2017 Hedge Fund Contest

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

2017 Hedge Fund Contest

Post by Spudd »

I've agreed to take this over for Norbert this year. I have no shame so I have plagiarized his rules.

Complete set of rules for 2017
  • Pick a fancy name for your hedge fund. Show some creativity. A panel of judges will choose the best. Winner of the name contest deemed to purchase long positions at 1% discount and sell short positions at 1% premium!
  • Before 9:30 am EST on 3 Jan 2017, in this thread, pick up to three stocks to go long and up to three to short. Equal dollar amounts are placed on each position, long or short.
  • Stock only. No bonds, no options, no funds.
  • No trades during the year, except that you can elect at any time during normal exchange business hours to "freeze" a price for any individual position at that day's closing price, i.e. liquidate any position. (Each position carries this option; you can choose to freeze different positions on different days.)
  • Other than that, you're stuck with what you choose for the year.
  • If a stock is taken out in a merger or a bankruptcy during 2016, I will do my best to do the right thing. An all cash offer will result in a freeze at the takeout price. An all stock offer will result in the conversion of the position to the acquiring company's shares. Mixed cash and stock offers, you'll just have to trust me to saw things off fairly.
  • The universe from which to choose is either the S&P/TSX or the Russell 3000. No mix and match between the two groups, no exceptions. The tracker is too dumb to adjust for exchange rate fluctuations.
  • Starting prices are the 3 Jan 2017 close, ending prices will be the 29 Dec 2017 close. (Adjustments may be made to either in case of crazy spreads, at my sole discretion.)
  • Dividends won't count because ...
  • It's all automated to make it easy.
Post your picks in this thread before 9:30 am EST Tuesday Jan 3. If you pick ineligible shares and it's not caught before the deadline, the portfolio is disqualified.
- If you're picking US stocks, your picks must be in the Russell 3000 Index (26 June 2016 constituents list)
- If picking Canadian, go to this page, open the Constituents block, hit the "Download Data into CSV" link, and pick from what's listed in that file.
Last edited by Spudd on 31 Dec 2016 16:21, edited 4 times in total.
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: 2017 Hedge Fund Contest

Post by LadyGeek »

^^^ The second bullet should be:
  • Before 9:30 am EST on 3 Jan 2017, in this thread, pick up to three stocks to go long and up to three to short. Equal dollar amounts are placed on each position, long or short.
To copy links, quote the post, then copy-n-paste the content back into your post. Here's what I think you mean, modified to work with the latest Russell 3000 info.
==========================
Post your picks in this thread before 9:30 am EST Tuesday Jan 3. If you pick ineligible shares and it's not caught before the deadline, the portfolio is disqualified.

- If you're picking US stocks, your picks must be in the Russell 3000 Index (26 June 2016 constituents list)

- If picking Canadian, go to this page, open the Constituents block, hit the "Download Data into CSV" link, and pick from what's listed in that file.

==========================
As for selecting the best fund name, you can decide to give a 1% premium to the best name as determined by you, or, just not give any premiums for the best name.

The "esteemed panel of judges" was Norbert's way of stating that he's the judge, jury, and executioner for the contest. All decisions where by him and were final. You can decide to judge this contest on your own, or ask for help from the members when you get stuck.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

Thanks LadyGeek! Clearly I needed a little more proof-reading. :)

For the names, I will see if anything leaps out at me, otherwise I'll give no premium.
LadyGeek
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by LadyGeek »

We both need a little more proof-reading: Complete set of rules for 2016 should be 2017 :)

Fund Name: Ladies First
Short: AKG

Placing it all on Asanko Gold Inc. to have a wild ride this year.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
jonforest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jonforest »

Name: "Beagles get hit by trucks"

Long: TSE: CRX (Concordia), P (Primero), RMP (RMP Energy)

Short: TSE: TECK.B (Teck), TCW (Trican Well), CBL (Calidus)
poedin
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by poedin »

Short'n It Three Down

All Short TSX:
CCO
CJR.B
TECK.B
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Howling dog fund
Yeah
gcg-t
eca-t
zzz-t

Woof
vrz-t
dh-t
bb-t
For the fun of it...Keith
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

Keith, do you mean VRX when you say VRZ?
jsbarnby
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jsbarnby »

I somehow missed this after participating the last 3 years. Any way you could make room for one more?
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

Yes, let's leave it open till end of day today.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

FP Bulletproof :lol:

Long: Shopify Inc. (SHOP/TSX), Bank of Montreal (BMO/TSX) and StorageVault Canada Inc. (SVI/TSX)
Short: None

Source: The bulletproof portfolio: Five stocks that should fare well no matter what 2017 has in store | Financial Post
I thought of randomly picking one of FP's 4 TSX stocks as the short, but my dart board is currently in storage and the crystal ball is still at the shop getting repaired, yet again.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Spudd wrote:Keith, do you mean VRX when you say VRZ?
Yes it was early morning (Valeant)!
For the fun of it...Keith
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

Looks like a few more players are needed so I will ante up.

