What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Post by Thegipper »

About 16% of my holdings are in USA techs. Facebook, Apple, Google and Amazon. I am eyeing Microsoft. It seems to becoming something more then Windows with other operations like it's growing cloud business. It's numbers have been quite positive. I also have small positions with Nvidia and Salesforce. To some this made some to be to much in one sector. My theory is most investors are to concentrated in financials and we are living in an era were the tech giants are dominating the economy. Any views on Microsoft?
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

The last time I owned individual tech stocks was over fifteen years ago. Never been tempted to buy back into them. I figure I have enough in the tech sector in our indexed TFSA's and RRSP's.

As far as Canadian financials, in the non-registered account, for individual equities my target allocation today is 15%. It's been around that figure for a good seven years now.

Will probably buy at least one individual dividend growth stock for the non-registered sometime within the next few months. Filling up the TFSA's in the coming very soon New Year will be a high priority.

I've gone back to reading about the defensive investor in Benjamin Graham's "The Intelligent Investor". I'm no longer the enterprising investor I attempted to be a few years ago. Makes investing a heck of a lot simpler.
shmenge
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shmenge »

3000 sh PGF @ $1.33
Energy stocks seem to be perking up
If you want to buy stocks why would you want them to rise in price? - Warren Buffett
The Stock Market Speculator
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Looking to establish a long term position in Thomson Reuters (TSE:TRI). A good TSX60 consumer stock that I would be comfortable holding long term. Watching it closely after the drop this morning due to missing rev ($2.79B compared to $2.74B last year, but lower than the expected $2.82B). They still beat on earnings (0.68 vs 0.58 per share) and they affirmed guidance. Stock looks attractive but this drop might trigger more selling in the coming days (tax loss selling - stock is down YTD) so I might just wait a few days.
ockham
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ockham »

jay wrote: 01 Nov 2017 10:33 ..... Thomson Reuters (TSE:TRI). A good TSX60 consumer stock....
Why is TRI classed as a consumer stock?? I've had a position in TRI since 2008, and categorize it under "consumer" because, well, because that's how it's classified. But, frankly, don't understand why.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

ockham wrote: 01 Nov 2017 10:57
jay wrote: 01 Nov 2017 10:33 ..... Thomson Reuters (TSE:TRI). A good TSX60 consumer stock....
Why is TRI classed as a consumer stock?? I've had a position in TRI since 2008, and categorize it under "consumer" because, well, because that's how it's classified. But, frankly, don't understand why.
Perhaps somewhere between Financials, Consumer and Commercials services?
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

Doesn't make any sense to me either. RBC classifies TRI as Media, TDDI classifies it as Communications. TRI provides services to the financial industry, so I classify TRI in my financial allocation.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

The stock quote page from TMX, Thomson Reuters Corporation [TRI] | Thomson Reuters Corporation Company Profile | TMXmoney, indicates Sector is Financial Services which makes sense to me as a shareholder.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

I had a inkling that we've had this discussion before and I found it here.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

I will never buy Reuters for their refusal to use the word "terrorists" in their news stories, and just labeling them "militants". :twisted:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by schmuck »

Had been thinking of adding to my position in AQN for some time, and bought some this morning at 13.09 after hearing about their deal with Abengoa in Spain. Details seem a bit vague, but didn't want to wait for a bunch of reviews as it looked like the stock was ready to bounce back from it's morning low. Hope to check it out the details and reviews over the next couple of days and possibly pick up a bit more if it goes lower.

Added:
Bought a bit more at 13.24 after Bruce Campbell said on Market Call that it was only about 10% of their total business (actually more like 12%), and that it would be 5% accretive over several years. He said it would give AQN a footprint in Europe and he considered it a good buying opportunity. Of course he already owns the stock :wink:, but he looks to me as more of a straight shooter than many of the other guests on the show.
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

Bought more ENF @ 29.02 today on the dip. Purpose was to create more regular income. It replaces income lost when I sold half my ENB prefs and my position in ARE. I also bought 500 shares of DR, because of the yield. I can afford to have made a bad trade on this but I've been following the stock for a couple of years and figured now was a good time to jump in. We'll see....

In my RRSP, I bought 200 shares of ENB. Normally, I hold ENB in my non-registered account where my ACB is $14 a share. In the past few years, I sold off some of my shares at prices well above today's purchase price. I didn't mind paying taxes on that gain. But if I were to have added more ENB at today's price, the stock fell below my comfort level, and I decided to sell, I'd have to pay taxes on part of the capital gain I wish to continue to defer. So I bought it on the registered side of my account where the 5%+ dividend will be a pleasant change from the GIC rates I am getting. I am now at my max position for this stock.
Regards,
Pickles
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Like Schmuck, I bought AQN early this morning at $10.2x in a number of partials (on the Nasdaq). A way to use up my accumulating cash in my USD account which was getting very little in DYN400 and a reasonable ~78 cent loonie. This completes a partial position I had been holding for a year or so.

