Yellow Pages (Y-TO) Earnings discrepancy from different sources

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Yellow Pages (Y-TO) Earnings discrepancy from different sources

Post by Spudd »

The Yellow Pages (Y-TO) popped up on my stock screener this morning, and I started looking into it (without much hope). However, I found the earnings for December 2016 to be a huge mystery. Wondering if anyone has any thoughts.

According to both TD and Thomson-Reuters, the earnings in December were 0.56/share (positive). However, according to TMXMoney.com and SEDAR, the earnings were -16.28/share (holy moly). I mean, SEDAR seems like it should be the final authority, but in the past I have generally trusted TD and Thomson-Reuters for earnings information. I only pulled up the other sources because I was so blown away that Y was actually making money.

Any thoughts on how these can be SO different?
DavidR
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Yellow Pages (Y-TO) Earnings discrepancy from different sources

Post by DavidR »

Yellow's earnings release says
For the fourth quarter ended December 31, 2016, the Company recorded basic loss per share of $16.35. Basic earnings per share before the impairment charge, net of income taxes, for the quarter ended December 31, 2016 were $0.26
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

Interesting, now there's a third number in the mix. :)

So it seems that at least somewhat, it's driven by different definitions of EPS - TD/Thomson it seems are not including the impairment charge (although why they say 56 instead of 26 is still an open question).

My main concern is whether I can trust TD's earnings reports, and I think the answer is a firm "maybe, but it's best to always double check it with SEDAR".
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I only trust what the company itself says in its earnings release/quarterly reports. Why go anywhere else?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

AltaRed wrote:I only trust what the company itself says in its earnings release/quarterly reports. Why go anywhere else?
Pure laziness! It's a pain going to SEDAR and wading through reports when you can just look at a cute graph right inside your broker's interface. But I suppose I will have to fight laziness from here out, having discovered its shortfalls.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

AltaRed wrote:I only trust what the company itself says in its earnings release/quarterly reports. Why go anywhere else?
Only trust the IFRS number (or GAAP in the US), not the basic earnings before all the things we didn't like. Trust, but verify!

A public company that my spouse previously worked for has reported "one-time" restructuring charges every quarter since at least 2000. 68+ consecutive quarters of "one-time" charges. Oxymoron anyone?

No less than Warren Buffett has railed against these "pro-forma" earnings. From his 2002 Shareholder Letter,
Warren Buffett wrote:I have another caveat to mention about last year’s results. If you’ve been a reader of financial reports in recent years, you’ve seen a flood of “pro-forma” earnings statements – tabulations in which managers invariably show “earnings” far in excess of those allowed by their auditors. In these presentations, the CEO tells his owners “don’t count this, don’t count that – just count what makes earnings
fat.” Often, a forget-all-this-bad-stuff message is delivered year after year without management so much as blushing.

We’ve yet to see a pro-forma presentation disclosing that audited earnings were somewhat high. So let’s make a little history: Last year, on a pro-forma basis, Berkshire had lower earnings than those we actually reported.
:lol: :lol: Trust Buffett to find a way to hold these "pro-forma" numbers (i.e. make believe numbers) up and make fun of them. I'll leave it as an exercise for the reader to figure out why Berkshire Hathway's pro-forma earnings number in 2002 would have been lower.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Off-topic, but worthwhile to remind folks, the games companies can and do play

I particularly detest intangibles like 'goodwill' on the balance sheet. It can stay there forever under IFRS rules.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom