What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
thedude99
Contributor
Contributor

Re: What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2017)

Post by thedude99 »

jay wrote: 20 Oct 2017 10:32 Added to my existing positions in Enbridge Income Fund Holdings Inc (TSE:ENF) at $29.37 and Enbridge (TSE:ENB) at $49.5. Not sure what the drop this morning is all about, esp. ENF, but I usually take any opportunity to add to a core holding trading at or close to 52-week lows. Both look oversold to me. I want to add to Transcanada (TSE:TRP) as well and I a surprised it is holding much better than ENB. My target price is low 50's.

In my TFSA, I caught Ritchie Bros. Auctioneers Inc (TSE:RBA) at $34.87 for a trade, yet again. It is back to is 52-week lows. Last time it reached these lows it bounced quickly.
Drop in ENF today due to drop in credit rating by Moody's I believe. It was a very minor downgrade in rating. Don't own ENF but hold ENB and I think it's getting close to BACK UP THE TRUCK levels
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Enbridge and its subsidiaries have been playing on the edge for some time at the BBB+ level. Not very impressed but it does result in a bit of extra juice on their bond yields (just bought one a few weeks back).
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
shmenge
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shmenge »

350 sh of DR @ $14.14
If you want to buy stocks why would you want them to rise in price? - Warren Buffett
The Stock Market Speculator
newin96
Contributor
Contributor

Post by newin96 »

newin96 wrote: 11 Sep 2017 15:54 Probably going to add to my HCP position (currently underweighted) with proceeds from my ABBV trimming (over weighted).
In my registered account.
Well that's worked out well so far :oops: ...
ABBV is up another 10% and HCP is down 10% since balancing... good thing this is a marathon not a sprint.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

A minor update. In the "What did you sell" topic,
Peculiar_Investor wrote: 20 Oct 2017 17:08 Proceeds will be invested in VTI to maintain US equity allocation.
Due to recent market movements, our International equity allocation was the most out of line from target range of our investment policy statement, and therefore the proceeds were invested in VEA USD 43.91 this morning.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Bought Eldorado Gold (TSE:ELD) in my TFSA for a trade at $1.63. Stock recently plunged due to lower guidance and is trading at 52-week lows, is cheap based on p/b, and technically very oversold. This is one of the few stocks I watch with a market cap above one billion that is trading below 2$. Hoping for a bounce soon, tight stop set.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

AltaRed wrote: 20 Oct 2017 21:42 Enbridge and its subsidiaries have been playing on the edge for some time at the BBB+ level. Not very impressed but it does result in a bit of extra juice on their bond yields (just bought one a few weeks back).
@Alta, what bond did you buy? I have never bought individual bonds before but I have got my eye on the 3.20% 08JUN27 one with a YTM of ~3.5%.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

I bought the 3.94% ENB bond maturing Jun 30, 2023, YTM 3.03% to fit in my 6-7 year ladder approach in my RRSP. I don't go out to a 10 year ladder....yet.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

I recently had a Manulife 2018 note called early, so again held my nose and used the proceeds to purchase a Loblaws Corp strip that matures in June 2027, YTM is 3.83%. Our 10 year bond ladder now has an average years to maturity of 4.9 years and a YTM of 3.15%.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

And I recently purchased the Apr 2025 BCE (A low) strip with YTM of 3.08% to tack onto our RRSP bond ladder. I've been purposefully avoiding direct ownership of BBB or lower credits
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
big easy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by big easy »

scomac wrote: 26 Oct 2017 14:36 And I recently purchased the Apr 2025 BCE (A low) strip with YTM of 3.08% to tack onto our RRSP bond ladder. I've been purposefully avoiding direct ownership of BBB or lower credits
What's your opinion on CBH. Mostly A or AA , 10 year corporate bond ladder with a average YTM around 2.7% (less 0.3% MER). I bought this when gov cda bonds went into negative real yields.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

big easy wrote: 26 Oct 2017 16:11
scomac wrote: 26 Oct 2017 14:36 And I recently purchased the Apr 2025 BCE (A low) strip with YTM of 3.08% to tack onto our RRSP bond ladder. I've been purposefully avoiding direct ownership of BBB or lower credits
What's your opinion on CBH. Mostly A or AA , 10 year corporate bond ladder with a average YTM around 2.7% (less 0.3% MER). I bought this when gov cda bonds went into negative real yields.
I've got a whole whack of it in my taxable account. I bought that to fill my FI component when I exited most of my preferred share holdings.

