Microsoft (Symbol-MSFT) - whereto

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Microsoft (Symbol-MSFT) - whereto

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

The rumour mill has been floating this for about a week, it is now official. New CEO announced, Microsoft Board Names Satya Nadella as CEO | Microsoft press release
Feb. 4, 2014 — Microsoft Corp. today announced that its Board of Directors has appointed Satya Nadella as Chief Executive Officer and member of the Board of Directors effective immediately. Nadella previously held the position of Executive Vice President of Microsoft’s Cloud and Enterprise group.

<snip>

Microsoft also announced that Bill Gates, previously Chairman of the Board of Directors, will assume a new role on the Board as Founder and Technology Advisor, and will devote more time to the company, supporting Nadella in shaping technology and product direction. John Thompson, lead independent director for the Board of Directors, will assume the role of Chairman of the Board of Directors and remain an independent director on the Board.
Founded in 1975 and Nadella is only the third CEO in their history.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
George$
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by George$ »

Just looked at MSFT today.
It is at $39.54 (March 18, 2014 at noon) - with annual dividend at about 2.8% at this price.
It has not been at this price since about mid 2000. Does please me - but will this last? Dunno! :)
“The search for truth is more precious than its possession.” Albert Einstein
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

Rumour has it they will introduce Office for the iPad soon. Even before "touch" Office for Windows tablets.
George$
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by George$ »

Just noticed that MSFT gone a bit over $45 per share - has not been there since 2000. No idea why?

Have a look at MSFT via google finance - https://www.google.ca/finance?q=NASDAQ% ... gYAG&hl=en
- and then link to "all" time in the above

This shows you MSFT since about 1986 - to today
There have been share 9 splits in all since start in 1986
And also many dividends since 2003.

I bought in 1992 - and so enjoyed 6 splits - or x64 increase in my initial shares - since 1992 - plus dividends.
I'm very fortunate - but no idea today how to achieve something like this again today.
I was fortunate to be in the right place at the right time and knew from experience the power - or force of software protective moat - rather than hardware.

Today I'm fascinated by Amazon - but don't have any shares. Perhaps in the long run it will also look good - but I don't have insight ????
cashinstinct
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cashinstinct »

Contrary to Microsoft in the 1990s, Amazon in the 2010s does not make serious money. They seem interested in money-losing stuff every year like streaming videos.
George$
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by George$ »

cashinstinct wrote:Contrary to Microsoft in the 1990s, Amazon in the 2010s does not make serious money. They seem interested in money-losing stuff every year like streaming videos.

I think misrepresented.
True Amazon is mostly interested in market share at present - not P/E - but that will come if they are smart and successful.
Jeff Bezos is smart and patient - and very young compared to Buffett.
George$
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by George$ »

I keep peeking at MSFT

This morning it is again up over 1% - while the rest of the market is dipping down - why?
MSFT is now at about $46.50 per share as I type.
See https://www.google.ca/finance?q=NASDAQ% ... 44FY&hl=en

It seems to go up one day - then down the next a bit - then up - in that fashion over and over again. In general it is going up. It makes me wonder is somebody is slowly acquiring a large position in MSFT - and must do so patiently - not all at once - to avoid going up high too quickly?

:?
DavidR
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DavidR »

On the other hand, maybe it's just a Random Walk?
cashinstinct
Contributor
Contributor

Post by cashinstinct »

Someone looking to buy a position in such a large-cap stock, the position would have to be big to make a significant impact...
George$
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by George$ »

I keep looking at MSFT as it creeps up and up - at the moment at $48.33 - :thumbsup:
Here is some reading -

Why This Billion Dollar Hedge Fund is Betting Big on Microsoft Corporation Stock
What does Hexavest find so attractive about Microsoft? A review of its investment philosophy makes it clear why Microsoft occupies such a prominent position in Hexavest's global portfolio. Like many investors, institutional or individual, finding relative value compared to peers, indices, or any suitable benchmark, is the goal. Based on the key metrics hedge fund manager Hexavest subscribes to, Microsoft fits the bill nicely.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

That article has lots of words to read, but all it really seems to say is "cloud and mobile growth are good, and they're not done yet".
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

I was just reading some of the older Chou Letters of the Manager, and apparently back in April 2000 Microsoft was trading at 25 times revenue and 100 times earnings. The stock is now quite a bit cheaper than then, but I've tended to keep away from individual technology stocks since the turn of the new century.
George$
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by George$ »

Taggart wrote:I was just reading some of the older Chou Letters of the Manager, and apparently back in April 2000 Microsoft was trading at 25 times revenue and 100 times earnings. The stock is now quite a bit cheaper than then, but I've tended to keep away from individual technology stocks since the turn of the new century.

Yes, both older Chou letters and older Buffett letters are worth reading and re-reading.

And again "yes" in 1999 the MSFT price was crazy and way too high - I remember thinking that I should sell it - BUT - to what (no idea then) and also remembering Warren Buffett's advice - something like "Unrealized capital gains has an interest free loan from the government - and with no call date - to pay taxes when you sell" - so I did not sell.

