What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Post by jay »

Thegipper wrote: 01 Jun 2017 17:44
jay wrote: 01 Jun 2017 13:49 Bought Saputo at $41.5. Had no prior position and been hoping to get in for the longest time. Had a stink bid at $41.5 which just filled due to market's reaction to their earnings report
Earnings reports are closely tied to the price of a stock. A decline in top line even is always bad as is a decline in earnings.
doesn't look it was just justified. Back to the same price just before the earnings.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Finally got another buyout notice today from TDDI. Due 6/30 for $6.48 for Enercare common (convertible debenture @ 6.25%). Currently trading for $19.30; has to hold for 3 more weeks. Easy way to turn $10000 into $29783! Another of the rare good ones!
For the fun of it...Keith
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Bought Imperial Oil (TSE:IMO) at $37.75: Decent fundamentals (Forward P/E=14.2, P/B=1.3, P/S=1.1 and P/CF=13.8 according to MorningStar) in a depressed sector and way oversold, trading at multi year lows. This is a non core holding and I will be happy to sell if I made a quick profit on it.
rharvey199
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rharvey199 »

whose looking at BCE? now yielding 4.8%. if it gets to 5% i think i'll add some more to my non reg portfolio
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

BCE trading ex-div, hence the drop, no?

But the somewhat surprise announcement from the BoC that rates may rise sooner than expected could be causing a bit of a shakeup among the dividend / interest rate sensitives (?)
lacrosse905
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lacrosse905 »

I bought ENB yesterday @51.20, missed out on the low of $51.00. Almost 52 week low and not moving up today much. One of the long holds for me. A guest on BNN this morning was saying he thought pipelines were a good buy and undervalued. I am out of oil and gas individual companies but still own TRP/IPL and PPL.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

I bought ENB yesterday @51.20, missed out on the low of $51.00. Almost 52 week low and not moving up today much. One of the long holds for me. A guest on BNN this morning was saying he thought pipelines were a good buy and undervalued.
Shoulda bought it today :?
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

JaydoubleU wrote: 14 Jun 2017 17:23
I bought ENB yesterday @51.20, missed out on the low of $51.00. Almost 52 week low and not moving up today much. One of the long holds for me. A guest on BNN this morning was saying he thought pipelines were a good buy and undervalued.
Shoulda bought it today :?
I'm looking at adding some more ENB as well kinda confused as to how much its worth at the moment :?
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
lacrosse905
Contributor
Contributor

Post by lacrosse905 »

I was too early to the party on ENB but would buy more here. Also looking at SNC....some good buys out there, but this market can go up down sideways for the summer....who knows not me....happy to collect dividends while waiting. :thumbsup:
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

lacrosse905 wrote: 14 Jun 2017 22:25 I was too early to the party on ENB but would buy more here. Also looking at SNC....some good buys out there, but this market can go up down sideways for the summer....who knows not me....happy to collect dividends while waiting. :thumbsup:
The first really negative ENB comment I've seen on BNN:

http://www.bnn.ca/market-call-tonight/j ... ge~1146626

2 yen
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I find John is one of the better guests with his views. I suppose this may be because his views tend to resonate with me more than most of the jokers, but he also focuses on key criteria like debt, balance sheet, D/E ratios and the like. Companies with huge debt are going to suffer headwinds as interest rates rise and some of the companies who are highly leveraged AND have high dividend payout ratios are really rolling the dice.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

AltaRed wrote: 15 Jun 2017 09:57 I find John is one of the better guests with his views. I suppose this may be because his views tend to resonate with me more than most of the jokers, but he also focuses on key criteria like debt, balance sheet, D/E ratios and the like. Companies with huge debt are going to suffer headwinds as interest rates rise and some of the companies who are highly leveraged AND have high dividend payout ratios are really rolling the dice.
Agreed. I found his honesty refreshing. At one point he says things have become way too complicated. You dig a hole, put a pipe in and charge rent - that's it. All the complicated financial structures surrounding this are worrisome. Also, one of his beefs is that the stock is too expensive right now.

