What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Post by schmuck »

schmuck wrote: 28 Jul 2017 12:02
brad911 wrote: 28 Jul 2017 11:17 I haven't bought anything in MONTHS!.....anyone else feel the market is just going sideways?
Yes! Waiting for the Trump bump to hit a bit of a summer thump, and the Canadian market sucks because of our high(er) dollar. The only thing I've been buying on dips is DLR (US currency). I continue to be surprised by the recent strength of our economy, especially with our increasing leftist attitudes and policies. Nor do I understand why Poloz's little rate hike has should have had such an impact. We are after all joined at the hip with the US, and the Fed has been hinting at higher rates for for more than a year. :?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

brad911 wrote: 28 Jul 2017 11:17 I haven't bought anything in MONTHS!.....anyone else feel the market is just going sideways?
Indeed... Scotia iTrade offered me one commision free trade if I did one before Aug 1st. They say it has been awhile since I've been in the market. :lol:

Some interest sensitive stocks have been trending downward and while nothing yet strikes me as worthy, something may come about yet this year. US actions shouldn't have much of an effect on Cdn stocks.

P.S. I could sell you my RioCan holding for $29+ vs the $24 it is now. Now there is a 20% slide for you....
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

I moved some of my "dry powder" into TDB8150 now that the rate is really, really high again.... :roll:
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Bought REI.un, ZCM & VAB several times, 5Y year Oaken Gic, mulling over a bit of EMA, Sold MCD and CU.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
morleymarkle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by morleymarkle »

Purchased a couple hundred shares of Exchange Income Corp (EIF) in my non-registered account.

A small 'fun money' gamble based mostly off recent insider buying and the thought that the sell off due to the shorter's report may be overdone.

We'll see...
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

morleymarkle wrote: 28 Jul 2017 16:04 Purchased a couple hundred shares of Exchange Income Corp (EIF) in my non-registered account.

A small 'fun money' gamble based mostly off recent insider buying and the thought that the sell off due to the shorter's report may be overdone.

We'll see...
The problem is that if the report is right and the dividend is in jeopardy then a dividend cut will lead to another sharp drop.
As you say it is a gamble but what are you risking and how much will you potentially gain.

The report came out on July 5 and caused a bit of a sell off but the stock recovered and was climbing until the earnings report on July 19. The market didn't like the earnings report and sold off sharply.

It has stopped dropping the last few days but the overall trend for the year is down.

Good luck!!
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

morleymarkle wrote: 28 Jul 2017 16:04 Purchased a couple hundred shares of Exchange Income Corp (EIF) in my non-registered account.

We'll see...
do you understand this business? i have looked at it and I have a hard time figuring out their operation.
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

AltaRed wrote: 28 Jul 2017 12:10 P.S. I could sell you my RioCan holding for $29+ vs the $24 it is now. Now there is a 20% slide for you....
Nah I'm ok. I just own the ETF now for my RE exposure. I could sell you my ALA shares, haha
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
morleymarkle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by morleymarkle »

Thegipper wrote: 28 Jul 2017 20:05

We'll see...
do you understand this business? i have looked at it and I have a hard time figuring out their operation.
I most certainly do not - thus the presence of the terms 'fun money', 'gamble', and 'couple of hundred shares' versus words like 'investment', 'research' and ' a several thousand shares'. :D

I became aware of the insider buying and the short story- ran a quick report on SEDI, and what I saw there piqued my interest.

Then did a tour of the usual suspects ( stockchase, stockhouse, cornerofberkshire {no talk there}, a couple of news links on the short situation, etc...) - then wandered around the house talking to myself for a bit, and then finally went ahead and bought a little - more for entertainment value than anything else.

I have a bad habit of sitting still and doing absolutely nothing for achingly long periods of time - but every so often I get 'happy feet' and I feel I need to do something/anything. I've made a few small purchases this year in this vein.

So, if you're looking someone with any kind of insight into EIF aside from the completely superficial, I'm afraid it's not me.

Cheers...

(Edit: fix quotes and typos)
goleafsgo
Contributor
Contributor

Post by goleafsgo »

Loved reading about your 'happy feet'.......thought I was the only one.
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Put in a bid for more SRU.un It's dropping on market reaction to it's deal announced today to purchase most of OneReit.
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

Debating about buying a chunk of USD with the CDN$ just below 80 cents here.
Reasons I'm debating is my fear the US market (and global markets) really are discounting the disruption that President Putz can cause. If Mueller knows what Trump knows (or is close to finding out) you have to think that things will get a lot wackier!
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

Bought CM (CIBC)for the first time. Used funds from the sale of DR (Medical Facilities).

