What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Post by Koogie »

An order for some SRU.UN got triggered in my TFSA when the price hit my average cost.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

loaded on Aimia fixed resets C series at $8/share. Aimia shares took a hit due to Air Canada cutting ties with Aimia
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Bought shares of Corby. Went for the non-voting: CSW.B Higher divvie, same company. Fairly boring, moderate dividend growth + occasional attractive special dividends.

May become a regular user of their products :wink:
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

JaydoubleU wrote: 12 May 2017 12:18 Bought shares of Corby. Went for the non-voting: CSW.B Higher divvie, same company. Fairly boring, moderate dividend growth + occasional attractive special dividends.

You mean you'll be putting your mouth where your money is? :D
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

You mean you'll be putting your mouth where your money is? :D
Drinkin' away the profits! :D
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Bought some American Hotels Reit[ hot.un] . It's been on my radar. Don't know if has much upside. It has a great dividend of 8.5%.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Thegipper wrote: 12 May 2017 21:55 Bought some American Hotels Reit[ hot.un] . It's been on my radar. Don't know if has much upside. It has a great dividend of 8.5%.
That is a bet on the economy. Receational/hotel businesses are highly cyclical with the business cycle and personally not an area that I would touch.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
rharvey199
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rharvey199 »

picked up some OTEX last week after the earnings miss.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

With volatility at record lows, I decided to bet on some volatility so I bought some TVIX, 2x the volatility index (VIX) at $25.10. I don't plan to hold it for long.
milton
Contributor
Contributor

Post by milton »

Thegipper wrote: 12 May 2017 21:55 Bought some American Hotels Reit[ hot.un] . It's been on my radar. Don't know if has much upside. It has a great dividend of 8.5%.
Started a position in hot.un last year when my Innvest REIT got bought up by private equity. It's a nice diversifier to the other holdings in the equal weighted REIT portfolio (exe, kmp, ap, rei, hr, and nvu). That half of hot.un is comprised of railway hotels leased out at long term rates to the freight industry provides some insurance against Airbnb. I also like CEO Rob O'Neill of Coast Hotel and CHIP REIT fame, a proven performer.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Added to Sun Life Financial (TSE:SLF) position at $44.5 this morning. All gains since Trump's election have been reversed.
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

Finally a relief to see the markets in red.

Haven't bought anything yet, still waiting for more red.

A dilemma I am currently juggling with: about to finally begin investing in the non-registered portions of our investment portfolio and I can't decide if I want to basically just create a quasi-TSX index made up of the largest (and subjectively judged "higher quality" companies) or just buy VCN.

The simplicity of VCN is really compelling...
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

jay wrote: 16 May 2017 11:20 With volatility at record lows, I decided to bet on some volatility so I bought some TVIX, 2x the volatility index (VIX) at $25.10. I don't plan to hold it for long.
Wow, you picked the perfect time to enter this trade. VIX jumped 46% today, the sixth biggest jump in the history of the index.

Please pray tell... are you an FBI agent? NYT insider? Did you know that Comey memo revelations would be released later in the day? :lol: :lol: :lol:
rharvey199
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rharvey199 »

got my eye on some of the dividend payers (BCE, ENB, BIP, BEP, FTS) and i have my target prices/yields. let's see if the prices get there.....
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

ig17 wrote: 17 May 2017 20:01
jay wrote: 16 May 2017 11:20 With volatility at record lows, I decided to bet on some volatility so I bought some TVIX, 2x the volatility index (VIX) at $25.10. I don't plan to hold it for long.
Wow, you picked the perfect time to enter this trade. VIX jumped 46% today, the sixth biggest jump in the history of the index.

Please pray tell... are you an FBI agent? NYT insider? Did you know that Comey memo revelations would be released later in the day? :lol: :lol: :lol:
haha :). It has been on my mind to either go long volatility or buy some puts with some of the trading gains I made this year. I just thought it was weird the VIX had been rising since last week yet TVIX continued to drop until Tuesday. Anyways, another lucky. I might sell half very soon and hold some in case the VIX goes above 20 in the short term.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

rharvey199 wrote: 17 May 2017 21:48 got my eye on some of the dividend payers (BCE, ENB, BIP, BEP, FTS) and i have my target prices/yields. let's see if the prices get there.....
Same here. I am watching TD, BNS, NA, ENB, SAP, ATD.B and BEP.UN very closely.
bindexit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bindexit »

Recently added:

-Power Corporation of Canada (TSE:POW) $29 and change
-Valener Inc (TSE:VNR) $21 and change
-VANGUARD CDN SHORT TERM CORP BD IDX ETF (TSE:VSC) $24 and change

Re: Mentioned before, markets seem inflated and IMO these "seem" like conservative choices in the event of a down trend.
lacrosse905
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lacrosse905 »

Bought more ENF @32.50
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

JaydoubleU wrote: 12 May 2017 12:18 Bought shares of Corby. Went for the non-voting: CSW.B Higher divvie, same company. Fairly boring, moderate dividend growth + occasional attractive special dividends.

Bought shares of Corby as well, except I added to my voting CSW.A. I was short in the Consumer Discretionary sector and Corby was a perfect fit.

I'm hoping to hold on to Corby shares longer than Buffett held on to his then Guinness in the early 90's (now Diageo). Apparently he lost an estimated 15 to 20% on that investment.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Playing Aimia again. Just started a trading position of TSE:AIM at $2.4. Company is trading like it is going out of business in the short term.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

jay wrote: 19 May 2017 10:13 Playing Aimia again. Just started a trading position of TSE:AIM at $2.4. Company is trading like it is going out of business in the short term.
I wonder about their future with AC cutting their ties and the high level of dissatisfaction among Aeroplan customers.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Thegipper wrote: 19 May 2017 14:10
jay wrote: 19 May 2017 10:13 Playing Aimia again. Just started a trading position of TSE:AIM at $2.4. Company is trading like it is going out of business in the short term.
I wonder about their future with AC cutting their ties and the high level of dissatisfaction among Aeroplan customers.
Same. I just think the price here provides a good entry for a short term trade. But I have been wrong before :). I am happy to have made 7.5% already and will likely sell it all early next week.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Got the buyout notice today from TDDI. Due 6/30 for $10 for New Flyer Industries common (convertible debenture @ 6.25%). Currently trading for $55. Hope it holds for 6 more weeks. Easy way to turn $40000 into $220000! In my RRIF.

(I don't know if you heard Obama talking about Chicago buses made in Winnipeg. Hopefully Trump will not hear about them!)
For the fun of it...Keith
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

kcowan wrote: 20 May 2017 12:26 Got the buyout notice today from TDDI. Due 6/30 for $10 for New Flyer Industries common (convertible debenture @ 6.25%). Currently trading for $55. Hope it holds for 6 more weeks. Easy way to turn $40000 into $220000! In my RRIF.

(I don't know if you heard Obama talking about Chicago buses made in Winnipeg. Hopefully Trump will not hear about them!)
I believe they actually assembly the buses at Crookston Minnesota. Have a friend who in his retirement drives the finished product to the customer.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Thanks. Do you have any idea what is driving the stock up? I bought it as a safe FI with a good yield but the upside is amazing. I know they got a new order a few weeks ago. This is what I would like to see Bombardier do! But I fear they are another Ballard.
For the fun of it...Keith