2 yen
rharvey199
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rharvey199 »

i guess you could make a bearish or bullish case for every stock on the tsx. ENB had an investor day update last week. the presentation is on their site and it's an interesting read. ENB is yielding close to 5% today based on FY current dividend with commitment to raising the dividend. IMO the key for ENB is cash flow. if the cash flow covers the dividend and allows them to pay down debt (which they plan to do based on the presentation) at the same time then i think things will be fine. problem is it's share price is driven by oil and it's been a bond proxy so there are some headwinds. but at 5% and growing dividend i might buy some in my non reg account to take advantage of the dividend tax credit. if i hold for 10 years i think things will work out.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Where I differ is I believe ENB's dividend growth story will stall partly because their growth (including secured projects) will not be as strong as they say, and partly due to interest rate increases on debt. But hey, I still own a full position of ENB even after having taken a good portion of it off the top at higher prices. I will stick around but am not counting on it having a future as good as the past.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

jay wrote: 19 Apr 2017 16:38 I have added TFI International Inc (Transforce) TSE:TFII to my radar. I have ZERO Industrials coverage in my portfolio and I am looking to add a well valued stock. CNR and CP are also on my radar but their dividend is too low.

The only thing I don't like is the high debt/equity ratio being greater than 1. But it is significantly lower than previous years. Also, being a cyclical, I will likely wait for a month or two until the freight/trucking season starts.
Started a new position in TFI International Inc (Transforce) TSE:TFII at $26.5. The stock got cheap enough with a forward P/E of 11.2, P/B of 1.7, P/S of 0.6 and P/CF of 8.5
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

Bought some Costco amidst the retail slaughter today due to the buyout of Whole Foods by Amazon.

My opinion is that Costco is among the best in retail/grocery and has the best chance of staying relevant for the foreseeable future.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

SkaSka wrote: 16 Jun 2017 19:23 Bought some Costco amidst the retail slaughter today due to the buyout of Whole Foods by Amazon.

My opinion is that Costco is among the best in retail/grocery and has the best chance of staying relevant for the foreseeable future.
Look out for Alibaba. It's latest numbers are scary and they haven't really tried to penerate western markets. It may be bigger in the future then Amazon.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

2 yen wrote: 15 Jun 2017 07:41
lacrosse905 wrote: 14 Jun 2017 22:25 I was too early to the party on ENB but would buy more here. Also looking at SNC....some good buys out there, but this market can go up down sideways for the summer....who knows not me....happy to collect dividends while waiting. :thumbsup:
The first really negative ENB comment I've seen on BNN:

http://www.bnn.ca/market-call-tonight/j ... ge~1146626

2 yen
45 Billion dollars in debt. That alone is a scary number. Do any of the so called experts ever look at debt levels?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

The absolute number is less important than the ratio and they have brought down to almost 1 recently.
https://ycharts.com/companies/ENB/debt_equity_ratio
I am surprised at that since D/E ratio was terrible not so long ago.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

AltaRed wrote: 17 Jun 2017 00:13 The absolute number is less important than the ratio and they have brought down to almost 1 recently.
Just curious . They made a major acquisition , increased the dividend and decreased their debt by half? May-be Houdini is still alive.
rharvey199
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rharvey199 »

SkaSka wrote: 16 Jun 2017 19:23 Bought some Costco amidst the retail slaughter today due to the buyout of Whole Foods by Amazon.

i think i'll pass on the entire retail and grocery sectors. too many variables, too much disruption. i'll stick to boring things - like Canadian Utilities :)
rharvey199
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rharvey199 »

Thegipper wrote: 17 Jun 2017 00:38
AltaRed wrote: 17 Jun 2017 00:13 The absolute number is less important than the ratio and they have brought down to almost 1 recently.
Just curious . They made a major acquisition , increased the dividend and decreased their debt by half? May-be Houdini is still alive.
ENB is predicting Debt to EBITDA to go from 6.2x in 2016 to 4.3x in 2019. The Spectra deal was, IMO, the big one. I dont think ENB will be doing any more deals that big again.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

rharvey199 wrote: 17 Jun 2017 08:52

i think i'll pass on the entire retail and grocery sectors. too many variables, too much disruption. i'll stick to boring things - like Canadian Utilities :)
:thumbsup:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

My opinion is that of all the retail/grocery out there, none quite exhibits the dedication and loyalty of Costco.

Why? Low prices and great customer service (~14% max markup and the ability to return anything, anytime with no questions asked). Probably also mix in the treasure hunt aspect of their product mix/rotation and the annual membership, it makes for sticky customer retention.

I'd be weary of touching any other retailer/grocery operator.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

SkaSka wrote: 17 Jun 2017 12:14 the ability to return anything, anytime with no questions asked
True up to a point.
A friend of mine has crossed a threshold in returning too many items and was barred from returning anything else beyond that point.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]