About "individual technology" - there is a world of difference between software technology (like MSFT) and hardware technology (like HPW) - I saw that software might have a safety "moat" for the long term hold that hardware would not. Anothere reason for holding it for the long term.

Look at the interesting chart of MSFT and its history, like via
https://www.google.ca/finance?q=NASDAQ% ... HwDA&hl=en
and click "All" years - thus showing the price share from 1986 to 2014, with all the share splits and all the share dividends over the years.

:)
George$
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by George$ »

I keep looking at MSFT information - here are a couple this morning ....

2 Reasons Microsoft Corporation Is a Top Dividend Stock to Buy
Microsoft 's dividend doesn't look quite as attractive as it did a few years ago. The dividend yield is currently just 2.6%, higher than the S&P 500 average, but a bit lower than other tech giants like Cisco and IBM . Microsoft's stock has very nearly doubled over the past three years, and while the dividend has been increasing during that time, it just hasn't kept up.
and - not sure on this .... but here it is ...

Microsoft Corporation (MSFT) Headed to the $53 Mark: Pete Najarian
Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT)’s performance on the cloud has been largely responsible for what has turned out to be one of the company’s best years in the wake of Satya Nadella taking over the reins. CNBC’s Pete Najarian believes the giant software company is undergoing a transformation at the back of solid leadership from the Microsoft Corporation (NASDAQ:MSFT) has resorted to focusing on high growth business opportunities which Najarian believes should give the stock enough Juice to surge to highs of $53 a share going forward. Since taking over, Nadella has worked to position the company as a heavyweight on the cloud while also focusing on the mobile side of the business.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

Microsoft reportedly invests in Android competitor Cyanogen (Wall Street Journal)
Microsoft is investing in a hot startup that's trying to weaken Google's hold over Android.
Bylo Selhi
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Bylo Selhi »

Is that MS's way of acknowledging that Windows Phone OS and the purchase of Nokia have been complete disasters? ;)

More seriously, this is a common gambit. If you can't compete then at least try to wound your competitor. For MS $70M is cheap entertainment.

Recall too that Google invested heavily in Mozilla Firefox even as their own Chrome browser was crushing MS' Internet Exploder. They did it for similar reasons too, i.e. to ensure that Google search was the default search engine in Firefox, just as the WSJ is reporting that MS wants Bing search in Cyanogen.
“We’re going to take Android away from Google,” said Kirt McMaster, Cyanogen’s chief executive, in a brief interview last week.
Famous last words.
Sedulously eschew obfuscatory hyperverbosity and prolixity.
Descartes
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Descartes »

Microsoft would like to connect on LinkedIn.
Microsoft buying LinkedIn for $26B
In a release Monday, Microsoft announced it would pay $196 US for every share in LinkedIn, a professional networking website at which users post their resumes online and can contact other companies and professionals. It has 430 million members, according to its most recent regulatory filings.

The price represents a 49 per cent premium from Friday's closing price of LinkedIn shares.
"A dividend is a dictate of management. A capital gain is a whim of the market."
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Whereto? Would anyone believe 3 Billion and beyond? Microsoft hits $3-trillion value, cementing strength of AI rally | Financial Post
Financial Post wrote:The threshold cements Microsoft’s status as one of the largest public stocks. It briefly surpassed Apple Inc. in value — which last year became the first company to hit US$3 trillion — but subsequently dropped back below the iPhone maker, with the two trading places ever since.
The stock price has been a rocket ship the past couple of years
Financial Post wrote:The Redmond, Wash.-based company is one of the so-called Magnificent Seven that fuelled the market’s advance over 2023, gaining about 57 per cent. The advance continued into this year, with a 7.4 per cent rise that exceeds the 4.6 per cent gain of the Nasdaq 100 Index. Microsoft accounts for 7.3 per cent of the S&P 500 index.
With my portfolio manager hat on,
Peculiar_Investor wrote: 17 Jan 2024 13:58 Of note, the Microsoft holding is currently very near to the top of our IPS target range for an individual holding as is being reviewed from potential trimming towards target.
Microsoft has been hitting 52 week highs this week and is edging closer and closer to my limit order that would reduce our holding back to standard target. They have an upcoming earnings release next week (Jan 30, 2024) and that might provide the opportunity to trim.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

We need Deaddog to show up.

PI what is the purpose of your portfolio or style if your top 10 is any clue it's pretty eclectic?
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 24 Jan 2024 14:44
Peculiar_Investor wrote: 17 Jan 2024 13:58 Of note, the Microsoft holding is currently very near to the top of our IPS target range for an individual holding as is being reviewed from potential trimming towards target.
Microsoft has been hitting 52 week highs this week and is edging closer and closer to my limit order that would reduce our holding back to standard target. They have an upcoming earnings release next week (Jan 30, 2024) and that might provide the opportunity to trim.
My limited order at $419 was hit this morning. Sold 40% of holding so now back at target weight.