2 yen
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

brad911 wrote: 04 Aug 2017 13:55If Mueller knows what Trump knows (or is close to finding out) you have to think that things will get a lot wackier!
But why wouldn't the dollar go up (or down)?
For the fun of it...Keith
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

I guess I didn't clarify; I'm speculating that there will be a better opportunity to buy USD over the next few months until the next Fed hike.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

brad911 wrote: 05 Aug 2017 11:04 I guess I didn't clarify; I'm speculating that there will be a better opportunity to buy USD over the next few months until the next Fed hike.
I am guessing a bit. Canada is showing a trend toward trade deficits. Government regulation, red tape, carbon taxes and uncertainty is driving foreign investment out of the country. The supply of oil globally will keep oil below $50 a barrel. This should lead to a weaker CDN dollar going forward.It is a mugs game trying to predict the direction of a currency.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Thegipper wrote: 05 Aug 2017 19:34 It is a mugs game trying to predict the direction of a currency.
:thumbsup:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

I don't buy individual U.S. stocks so currency is not a factor for myself. However, I do know that Derek Foster will occasionally switch between mostly U.S. or else Canadian equities based on the currency exchange.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Taggart wrote: 06 Aug 2017 12:05 I don't buy individual U.S. stocks so currency is not a factor for myself. However, I do know that Derek Foster will occasionally switch between mostly U.S. or else Canadian equities based on the currency exchange.
I am 50 % US stocks in US dollars and 50% Canadian stocks. That way I neutralize any currency volatility.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Thegipper wrote: 06 Aug 2017 18:23I am 50 % US stocks in US dollars and 50% Canadian stocks. That way I neutralize any currency volatility.
I don't see how that does what you claim Gip?
For the fun of it...Keith
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

kcowan wrote: 06 Aug 2017 20:11
Thegipper wrote: 06 Aug 2017 18:23I am 50 % US stocks in US dollars and 50% Canadian stocks. That way I neutralize any currency volatility.
I don't see how that does what you claim Gip?
I spend 5 months in the USA and 7 months in Canada. When I am in the US I don't have to concern myself with exchange rates. Besides if one currency goes up the the other goes down. They neutralize one another.
Last edited by Thegipper on 06 Aug 2017 23:53, edited 1 time in total.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Thegipper wrote: 06 Aug 2017 23:51 I spend 5 months in the USA and 7 months in Canada. When I am in the US I don't have to concern myself with exchange rates. Besides if one currency goes up the the other goes down. They neutralize one another.
Not true since your Net Worth* has a base currency. It is either CAD or USD, not both. How and where you spend your currencies is a different matter and in your case, as it is in mine, you are indifferent to 'changes in the USD relative to the CAD' because you have US assets to cover your USD expenses.

* My NW changes every day that there is a change in the loonie relative to the USA but I don't really care since I have US assets to cover my USD exposure. FWIW, a lot of your CAD expenses are directly, or indirectly, related to the USD anyway as I have posted elsewhere. Everyone should have some USD assets unhedged to the CAD to counteract that situation.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

AltaRed wrote: 07 Aug 2017 09:33
Thegipper wrote: 06 Aug 2017 23:51 I spend 5 months in the USA and 7 months in Canada. When I am in the US I don't have to concern myself with exchange rates. Besides if one currency goes up the the other goes down. They neutralize one another.
Not true since your Net Worth* has a base currency. It is either CAD or USD, not both. How and where you spend your currencies is a different matter and in your case, as it is in mine, you are indifferent to 'changes in the USD relative to the CAD' because you have US assets to cover your USD expenses.

* My NW changes every day that there is a change in the loonie relative to the USA but I don't really care since I have US assets to cover my USD exposure. FWIW, a lot of your CAD expenses are directly, or indirectly, related to the USD anyway as I have posted elsewhere. Everyone should have some USD assets unhedged to the CAD to counteract that situation.
All I know is I don't worry about currency fluctuations because of my split and that's what is important to me.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Betting on volatility: bought some TVIX, 2x the volatility index (VIX) at $15.67 this morning. Last time I did thing I was very lucky and made ~40% in a short few days. Risking $4,000 USD on this trade and will likely only hold for a few days regardless whether I gain or lose.
bindexit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bindexit »

Bought a bit of each this year:

Enbridge Inc (TSE:ENB) $52 (new position)
Valener Inc (TSE:VNR) $21 and change (added more)

Re: Holding mostly ETFs but wanted DRIP dividend payers with pipeline exposure and that could be considered "Widows and Orphans" stocks. I am no expert to say if they are or not. I am spending less time on assessing stocks and did little research to see if good value right now. Both choices (mainly Enbridge) can be found in several Canadian dividend ETFs and/or mutual funds so that's good enough for me. Valener has been doing well in my portfolio with consecutive dividend increases since 2015 including one recently. DRIP DRIP DRIP:)