Marijuana Legalization [Investment opportunities]

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
found
Newcomer
Newcomer

Marijuana Legalization [Investment opportunities]

Post by found »

A little shocked to see no discussion on the legalization of recreational marijuana. There's plenty of investment opportunity as I understand it, a whole new industry.

Is no one here following weed stocks? CGC, APH, etc.
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 19 Dec 2016 17:31, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added to Subject as OP was looking at the investment opportunities
Chuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Marijuana Legalization

Post by Chuck »

I mentioned it in one of the other threads. On this note, California voted to legalize personal use mj during the election. That's a populous state (and therefore large market).
We are very excited that citizens of California voted to end the failed policy of marijuana prohibition," said Nate Bradley, executive director of the California Cannabis Industry Assn. "Proposition 64 will allow California to take its rightful place as the center of cannabis innovation, research and development.
optionable68
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by optionable68 »

Trudeau decides its ok for 18 year olds to smoke pot
3-time winner of FWF Annual Stock Market Predictions contest
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

I would expect marijuana stocks to be overbought at this point. This new opportunity has generated lots of attention and enthusiasm, and I think that a lot of people have thought this to be an opportunity. Plus it's always fun to invest in a product you consume, so that a (very small) part of your expenditure comes back to you.

There are also risks that have not yet been sufficiently discussed, in my opinion. I would not be surprised if it turned out that marijuana smoke, like tobacco smoke, is a contributor to lung cancer. But I'm no doctor...

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
izzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by izzy »

ghariton wrote:
There are also risks that have not yet been sufficiently discussed, in my opinion. I would not be surprised if it turned out that marijuana smoke, like tobacco smoke, is a contributor to lung cancer. But I'm no doctor...

George
There seem to have been a few papers suggesting it might also restrict blood flow to the brain
(what a surprise!)
Regardless,for ethical reasons I will not be participating,but then I would not buy stocks in tobacco or alcohol either although I must admit I did indulge in my youth!
"I disagree strongly with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
Chuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Chuck »

ghariton wrote:There are also risks that have not yet been sufficiently discussed, in my opinion. I would not be surprised if it turned out that marijuana smoke, like tobacco smoke, is a contributor to lung cancer. But I'm no doctor...

George
Probably true, although I think I have read pot smoke is less harmful than commercial tobacco smoke. On this issue, it seems that when you go legal, a lot of edible products appear on the market (this has lead to packaging concerns/regulations). Your local street dealer is unlikely to bake brownies for you. Options for the non smoker/cancer concerned. Another argument in favor of legalization?
Hammerer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hammerer »

Vapourizers are increasingly popular. No combustion = no combustion byproducts.

Also, by not burning your purchase in the consumption process, you use less to get the same effect.

Anywho, my opinion is that the government isn't so much creating marijuana access (illicit marijuana abounds), it's replacing an illicit, uncontrolled black-market with a legal one that will put the former out-of-business.

Of course, if substance XYZ were considered to be harmful, the government would act overnight to criminalize it and remove right of access. If the government finds that a substance is overcriminalized, and even makes it a component of its election platform, every committee/consultative process must be exhausted before making the slightest change to law.
kombat
Contributor
Contributor

Post by kombat »

izzy wrote:Regardless,for ethical reasons I will not be participating
What do ethics have to do with smoking marijuana? How can consuming a plant be considered "unethical?"
izzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by izzy »

kombat wrote:
izzy wrote:Regardless,for ethical reasons I will not be participating
What do ethics have to do with smoking marijuana? How can consuming a plant be considered "unethical?"
I was referring to owning stocks not consuming As a doctor holding stocks in alcohol or gambling is borderline unethical and logically the same would apply to marijuana, at my age I don't have the brain cells to spare to make consuming advisable for me either :wink:
"I disagree strongly with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

izzy wrote:
I was referring to owning stocks not consuming As a doctor holding stocks in alcohol or gambling is borderline unethical and logically the same would apply to marijuana, at my age I don't have the brain cells to spare to make consuming advisable for me either :wink:
You might change your mind after a couple of hits. :wink:
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
izzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by izzy »

No thanks! any risk of accelerating senility is not a risk I want to take :)
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

izzy wrote:No thanks! any risk of accelerating senility is not a risk I want to take :)
Did you observe some signs of that from some of the vets manning the front line at the Standing Rock debacle? :wink:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
izzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by izzy »

AltaRed wrote:
izzy wrote:No thanks! any risk of accelerating senility is not a risk I want to take :)
Did you observe some signs of that from some of the vets manning the front line at the Standing Rock debacle? :wink:
"What is a leppo?"-Prime example of someone who got too much exposure :D
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

A stock that might prosper from legalization:
Cannabix Technologies Inc. (CSE: BLO, US OTC: BLOZF, Frankfurt: 8CT:FRA) is a Vancouver, B.C. based technology company.
http://www.cannabixtechnologies.com/
bcjmmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bcjmmac »

Haven't read all the report, but one recommendation that jumped out at is the proposal to have higher taxes on higher quality pot. Wouldn't that encourage people to consume/smoke greater quantities of lower quality pot IOT get the same buzz? Greater consumption = greater side effects from smoking thereby increasing health degradation & greater cost to Medicare.
Law of unintended consequences?
Chuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Chuck »

bcjmmac wrote:Haven't read all the report, but one recommendation that jumped out at is the proposal to have higher taxes on higher quality pot. Wouldn't that encourage people to consume/smoke greater quantities of lower quality pot IOT get the same buzz? Greater consumption = greater side effects from smoking thereby increasing health degradation & greater cost to Medicare.
Law of unintended consequences?
I don't think so. The gist of this is to make sure it's 'equal tax per unit of buzz'. So there would be no point in smoking 10 units of low grade (and low tax) pot if it cost you the same in taxes as one unit of high grade pot.

It works similar with alcohol. Taxes on one 12oz bottle of beer are much lower than taxes on 12oz of hard liquor. But you pay about that same if you drink enough 12oz beers to get you as intoxicated as 12oz of hard liquor.
bcjmmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bcjmmac »

Hadn't looked at the tax issue in that way. Most production, these days, seems to be via indoor hydroponic grow ops so production costs would be relatively stable across a range of THC concentrations. Concentrated products (I,e, oils, hashish) would have higher production costs & possibly, if allowed, outdoor large scale production would have a different cost structure,
I guess time will tell
Spidey
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spidey »

I'm generally kind of neutral on the marijuana issue but I'm kind of surprised that in this age when we're imposing all types of restrictions on tobacco that we are hearing almost nothing regarding negative health consequences of introducing another product to smoke.
If life seems jolly rotten, then there's something you've forgotten -- and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. - Eric Idle
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Spidey wrote:I'm generally kind of neutral on the marijuana issue but I'm kind of surprised that in this age when we're imposing all types of restrictions on tobacco that we are hearing almost nothing regarding negative health consequences of introducing another product to smoke.
+1!
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
izzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by izzy »

adrian2 wrote:
Spidey wrote:I'm generally kind of neutral on the marijuana issue but I'm kind of surprised that in this age when we're imposing all types of restrictions on tobacco that we are hearing almost nothing regarding negative health consequences of introducing another product to smoke.
+1!
People hear what they want to hear and ignore "the inconvenient truth"
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

I have a granddaughter in a year long intense drug treatment centre. The thing that makes me mad is the fact that pot is an extremely dangerous drug for teens. Check the research .No doubt it is terrible thing for young people.The government is out to lunch on this aspect.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Maybe, but do you want young poeple in particular to continue to access 'unregulated unmonitored black market pot' off the streets instead? Pot use in Canada is not going away no matter how much one may wish it to be. Think about the devastating effects of Prohibition. Make the best of a mostly bad situation. I thus support what the gov't is doing.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
izzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by izzy »

Thegipper wrote:The government is out to lunch on this aspect.
That's because they can only see dollar signs,they likely will use any expressed health concerns as an excuse to make the sale of such products a government monopoly like like they did with lotteries and alcohol!
In Manitoba we have specials on alcohol products at this time of year to further encourage sales at exclusively government run liquor stores!
Do we really want government to be the local drug pusher as well?
Chuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Chuck »

I'm fine with it. This is really about a bigger philosophical issue regarding how much of a nanny state you want. People are going to do what they are going to do for the most part. Once again, I suggest legalization and regulation is a better way to control age related usage than black market. I doubt street dealers do age checks.

Less and less people are smoking now, despite that fact that it is legal. So people can learn to avoid what's bad for them. The way I see it, marijuana is in widespread use already, and I don't really think legalizing it will result in that much of an increase in usage. The tax revenue is a plus, not to mention all the savings on legal enforcement that could probably be spent better elsewhere.
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

I'm fine with legalizing it for adults, but its sale to or for minors should be prohibited, just as it is for tobacco and alcohol. I know that minors will get around the restriction -- I did from the age of 14 -- but making it inconvenient will greatly reduce the volume.

Coincidently I would raise the legal age for all three -- tobacco, marijuana and especially alcohol -- to 21. Anecdotally, alcohol is a terrible scourge on our campuses.

George
The juice is worth the squeeze