ROADKILL

Long: CFP-T, DH-T, MRE-T

Short: ERF-T
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

I'm going to enter as well, unless there are objections since I'm administering. But the spreadsheet is transparent so it should be easy to catch me if I were to cheat, plus there are no prizes. :geek:

The Monkey's Dartboard Fund
Long:
NASDAQ: ITEK, AGRX, MDT
Short:
TSE: TS.B, NASDAQ:SIRI
Last edited by Spudd on 03 Jan 2017 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

Spudd wrote:I'm going to enter as well, unless there are objections since I'm administering. But the spreadsheet is transparent so it should be easy to catch me if I were to cheat, plus there are no prizes. :geek:

Long:
NASDAQ: ITEK, AGRX, AEMD
Short:
TSE: TS.B, NASDAQ:SIRI, MKND
You are violating one of Norbert's your own rules. :D

"The universe from which to choose is either the S&P/TSX or the Russell 3000. No mix and match between the two groups, no exceptions. The tracker is too dumb to adjust for exchange rate fluctuations."
DenisD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by DenisD »

No mixing Canadian and US stocks, Spudd. :)

I see ig17 beat me to it.
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

LOL, whoops. And I had a couple that were not on the Russell 3000, I realized when I started checking and putting them in the sheet.

Let's try that again:

Long:
NASDAQ: ITEK, AGRX, MDT
Short:
NASDAQ:SIRI
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

kcowan wrote:Howling dog fund
Yeah
gcg-t
eca-t
zzz-t

Woof
vrz-t
dh-t
bb-t
GCG is not a member of S&P/TSX Composite, so it's against the rules.

It would be easier to just set a minimum market cap (e.g. 100M) and forget about index membership.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:FP Bulletproof :lol:

Long: Shopify Inc. (SHOP/TSX), Bank of Montreal (BMO/TSX) and StorageVault Canada Inc. (SVI/TSX)

Source: The bulletproof portfolio: Five stocks that should fare well no matter what 2017 has in store | Financial Post
I thought of randomly picking one of FP's 4 TSX stocks as the short, but my dart board is currently in storage and the crystal ball is still at the shop getting repaired, yet again.
SHOP and SVI are not in the Composite index.
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

Thanks for fact-checking, ig!

I'll just remove those stocks from your funds until you nominate replacements, since those were the rules as written. I agree with ig that a straight market cap cutoff would be easier for next year. Or just allow anything that Google Finance is able to pick up!
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

jonforest wrote:Name: "Beagles get hit by trucks"

I couldn't find any of your longs in the index, and of the shorts, only TECK was there. Please re-pick.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

ig17 wrote:
Peculiar_Investor wrote:FP Bulletproof :lol:

SHOP and SVI are not in the Composite index.
:oops: Thanks for the fact/rules check.

Guess my longs will have to be CGI Group Inc. (GIB.A/TSX) and Bank of Montreal (BMO/TSX)
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

The link to the standings is here:

Note that today, Jan 3, everything is #REF because we don't have the closing dates for today yet.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

Name: January Effect Fund

Long:

NASDAQ:FSLR (First Solar)
NYSE:FIT (Fitbit)
NASDAQ:FTR (Frontier Communications)

Short:

NASDAQ:NVDA (NVIDIA)
jonforest
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jonforest »

Spudd wrote:
jonforest wrote:Name: "Beagles get hit by trucks"

I couldn't find any of your longs in the index, and of the shorts, only TECK was there. Please re-pick.
Sorry, I should have read the rules.

New name: A drunken walk down wall-street

Long
Advantage Oil & Gas Ltd. AAV
Aecon Group Inc. ARE
Agnico Eagle Mines Limited AEM
Short
Winpak Ltd. WPK
WSP Global Inc. WSP
Yamana Gold Inc. YRI