I own three bond ETFs now mostly for simplicity. I have CBH and SHYG in my taxable account to cover investment grade corporate and high yield. I have initiated a position in ZRR in my RRSP, but that has been a bit of a disappointment in the two years that I've owned it. I thought about adding to it recently, but then opted for a nominal strip instead as the real yield on the underlying was <0% when factoring in expenses.
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
westcoastfella
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westcoastfella »

Added to existing position in Norfolk Southern (NSC) the other day after a very good quarterly earnings report, that resulted in a 4% drop on the day :?: Got some more shares, and watched it climb back to where it was before the earnings report today.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

jay wrote: 26 Oct 2017 11:53 Bought Eldorado Gold (TSE:ELD) in my TFSA for a trade at $1.63. Stock recently plunged due to lower guidance and is trading at 52-week lows, is cheap based on p/b, and technically very oversold. This is one of the few stocks I watch with a market cap above one billion that is trading below 2$. Hoping for a bounce soon, tight stop set.
More buys for the same reason this morning: Peyto (TSE:PEY) at $16.87 and Arc Resources (TSE:ARX) at $15.13. Both are trading at 52-week lows and technically oversold, and with decent fundamentals. Using tight (-5%) stops. Hoping to catch a quick bounce of 7-10%. Both are in my TFSA.
big easy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by big easy »

scomac wrote: 26 Oct 2017 22:26
big easy wrote: 26 Oct 2017 16:11
I've got a whole whack of it in my taxable account. I bought that to fill my FI component when I exited most of my preferred share holdings.

I own three bond ETFs now mostly for simplicity. I have CBH and SHYG in my taxable account to cover investment grade corporate and high yield. I have initiated a position in ZRR in my RRSP, but that has been a bit of a disappointment in the two years that I've owned it. I thought about adding to it recently, but then opted for a nominal strip instead as the real yield on the underlying was <0% when factoring in expenses.
Thanks Scomac, anything single A and above would seem very safe and the average duration is relatively low around 4.5, so interest rate risk is muted also.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

Added to my RIF position in ENF. 6.9% div is just too good to pass up. Already made 24.6% on this stock in capital gains (although not relevant in RIF) so I'm ok if it does come down a bit. Still well ahead. In the meantime it should be good steady income.
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

Bought some Gilead Sciences at an average price of $78.

Bought some Molson-Coors at an average price of $81.

Bought a small position in Baidu at $241.
beachcomber
Contributor
Contributor

Post by beachcomber »

After over 3 weeks of chasing VXC with lowball bids through Qtrade I finally managed to acquire 500 at $35.24. The damn etf never had a major hiccup. I now have VGG, VFV and VXC in the Vanguard section of my portfolio. No more purchases until a major correction ;-)
shmenge
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shmenge »

1000 sh of CJ.t
10% yield (ouch!)
near 52 week lows, couldn't resist
If you want to buy stocks why would you want them to rise in price? - Warren Buffett
slim
Contributor
Contributor

Post by slim »

I've been doing a lot of driving, filling the tank $$
Lots of other cars/trucks on the road, oil prices have been trending up. I haven't seen a lot of electric car recharging stations.
1000 shares of suncor today.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Added to my tech holdings with small positions with Salesforce and Nvidia. Tech seems to be there with the growth and the numbers.Nvdia seems to be the leader in smart technology. I keep looking for solid boring stocks with solid metric, low valuation and solid growth prospects and I haven't been to successful. The tech stocks like Amazon, Google and Facebook have been the clear leaders in my portfolio. I am hoping Nvidia does likewise.
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

Bought Emera yesterday at $48.92. With Algonquin, this brings me to where I want to be for electrical utilities.
And brings me back to about 5% cash.
So from here on I'll sit back and enjoy (or otherwise!) the ride.
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
shellybear
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shellybear »

Thinking on buying some RNW.to, (Transalta Renewables) again. Has this one for about a year , and sold near the top . I noted the latest pullback just ahead of divvy date and really nothing negative i can see causing it. I am heavily into financial stocks, but i think a pullback likely in the cards for that sector, and maybe time to diversify into some utilities.
Anybody holding this name or interested in the sector?
shmenge
Contributor
Contributor

Post by shmenge »

shellybear wrote: 28 Oct 2017 14:26 Thinking on buying some RNW.to, (Transalta Renewables) again. Anybody holding this name or interested in the sector?
Been on my watchlist for awhile now and I like the sector and the yield for income. Have not delved any further into the company specifics. I do like to buy stocks in November coinciding with tax loss selling. This is a prime buy target for me. Good luck :thumbsup:
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

shellybear wrote: 28 Oct 2017 14:26 Thinking on buying some RNW.to, (Transalta Renewables) again. Has this one for about a year , and sold near the top . I noted the latest pullback just ahead of divvy date and really nothing negative i can see causing it. I am heavily into financial stocks, but i think a pullback likely in the cards for that sector, and maybe time to diversify into some utilities.
Anybody holding this name or interested in the sector?
I've been slowly building a position over the past 8 months when the stock trades on some weakness. I agree that you might see an opportunity here in the next 8 weeks to start/add to a position. I'm owning it as a non-core holding to add some diversified income to the portfolio.
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals