What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Post by Thegipper »

bindexit wrote: 05 Apr 2017 16:24 In past few months, added to holdings of:

-Valener Inc (TSE:VNR) around $21.50
-BMO S&P/TSX Laddered Preferred Share Index ETF (TSE:ZPR) around $11
-Claymore 1-5 Yr Laddered Corporation Bond Exchange Traded Fund (TSE:CBO) around $19.00

Re: CBO - Easy to manage for fixed income portion of portfolio. Wanted a bit more interest ooompph due to an unattractive low rate environment; I prefer Vanguard's equivalent for the MER but already have this one.
Re: Valener, ZPR: Really can't figure out what is better to buy right now and so opted for more of this. IMO equities in Canada appear overvalued.
ZPR will do very well if we see interest rates rising in Canada.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Added to my Agrium (TSE:AGU) position this morning at $122.87. Full position now at 3% of my equity portfolio. It along with other Materials holdings Cameco and Stella Jones constitute 7.5% of my CAD equity portfolio. Won't be adding to my Materials holding unless things a major correctional event happened. This remains the least weighted sector in my portfolio but a 7.5% weight is significant enough. At least for now.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

jay wrote: 17 Apr 2017 11:51 ...along with other Materials holdings Cameco and Stella Jones ...
I thought it was strange that you included Stella Jones under Materials, but sure enough, SJ is shown as a constituent in the TMX Material index. I also noticed that packaging companies CCL, Intertape, and Winpak are constituents in the Material index. I expected these companies would be in the Industrial index rather than the Material index. In my personal equity allocation, I have included these companies in my Industrial allocation.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Arby wrote: 17 Apr 2017 13:02
jay wrote: 17 Apr 2017 11:51 ...along with other Materials holdings Cameco and Stella Jones ...
I thought it was strange that you included Stella Jones under Materials, but sure enough, SJ is shown as a constituent in the TMX Material index. I also noticed that packaging companies CCL, Intertape, and Winpak are constituents in the Material index. I expected these companies would be in the Industrial index rather than the Material index. In my personal equity allocation, I have included these companies in my Industrial allocation.
I'm much the same. Just last week, after going through this year's list of 5 year dividend growth stocks at the Financial Post, instead of ignoring the materials sector like I have in the past because there were so few choices I was interested in, I decided to combine materials with industrials in my watch list.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

A GIC matured in a RESP. I put the proceeds into VSC. It pays a nice 7% dividend ,has very low debt for a pipeline and has excellent established pipelines which serve the Chicago and the Upper US midwest markets.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Taggart wrote: 17 Apr 2017 13:24
Arby wrote: 17 Apr 2017 13:02
I'm much the same. Just last week, after going through this year's list of 5 year dividend growth stocks at the Financial Post, instead of ignoring the materials sector like I have in the past because there were so few choices I was interested in, I decided to combine materials with industrials in my watch list.
I base mine on The Globe and Mail.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Decided to add to my (trading position) in Home Capital Group Inc (TSE:HCG) this morning at 21.3. ACB is now 22.35. This is a very small trading position in my TFSA just to spice things up a little. I will be happy to sell for a quick +10% gain (or a 10% stop loss which got too close this morning).
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

jay wrote: 17 Apr 2017 14:37 Decided to add to my (trading position) in Home Capital Group Inc (TSE:HCG) this morning at 21.3. ACB is now 22.35. This is a very small trading position in my TFSA just to spice things up a little. I will be happy to sell for a quick +10% gain (or a 10% stop loss which got too close this morning).
I figure his knife has a long ways to go.
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

Filled out a position in Stella Jones last week that I bought in 3 sets over the past month. ACB of $40.55 and a longterm hold at this point.
Investing thesis is pretty simple; infrastructure investment is unavoidable for rails and energy companies. The more I researched the more this was a company I could see Buffett buying (and he likely would)
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

I have added TFI International Inc (Transforce) TSE:TFII to my radar. I have ZERO Industrials coverage in my portfolio and I am looking to add a well valued stock. CNR and CP are also on my radar but their dividend is too low.

The only thing I don't like is the high debt/equity ratio being greater than 1. But it is significantly lower than previous years. Also, being a cyclical, I will likely wait for a month or two until the freight/trucking season starts.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

jay wrote: 19 Apr 2017 16:38I have ZERO Industrials coverage in my portfolio and I am looking to add a well valued stock. CNR and CP are also on my radar but their dividend is too low..
Dividend yield will likely never be high on these... unless stock price plummets. My objection to both CN and CP is their valuations are way too high. That matters to me more in terms of Total Return potential than a dividend yield. I will likely never own either one at this rate...short of another major recession pullback.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

jay wrote: 19 Apr 2017 16:38 I have added TFI International Inc (Transforce) TSE:TFII to my radar. I have ZERO Industrials coverage in my portfolio and I am looking to add a well valued stock. CNR and CP are also on my radar but their dividend is too low.
CNR I've owned since 2009 and it just keeps moving along, not too fast, not too slow. I just love the consistency of it's dividend growth, year after year. Not a buy recommendation right now mind you.

CP I don't even have in my watch list. I suppose it may be a great investment if it ever becomes a deep value stock, but I won't be in their buying it.

Some of my best investments have been in low yield, growth stocks. I just treat them the same as my high yielders. If the equity is a good fit into whatever sector I require, then that's all I need to know. I don't go looking for bargains anymore like I used to, but then again, I don't want to pay too much either.
morleymarkle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by morleymarkle »

Haven't done anything in ages... holding lots of cash in all my various accounts.

Periodically lurk on the site, but had nothing to add.

For some reason, after watching everything keep going up and up and up, got sick of it and decided to do something - anything (spring fever I expect) and recently bought a small amount of both Turquoise Hill (TRQ-T) and Tidewater Midstream Infrastructure (TWM-X).

Turqouise I've held for years; back since it was the original Ivanhoe Mines.

Been watching it bounce between 3.00 and 5.00 for a couple of years. Never did anything. I had a weird number of shares, so I finally bought some (odd lot) at around 3.81 to take me to a round number. Current overall average cost is 4.43 down about 15% overall.

Tidewater is a new purchase I've been eyeing for a while (came to my attention through Market Call), and finally bit the bullet and bought some at 1.55 and 1.43. Little debt - a moderate amount insider buying at similar or higher prices.
As usual I should have waited (I'm already down 11%) but I don't really care.

Both purchases are relatively small - and more a result of me suddenly deciding to do something/anything.

My intention is to hold them long term, and maybe even forget about them for a few years.

Might add to both if they both see significant drops, or I get bored and get itchy feet again.

EDIT: Added ticker symbols.
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

Added 100 shares of TD to my existing recent holding. Eventually, I will journal it to the US side, sell it and use the proceeds for travel.
Regards,
Pickles
nisser
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by nisser »

About 400 shares of DR. It's at a 52 week low and I can't find a good reason. 7% yield
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Re: High interest rates for savings, GICs and MMFs (2017)

Post by Hogwild »

Equitable Bank (parent or sister company of EQBank) stock price has dropped from $70.00 per share to 40.00. This is since April 10. That gives it a P/E of approx. 4.6 . Anyone considering buying EQB stock here and waiting it out until things go back to "normal" (whatever that means these days)?
Last edited by Hogwild on 28 Apr 2017 12:53, edited 3 times in total.
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hogwild »

A good reason to what? Buy or Sell?

nisser wrote: 28 Apr 2017 01:51 About 400 shares of DR. It's at a 52 week low and I can't find a good reason. 7% yield
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: High interest rates for savings, GICs and MMFs (2017)

Post by AltaRed »

Hogwild wrote: 28 Apr 2017 11:36 Equitable Bank (parent or sister company of EQBank whose HISA fund shares Mom holds) stock price has dropped from $70.00 per share to 40.00. This is since April 10. That gives it a P/E of approx. 4.6 . Anyone considering buying EQB stock here and waiting it out until things to back to "normal"?
Dunno. Is this a 'caught in the downdraft' issue only? Or has the alternative lending market caught a disease? Think Concordia (as in the Valeant story). FWIW, I don't gamble. Haven't been to Vegas in years.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Hogwild wrote: 28 Apr 2017 11:55 A good reason to what? Buy or Sell?

nisser wrote: 28 Apr 2017 01:51 About 400 shares of DR. It's at a 52 week low and I can't find a good reason. 7% yield
Good reason to sell. They run a very similar operation. The shorts will be piling in on this one as well.
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

My guess is he can't find a good reason why the stock is at a 52 week low.

The reason is that there are more people who want to sell than there are that want to buy the stock. There are multitude of reasons why one would want to sell and the reality is that If you own the stock and want to sell you have to lower the price to where you can find a buyer.

It is not the fundamentals that move a stocks price it is the investors perception of the fundamentals.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Bought three US stocks. FIVE,Apple and Amazon. I have been underweight with Tech stocks. I already own Alpabet and Constellation Software. So these two addition will give me a solid footprint.
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hogwild »

Deaddog:

Yes, in this case, I knew the basic theory. What the OP didn't say was whether is his rationale. Most of us know what the standard thinking is.
(S)he still hasn't stated if he bought it or sold it at this price. I assumed (s)he bought cause this thread is entitled "What did you Buy? What might you buy? Hence my confusion.

deaddog wrote: 28 Apr 2017 14:21

The reason is that there are more people who want to sell than there are that want to buy the stock. There are multitude of reasons why one would want to sell and the reality is that If you own the stock and want to sell you have to lower the price to where you can find a buyer.

It is not the fundamentals that move a stocks price it is the investors perception of the fundamentals.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

Hogwild wrote: 28 Apr 2017 11:36 Equitable Bank (parent or sister company of EQBank) stock price has dropped from $70.00 per share to 40.00. This is since April 10. That gives it a P/E of approx. 4.6 . Anyone considering buying EQB stock here and waiting it out until things go back to "normal" (whatever that means these days)?
EQB may be a worse offender than HCG, they just haven't received the same level of scrutiny. Consider this:

HCG discovered mortgage fraud in the fall 2014. They conducted an internal investigation (Operation Trillium). As a result of this investigation, they cut loose 40-45 mortgage brokers who were originating fraudulent mortgages. They also fired a few staff underwriters who systemically failed to verify incomes. A couple of these fired underwriters landed at EQB. Guess what happened next? HCG originations declined while EQB originations took off. What does that tell you?

BTW, the same people who shorted HCG from $50 down to $6 are also actively shorting EQB. Here's a chart that they pass around on twitter:

Rizwan Qureshi is a senior mortgage underwriter who got fired or pushed out by HCG in the aftermath of the mortgage fraud investigation. Why would EQB hire him?
nisser
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by nisser »

deaddog wrote: 28 Apr 2017 14:21

I bought it. I didn't think to specify the side of the transaction in the "buy" thread.
Hammerer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hammerer »

~60 shares of VTI in the TFSA with my Paypal proceeds.
I can't think of anything particular to buy, other than I'm relatively positive on the US economy vs. Canadian, as well as US$ vs CAD$.