What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Post by schmuck »

Dudsy wrote: 15 Nov 2017 15:38 Also kudos on the call. I don't own but been watching PBH for way too long hoping for a pullback. I thought there would be further weakness and that would be my entry point. :oops:
It's always good fun to get lucky, but it seems to have a way of balancing out.
Here's one that got away on me:
Foot Locker (FL) hit a low of $28.68 Nov 14 (2 pennies above my bid). It hit $41 today. :(
Dudsy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Dudsy »

Started a small position in GUD (Knight Therapeutics) today at $7.80

Just posted elsewhere that I like to focus on high ROE and growing cash flows. This stock has neither! It does, however, have a lot of cash ($0.76 B) and a very patient manager. I suspect the delays in deploying the cash is creating investor angst. I like that they are not rushing into any deals.

There will probably be tax-loss selling on this one, so I may have stepped in a little early.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Just bought Peyto (TSE:PEY) again in my TFSA at $15.07 based on a new 52-wk low and lower oversold reading. This is a trade and I'm hoping for a quick bounce, and using a tight -5% stop.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

You have BIG ones, you surely do.

Added: Lest you misunderstand me, you are definitely being speculative....but at the same time, there will be a bounce once the Arctic grips good portions of North America allowing you to walk away with some profits. Seems to be a pretty good bet.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 26 Oct 2017 14:20 I recently had a Manulife 2018 note called early, so again held my nose and used the proceeds to purchase a Loblaws Corp strip that matures in June 2027, YTM is 3.83%. Our 10 year bond ladder now has an average years to maturity of 4.9 years and a YTM of 3.15%.
More nose holding this morning as cash flows in and trips rebalancing bands specified in our investment policy statement and the 2027 rung on the bond ladder isn't yet full.

In a registered account I deployed available cash to purchase 'best available' high quality (A+ or better) bond, in this case a Province of Manitoba strip that matures in March 2027, YTM of 2.73%.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

AltaRed wrote: 22 Nov 2017 16:00 You have BIG ones, you surely do.

Added: Lest you misunderstand me, you are definitely being speculative....but at the same time, there will be a bounce once the Arctic grips good portions of North America allowing you to walk away with some profits. Seems to be a pretty good bet.
You are right; pure speculative plays. These type of technical trades (based on deeply oversold levels) are fairly small; I only allocate $5,000 to each and hope to swing 5-10% quickly. In the case of Peyto, this is the 3rd time it happens since May and the last two times the RSI got this low (below 25) the stock bounced nicely. Just hoping to swing 5-10% quickly.
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

jay wrote: 23 Nov 2017 10:13
AltaRed wrote: 22 Nov 2017 16:00 You have BIG ones, you surely do.

You are right; pure speculative plays. These type of technical trades (based on deeply oversold levels) are fairly small; I only allocate $5,000 to each and hope to swing 5-10% quickly. In the case of Peyto, this is the 3rd time it happens since May and the last two times the RSI got this low (below 25) the stock bounced nicely. Just hoping to swing 5-10% quickly.
I'm reminded of a piece of advice an old cattle drover told me: I've lost rack of the number of times I've dropped the tailgate for a $5 bill. The moral being that when there are nickels on the pavement; pick them up. Just don't do it in front of a steam roller!
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Bought some BABA. It is the leader in Asia and it's growth is mind boggling. When you compare to Amazon it looks like a much better prospect on a PE and earnings basis.It's been a mistake selling this type of stock.
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

I've finished the fall refresh of my Canadian and US large-cap and small-cap screens.

Current positions are:

Code: Select all

Class        Buy Date Symbol   Name
Canada Large 17/10/02 BNS      Bank of Nova Scotia
                      DOO      BRP
                      CNR      Canadian National Railway
                      H        Hydro One
                      IGM      IGM Financial
                      L        Loblaw Companies
                      MG       Magna International
                      RY       Royal Bank of Canada
                      TD       TD Bank
                      WJA      WestJet Airlines

17/04/03 CP       Canadian Pacific Railway
                      CTC.A    Canadian Tire
                      DOL      Dollarama
                      GIL      Gildan Activewear
                      GWO      Great-West Lifeco
                      MFI      Maple Leaf Foods
                      PWF      Power Financial
                      T        TELUS
                      TRI      Thomson Reuters
                      WFT      West Fraser Timber

Canada Small 17/11/06 GBT      BMTC Group
                      CGY      Calian Group
                      CFX      Canfor Pulp Products
                      CERV     Cervus Equipment
                      CGO      Cogeco
                      EQB      Equitable Group
                      IFP      Interfor
                      MRE      Martinrea International
                      RME      Rocky Mountain Dealerships
                      WEF      Western Forest Products

US Large     17/11/20 ALLY     Ally Financial
                      C        Citigroup
                      CAG      ConAgra Foods
                      DFS-N    Discover Financial Services
                      FITB     Fifth Third Bancorp
                      GM       General Motors
                      KSS      Kohl's
                      MCK      McKesson
                      PHM      PulteGroup Inc
                      WU       Western Union

17/05/22 AMP      Ameriprise Financial
                      CBS      CBS
                      GLW      Corning
                      HIG      Hartford Financial
                      LMT      Lockheed Martin
                      MSI      Motorola Solutions
                      NTAP     NetApp
                      VLO      Valero Energy
                      WYN      Wyndham Worldwide
                      YUM      YUM! Brands

US Small     17/11/13 ARCB     ArcBest
                      CFFI     C&F Financial
                      CTRN     Citi Trends
                      CMTL     Comtech Telecommunications
                      TCS      Container Store Group
                      EBF      Ennis
                      GCI      Gannett
                      IHC      Independence Holding
                      KELYA    Kelly Services
                      KE       Kimball Electronics
                      PDLI     PDL BioPharma
                      PERY     Perry Ellis International
                      RCKY     Rocky Brands
                      SCHN     Schnitzer Steel Industries
                      TRK      Speedway Motorsports
                      STRT     Strattec Security
                      TLRD     Tailored Brands
                      TOWR     Tower International
                      TG       Tredegar
                      TRNC     tronc
Year to date, both Canadian screens are doing very well, probably because they don't have much oil and gas exposure. The US large-cap screen is about 1.5% below the benchmark. The US small-cap screen is doing poorly this year.

