What to do with TD Resource Fund?

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
gbill2004
Contributor
Contributor

What to do with TD Resource Fund?

Post by gbill2004 »

Between my TFSA and RRSP's I have invested about $13,000 in the TD Resource Fund over the last few years. It currently has a market value of about $10,000 so I've lost about $3000. I've lowered my PPP monthly contributions to this fund to the minimum of $50/month. What should I do with this fund...hold, or cut my losses and transfer the money to a better performing fund?
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What to do with TD Resource Fund?

Post by Taggart »

I can't tell you what to do with your TD Resource fund but the broad based Canadian Index ETF's have a combined sector weighing of about a third of the portfolio allocated to energy and materials. That's way more than enough for me. I own VCN.
Sumaco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Sumaco »

Since you asked for guidance: I would cut my losses.

This fund is very painful on the by the numbers I have just looked over... 237% turnover rate and high MER will not be recouped very soon in order to get back above the line on your investment.
http://quote.morningstar.ca/quicktakes/ ... F0CAN05N4S
--
Ignorance is where learning begins.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

How does this fund fit into your overall asset allocation? What was the investment thesis behind the original purchase and has anything changed other than the price drop that has changed your opinion on this fund in particular and how it fits into your asset allocation in general?
gbill2004 wrote: 12 May 2017 07:11 What should I do with this fund...hold, or cut my losses and transfer the money to a better performing fund?
A question to ask yourself, how will you know in advance what will be a better performing fund? That's the toughest question and IMHO the main reason to purchase a broad-based index fund like VCN or something equivalent.

Low cost and as broad a diversification across the asset class is generally the best and recommended approach.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I agree with P_I. No one knows in advance what any market will do, never mind how any one individual sector will perform in the index. It is a mug's game.

It has been a painful 2+ years in the commodity sector though recently some base metals provided a bump. Will it come back? Yes to some degree. but will it be 6 months, 1 year, or 2 more years? Will it take a good 5 more years? Will a NAFTA war with the US fatally wound one or more of our sectors, or industries in a sector? I wouldn't bet on anything right now.

Personally, I would take my losses, and if you are not a stock picker, then simply purchase a broad based low cost ETF and let it ride.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom