What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Post by schmuck »

Thegipper wrote: Ended up buying TD, Shop and Veresen. TD because of it's strong USA platform is my reason for choosing it. Veresen because of it's assets ,potential for growth and the 7% dividend.Shop has a great story and a lot more upside. It has 350k small business clients and the number keeps growing.
Good move on SHOP. Been chasing it ever since David Cockfield had it as a top pick when it was about 50% cheaper than today. That was a bit unusual for him as he does not stray from those boring old large caps too often. Was hoping for a last chance (a long shot) in case today's report turned out to be disappointing. Time to kiss it goodbye and forget, at least for a while. :(
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

schmuck wrote:
Thegipper wrote: Ended up buying TD, Shop and Veresen. TD because of it's strong USA platform is my reason for choosing it. Veresen because of it's assets ,potential for growth and the 7% dividend.Shop has a great story and a lot more upside. It has 350k small business clients and the number keeps growing.
Good move on SHOP. Been chasing it ever since David Cockfield had it as a top pick when it was about 50% cheaper than today. That was a bit unusual for him as he does not stray from those boring old large caps too often. Was hoping for a last chance (a long shot) in case today's report turned out to be disappointing. Time to kiss it goodbye and forget, at least for a while. :(
I wouldn't drop SHOP. With this kind of growth think FB and Amazon.
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by schmuck »

May have missed out on SHOP, but determined not to on SLF. Took the opportunity to increase my position after it's 6% haircut over the last couple of days. With an ever increasing hawkish mood by the FED, and the likelihood of deregulation and tax cuts in the US, I look at their earnings disappointment more as trailing data than projected performance.
jsbarnby
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jsbarnby »

Thegipper wrote:
jsbarnby wrote:
Thegipper wrote:I bought DUG and PHO on the Venture exchange in early January. They are up about 30% respectively. I doubled my position today. DUG does infrastructure work for the telcos and cable companies. It's revenue and profit growth has been quite impressive. PHO provided sensor technology for pipelines and other underground systems. It has shown solid growth as well. Both are quite small and have little coverage. The stocks an be quite volatile with a distinct upward trend.
PHO as in Photon Control?
Yes that is the stock. Do you know something more about this company?
Great company but it doesn't really do sensors for pipelines and underground systems. 99% of profits are from the sale of equipment for the manufacturing of semiconductors.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

jsbarnby wrote:
Thegipper wrote:
jsbarnby wrote:
PHO as in Photon Control?
Yes that is the stock. Do you know something more about this company?
Great company but it doesn't really do sensors for pipelines and underground systems. 99% of profits are from the sale of equipment for the manufacturing of semiconductors.
I can only quote from their own wen page. " produces a wide range of optical sensors and instruments to measure temperature, pressure, position and flow" " our measurement technologies delivery accuracy and reliability in ....pipelines ,the oil sands and countless other applications" Using their own webpage I drew the conclusion that this was one of their applications. If I am wrong it is certainly an innocent mistake.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Increased my position in SHOP ,PHO and DUG yesterday. Two other stocks that I think I will add too are CRH and CZO. MY TFSA is sitting at 106k. Looking for micro and small caps with really good growth metrics and avoid resource or commodity stocks.
Spidey
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spidey »

Bought BEI.UN @$44.01. TD has book value at about $60.00 and some sources have NAV as $65. 5.08% dividend. This one has been pretty beaten up due to the concentration of apartment properties in Alberta (about 60%) and some lackluster earnings reports. However, I figure the growing Canadian population, driven by increasing immigration and refugee numbers, combined with a seemingly positive US view towards the oil industry will eventually bode well for apartment enterprises. And of course Boardwalk isn't only in Alberta and also owns properties in Ontario, Quebec and Saskatchewan.
If life seems jolly rotten, then there's something you've forgotten -- and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. - Eric Idle
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Think that is a good move. IMO, market sentiment is way oversold at this point and the AB/SK rental market will find a bottom this year, if not already. I am underwater slightly on my holding in my TFSA but don't have any concerns. It will bounce, if not this year, in 2018. In the meantime, the distribution is good and is safe.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Bought a little Fortis and dipped my toes into NEPT. Both have received strong commentaries from the BNN people. Fortis has a diverse array of energy assets and has become quite strong in the USA. Has a strong outlook on earnings growth and it pays a nice dividend. Neptune is a micro cap producing health foods like krill oil and extracts from seeds which are used in health food products. It had outstanding revenues and earnings growth this past quarter. I am always on the lookout for small caps that are growing at strong rates. I own some CRH and wished I had owned more. They keep coming up with great quarterly reports. Today was no exception.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