I have two spreadsheets: Screen Trades lists the trades and returns since I started. Screen to Date shows the price change for current positions.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

My Canadian mixture is up 10.2 % and my USA is up 18%. My better stocks have been Photon Controls, Spinmaster, Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Google, Stryker and United Health. Every where I look tech is driving the agenda and the future so I have a strong concentration in that area. I have been taking small positions in Salesforce, Nvidia and Baba. Did make a nice profit of Shopify. Should have kept it.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

This is what happened in the late '90s run up to the dotcom crash, except with a different cast of characters. It will happen again. Throwing money at companies that have minimal 9or no) earnings and are burning through cash are primed for failure. Tesla right now is a classic example ripe for flameout. If it continues its cash burn in 2018, it could potentially be insolvent and broken up before the end of this decade.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

AltaRed wrote: 26 Nov 2017 11:27 This is what happened in the late '90s run up to the dotcom crash, except with a different cast of characters. It will happen again. Throwing money at companies that have minimal 9or no) earnings and are burning through cash are primed for failure. Tesla right now is a classic example ripe for flameout. If it continues its cash burn in 2018, it could potentially be insolvent and broken up before the end of this decade.
I understand and avoid Tesla. Apple ,Facebook, Google and Microsoft don't fit that definition. They have strong revenues, strong earnings , great margins, outstanding growth. Some even trade with a PE in the teens. Amazon is the exception. They don't show strong earnings because they keep ploughing capital into their very aggressive growth plans. They dominate the sectors they are into. Just walk through most shopping mauls and one can see the Amazon impact. I don't see Amazon going anywhere except up.Bezos is the merchandizer of all time . Tesla is a snow job in my opinion so I don't invest in it.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Which is why I focused on earnings (and I should have mentioned generation of free cash flow). I won't buy anything that doesn't have increasing EPS, and solid FCF/share (other than perhaps a 1-2 year hiccup in EPS while it absorbs a major investment). I obviously own all of these in my VTI holding.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Started a position A&W Revenue Royalties Income Fund (TSE:AW.UN) this morning at $32.85. Been stalking it for a while and I always missed it by a few pennies each time it dropped to these levels. Although their growth seems to have stalled - at least for the time being - I am happy to own such a predictable business yielding me almost 5%. We eat there on average once a month, and we probably spend $300 a year in total. The dividends should cover that and then some :D. I am prepared to add if it drops below $30/share.
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

Added some more to Visa and Mastercard when it dipped below 5% today.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Enbridge (Symbol-ENB)..are we getting close to a buy???

Post by jay »

Started a new position in SmartCentres Real Estate Investment Trust (TSE:SRU.UN), replacing BEI.UN that I just sold yesterday. I initiated this position in my TFSA which is where I intend to keep my REITs going forward. Paid $28.95/share, yielding just above 6%.

Fixed: Administrator
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

jay wrote: 30 Nov 2017 13:08 Started a new position in SmartCentres Real Estate Investment Trust (TSE:SRU.UN), replacing BEI.UN that I just sold yesterday. I initiated this position in my TFSA which is where I intend to keep my REITs going forward. Paid $28.95/share, yielding just above 6%.
Wrong thread....
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

AltaRed wrote: 30 Nov 2017 13:13
jay wrote: 30 Nov 2017 13:08 Started a new position in SmartCentres Real Estate Investment Trust (TSE:SRU.UN), replacing BEI.UN that I just sold yesterday. I initiated this position in my TFSA which is where I intend to keep my REITs going forward. Paid $28.95/share, yielding just above 6%.
Wrong thread....
Thanks for fixing it Alta :)
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Started a position in Gain Capital Holdings Inc, NYSE:GCAP, the online trading company behind forex.com and City Index. I am mainly interested in it as a way to ride the bitcoin wave and it happens to have decent fundamentals. Paid $8.05/share
nisser
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by nisser »

Bought some whitecap. Oil has plateud over the last 6 months and this stock has done nothing. It would do ok at 50$+. I don't plan on keeping it, but it's just a short-term trade

Also bought some CELG (US). It sold off as one of its Crohns prospects failed a phase 3 trial. It's still increasing its revenue from its other blockbuster drugs, has a deep pipeline and I think this is short-lived. This is also likely a short-term trade
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

Bought a small, tracking position in Facebook around $175 a couple days ago.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

SkaSka wrote: 07 Dec 2017 16:16 Bought a small, tracking position in Facebook around $175 a couple days ago.
I've heard of a full position, and a half position, but what is a "tracking position"?
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

My guess would be $1k to $2k which was mine back in the day...10 shares would do.
For the fun of it...Keith
Profit not Prophet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Profit not Prophet »

I also find I don't really pay full attention without some skin in the game. 100 or nothing usually. Googles and such can be the exception :)
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

Arby wrote: 08 Dec 2017 11:11
SkaSka wrote: 07 Dec 2017 16:16 Bought a small, tracking position in Facebook around $175 a couple days ago.
I've heard of a full position, and a half position, but what is a "tracking position"?
For me, like a ~$1000-$2000 position that sits in the portfolio to remind me to think about the company more, read some more on the company, see what the price is doing, before deciding on whether to make it a bigger and more permanent position in the portfolio.