Canadian Healthcare for income

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Canadian Healthcare for income

Post by Wallace »

JaydoubleU wrote: 12 Jun 2017 10:15 Wallace, your insights are very interesting, thanks. Can you give us an idea of what "not cheap" means? I had a look at the schlegelvillages.com website, but I don't see any info about pricing. At any rate this is not something "we" can invest in.
Self-contained units in the condominium tower of WP were going for about $250,000-300,000 a decade ago. I don't know the costs today. They are independent units with access to all the facilities. The second care level is paid at a monthly rate which is about 150% of a fairly good apartment rental. There are singles and doubles available. Although it seems expensive, it also includes food and nursing care. If the nursing care is heavy, people are asked to move to the nursing home area where the nurse/resident ratio is higher.
They usually go into pricing when you take a tour of the facilities with a view to moving there. Schlegelvillages are not yet on the public market. It's a family business. Chartwell homes are cheaper but IMHO are less well-run from the resident's point of view (less staff, fewer facilities)
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

pmj wrote: 12 Jun 2017 12:29 DW has NWH.UN.
Annual dividend = $0.80, unchanged since inception in March 2010.
GlobeInvestor graph shows $10k invested at inception (red line = original cost minus total of dividend payments).
NWHUN.png
NWHUN.png (5.71 KiB) Viewed 411 times
You can see the same decline in the market value of the CDs:
NWH-DB.jpg
Of course, the difference is that the CD pays 5.25% without any ROC.
For the fun of it...Keith
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Self-contained units in the condominium tower of WP were going for about $250,000-300,000 a decade ago. I don't know the costs today. They are independent units with access to all the facilities. The second care level is paid at a monthly rate which is about 150% of a fairly good apartment rental. There are singles and doubles available. Although it seems expensive, it also includes food and nursing care. If the nursing care is heavy, people are asked to move to the nursing home area where the nurse/resident ratio is higher.
They usually go into pricing when you take a tour of the facilities with a view to moving there. Schlegelvillages are not yet on the public market. It's a family business. Chartwell homes are cheaper but IMHO are less well-run from the resident's point of view (less staff, fewer fa
Thanks man. Like I said, your personal experience in this area is invaluable insight for the rest of us.