They say that patience is a virtue.
Last Dec 13, Peculiar_Investor wrote:So back on November 17th I eliminated my POT holding @ $23.90 and placed a limit order for AGU to replace it. Unfortunately Mr. Market's hasn't wanted to co-operate and I've only filled 25% of the AGU order. I'm willing to be patient and wait out a fill on my terms, not Mr. Market's. If, or when, this happens I'll post in the "What did you Buy" topic. Mr. Market will determine if that's the 2016 version or the 2017 version. :lol:
The answer is the 2017 version. :D

I've been patiently waiting and extending my limit order every 30 days or so, letting many pitches go past. I finally saw the one I was waiting for, as Mr. Market finally took me up on my offer yesterday and I now have the desired position size in Agrium, buying yesterday @ $130.97.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
saedif
Contributor
Contributor

Post by saedif »

Hello, second post here,
Was really going to find a way to follow activist investors but have been following some of you guys with BDI and VSN, seems like there is a correction going on? Too bad I was stuggling with a carreer choice 'cause I didn't have time to follow Mr. Market for the past week.
Only reason why still optimistic at the moment about the correction is a long time 10 years+ MTY holding +++ :D Was asking my friend who bought it for me recently and he couldn't tell but was hold for him (myself was thinking to sell)
Great instructive posts by the way all of you guys! !:)
you get what you inspect, not what you expect
saedif
Contributor
Contributor

Post by saedif »

'lo
lost 1331 / 5000 douleur$ with BDI black diamond, was thinking of doubling down in the wife's TFSA
seeking advice.
regards.
saedif
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I don't detect anything in your posts so far with respect to an investing strategy or plan beyond following hot tips from internet forums and friends. Nor whether you have a solid investment portfolio elsewhere and the TFSAs are play money??

Hint 1: Do you have an IPS (investment policy statement) that you have developed and follow on an ongoing basis?

Hint 2: Did you research the annual and quarterly financials and MD&A discussion of BDI? Best I can tell with 2 minutes of googling (Google Finance) is that a company with ~$200M in market capital and a whole suite of executive vice-presidents and vice-presidents is top heavy and a stock price between $3 and $6 in the last year alone is speculative at best. ROE is low single digits and operating margin is low. Are you looking for home runs? Or base hits?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
saedif
Contributor
Contributor

Post by saedif »

Altared, I understand why you're in the diamond ring now, hat raised with accomplishments! :thumbsup:
I'm gonna think about it and post soon enough.
I figured that with these recent highs and lows recently with BDI and the dividend, I would hold but thinking now I would sell at next high.
Thank you so much guys
Regards from Pointe-Claire
Saedif
westcoastfella
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westcoastfella »

recently added to existing positions in BNS, TD, and NWC in non registered account. I've gone a bit overweight in financials, but with consistent earnings beats and dividend raises, I'm not too concerned right now.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

I bought 3400 shares of BUS on the venture exchange. They specialize in manufacturing 30 and 35 for public transit buses. They have a large order book from Canadian municipalities and acquiring orders in the USA. It appears that this size of bus is becoming more popular and they appear to have that market in their back pocket.
Sensei
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Sensei »

Hi,
ne crains pas l'echec...
Saedif, are you a Bruce Lee fan? I like him too, but you should find other mentors for investing. :wink:
Cheers

