO investorline. But the choice of available bonds is thin and the spreads are too wide. A comparison to Fidelity US site for exact bonds shows differences of anywhere between 20 to 50 bps.
Apologies if this is a dumb question, but I have tried RBC, iTrade and BMO investorline with limited success with only the last one.

Thanks
That's a beef with RBC. You can't buy US individual bonds there. My solution is buying targeted ETF bond funds.