Similar rationale albeit I am not sure about a Spanish partner....... There are a lot of things the Spaniards don't do very well.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Added to TSE:ENB at $46.75 and TSE:ENF at $28. Hard to resist these yields
beachcomber
Contributor
Contributor

Post by beachcomber »

Well I'm considering buying some more FTS. I think it's in its 44th year of increased dividends. And any outfit that can charge me $32.45 for $4.59 worth of natural gas (my September bill) with the blessing of both the federal and provincial governments attracts my attention. So if you can't beat 'em join 'em ;-)

One shouldn't forget that the late, great Joey Smallwood was instrumental in the creation of this slick outfit, shortly after Canada joined Newfoundland. I think Fortis is almost politically untouchable.
FinEcon
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by FinEcon »

beachcomber wrote: 03 Nov 2017 13:31 Well I'm considering buying some more FTS. I think it's in its 44th year of increased dividends. And any outfit that can charge me $32.45 for $4.59 worth of natural gas (my September bill) with the blessing of both the federal and provincial governments attracts my attention. So if you can't beat 'em join 'em ;-)

One shouldn't forget that the late, great Joey Smallwood was instrumental in the creation of this slick outfit, shortly after Canada joined Newfoundland. I think Fortis is almost politically untouchable.
Perhaps utilities could forego fixed infrastructure charges and float the $4.95 worth of gas to your house in a balloon.
Show me the incentive and I will show you the outcome

--Charlie Munger
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Took small positions in Spinmaster, Photon Controls, Nuvista and AVO. I am always looking at the small cap sector. It has served me well. These were bought inside a RRIF. Also took a much larger position in the DowDupont stock. I needed to diversify away from the US big tech companies that I hold. Trying to find something with a strong moat and I am hopeful that DWDP fits the bill. It is bigger challenge to find such protection because of all the tech disruption.
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

Thegipper wrote: 03 Nov 2017 16:06 Took small positions in Spinmaster, Photon Controls, Nuvista and AVO. I am always looking at the small cap sector. It has served me well.
Would you be interested in starting a thread about interesting small caps, gipper? I've always invested in the big stuff and I'm very comfortable with large cap dividend-producing stocks. I don't trade much. But I have about 5% in cash and would be interested in looking at small caps as something interesting to do as a sideline in my portfolio. They are not well covered on BNN or in the usual financial papers, and I couldn't find a thread that covered them as a group.
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Used excess cash in my TFSA to expand the ENB in the TFSA from 50 to 100. Last of the big-time spenders. :wink:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Shakespeare wrote: 03 Nov 2017 22:16 Used excess cash in my TFSA to expand the ENB in the TFSA from 50 to 100. Last of the big-time spenders. :wink:
I too threw caution to the wind and bought 100 ENB for wifies open account, as a port total we now own 984 shares.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Wallace wrote: 03 Nov 2017 19:16
Thegipper wrote: 03 Nov 2017 16:06 Took small positions in Spinmaster, Photon Controls, Nuvista and AVO. I am always looking at the small cap sector. It has served me well.
Would you be interested in starting a thread about interesting small caps, gipper? I've always invested in the big stuff and I'm very comfortable with large cap dividend-producing stocks. I don't trade much. But I have about 5% in cash and would be interested in looking at small caps as something interesting to do as a sideline in my portfolio. They are not well covered on BNN or in the usual financial papers, and I couldn't find a thread that covered them as a group.
Will look into it. I have concentrated on small caps in my TFSAs . With excellent results. Our two TFSA accounts are in the 210 k range and we have decided to turn l our good fortunate and convert these accounts in to dividend paying stocks. So I am not as focused as I used to be. There are a few market call guests who are good at identifying small cap opportunities. A guy from AGF[ Imoff?] and Peter Hodson are two that come to mind.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

Thegipper wrote: 04 Nov 2017 19:44 Will look into it. I have concentrated on small caps in my TFSAs . With excellent results. Our two TFSA accounts are in the 210 k range...
210K combined or 210K each?

If the latter, I should start paying more attention to your stock ideas. :shock:
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

ig17 wrote: 04 Nov 2017 20:10
Thegipper wrote: 04 Nov 2017 19:44 Will look into it. I have concentrated on small caps in my TFSAs . With excellent results. Our two TFSA accounts are in the 210 k range...

If the latter, I should start paying more attention to your stock ideas. :shock:
Combined. I held some corporate bonds in there as well. Over time that was a mistake. I am still happy with the overall results.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

ig17 wrote: 04 Nov 2017 20:10

I am not trying to convince anyone on my approach. It's a free market and we each can go their own way. I am just sharing my experience.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

Sorry TheGipper, that was my lame attempt at a joke. I apologize if my comment rubbed you the wrong way.

210K is a great result.