"A dividend being paid today is always a positive return." Josh Peters, Morningstar
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:They say that patience is a virtue.
Last Dec 13, Peculiar_Investor wrote:So back on November 17th I eliminated my POT holding @ $23.90 and placed a limit order for AGU to replace it. Unfortunately Mr. Market's hasn't wanted to co-operate and I've only filled 25% of the AGU order. I'm willing to be patient and wait out a fill on my terms, not Mr. Market's. If, or when, this happens I'll post in the "What did you Buy" topic. Mr. Market will determine if that's the 2016 version or the 2017 version. :lol:
The answer is the 2017 version. :D

I've been patiently waiting and extending my limit order every 30 days or so, letting many pitches go past. I finally saw the one I was waiting for, as Mr. Market finally took me up on my offer yesterday and I now have the desired position size in Agrium, buying yesterday @ $130.97.
Had an order @125 for months and it almost got there 2 days ago. And now it is back at $135. Note to self: if you want to buy something, have the conviction to buy it at the current price.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

jay wrote:Note to self: if you want to buy something, have the conviction to buy it at the current price.
Why? What's so magical about the current price? Does it represent fair value to you and provide a margin of safety if your analysis or investment thesis is slightly wrong? When you go shopping in a retail setting, do you look for sales and comparison shop, or do you just purchase something at the closest store (at the moment) at whatever price they've set? If you want to buy something, shouldn't you make some determination of what you are willing to pay for it?

My approach is the opposite, determine what I'm willing to pay and have the patience and conviction to wait for my pitch rather than accept what Mr. Market is offering at any given time. What I'm willing to pay is based on my valuation of the company and their business and it generally gets updated as new company financial information becomes available.

This approach isn't foolproof, I've definitely missed some opportunities to purchase good companies that just never hit my price. But overall it has served me well.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:
jay wrote:Note to self: if you want to buy something, have the conviction to buy it at the current price.
Why? What's so magical about the current price? Does it represent fair value to you and provide a margin of safety if your analysis or investment thesis is slightly wrong? When you go shopping in a retail setting, do you look for sales and comparison shop, or do you just purchase something at the closest store (at the moment) at whatever price they've set? If you want to buy something, shouldn't you make some determination of what you are willing to pay for it?

My approach is the opposite, determine what I'm willing to pay and have the patience and conviction to wait for my pitch rather than accept what Mr. Market is offering at any given time. What I'm willing to pay is based on my valuation of the company and their business and it generally gets updated as new company financial information becomes available.

This approach isn't foolproof, I've definitely missed some opportunities to purchase good companies that just never hit my price. But overall it has served me well.
Agreed, except that limit orders really work against you when you are off by 50c only. That is what I meant
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

I like the baseball analogy. Although the longer & longer I invest I realize that waiting for that perfect pitch isn't necessarily always the right move. If I can get on first, steal second, get to third on some luck and make it home with help from the rest of my portfolio I'm starting to find that $2 here or there is really minor in the overall gains of the portfolio.
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
Profit not Prophet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Profit not Prophet »

I like the long charts where world wars and plagues are 2 mm high dimples. So...

A lot of agony over buying Monday at $137 or Wed at $135 or Friday at $142. Getting 'the price'. Aim for 2027 or beyond, you might not even recall this year. Sounds like the Jetson's but it's just another ten years. I guess my baseball team would get walks, or stand up singles, and grind around the bases. Not many homerun sluggers out there. Beats me, I'd mutter something about study the system but I'm not blonde :)
newin96
Contributor
Contributor

Post by newin96 »

Have had TD on my target list for a while.
Couldn't resist the 5+% drop today as a result of the news.
Longterm hold.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

I'm starting to find that $2 here or there is really minor in the overall gains of the portfolio.
If your talking about an overall transaction on $5 - 10,000 sure $2.00 isn't much if your refering to per share that's a little different. I hold just over a total of 40,000 shares (all shares in each company added together) in different companies a $1 or $2 loss on each share starts to add up.

Bought a wack of VAB over the last few months DCA in about $20,000 at a time, Level II on each transaction shaved a few dimes here and there not really a whole lot but a few $100, at least.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Added to VSB with the proceeds from the BMO sale.

(Maybe I should have sold TD :lol: .)
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones