What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2016)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2016)

Post by JaydoubleU »

I'd choose one utility and either PWF or POW.

Utilities have been weak due rising rates, and the fear that policy-induced inflation could force them to rise more.

PWF or POW, OTOH, should benefit by rising rates, thus offsetting any decline in your utility.

As to which utility, take your pick: AQN (more renewable production), EMA (slightly lower yield, just made a huge acquisition). FTS is the largest Canadian utility by market cap. Given that it's off 9.3% in the last month, while AQN has come back 4.6% in the last 5 days, I'd be inclined to go with FTS.

As for PWF/POW, this has been a long debate: they hold many of the same assets, although POW has some media and private equity. PWF has a slightly higher yield, but POW is cheaper on a discount to BV basis. Take your pick. Both are conservatively managed and should deliver modest growth (but more so if rates really rise faster than expected).
retireat50
Contributor
Contributor

Post by retireat50 »

Wing wrote:
scomac wrote:
Wing wrote:FTS, PWF, AQN, EMA for candidates in my dividend portfolio, what do you think? Any other better alternatives?
They're all fine, but a little more diversification would be advised depending upon what else is in the portfolio. I would be awfully leary of buying three electric utilities as part of a small basket.
Do you mind to suggest some? Mainly for dividends. I'm new to Canada and still on a learning curve regarding the Canadian markets. Thank you!
Careful about chasing yield but i think long term every Canadian should own some of the banks. BMO has had the worst YTD performance and usually buying the worst of the bunch pays off in the next couple years. With rising interest rates financials and life insurance companies should do well.

In the US, any of UTX, McDonalds, Walmart, JNJ, Proctor & Gamble and Altria would be OK buys on a 10%+ pullback - assuming you are holding on for life.
Londoncalling
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Londoncalling »

Seeing as AQN has rebounded and OPEC cut oil production I have decided to put in an order for a 1/2 position in Unilever PLC (ADR)UL:NYSE. I don't have enough consumer staples exposure and Unilever is an international company. I know there is BREXIT risk but I expect there to be increased sales in India and China in the next decade. Cheers!
Last edited by Londoncalling on 02 Dec 2016 15:26, edited 1 time in total.
Londoncalling
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Londoncalling »

My order got filled yesterday morning @ 39.02. May do some more shopping before the year end.

Cheers
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Took a position in XAD -N. It is a ETF that targets the defence industry. With the Trump administration it should be a bull market for this sector.
AnonymouslyInvesting
Contributor
Contributor

Post by AnonymouslyInvesting »

Good call, gripper...that sector has certainly shot up since the election, but hopefully there is still upside.

I'm buying more cyclical's:

Energy on dips: VET, CNQ - OPEC will likely cut tomorrow, although almost every nation is likely to cheat on their limits.

Infrastructure: WSP - no construction risk and good US exposure.

Tech: GIB'A - great trend and continues to put up strong numbers.

Industrials: MDA - breaking into the US, softness next year already is priced in, long-term trends in tech...we are just plainly going to need more satellites.

SJ - great growth company with defensive attributes that's taking a pause this year.

Financials: TCN - planning on doubling its book value in the next 5 years and only targets projects with 15-20%+ IRR
AD - contrarian play, had a lot of trouble with two investments, but that is priced in. Any good news should spike the stock and higher interest rates are good for it.

Consumer Discretionary: CTC'A - cheapest retail operation in North America, management has turned more investor friendly, doing all the right things and is priced at a discount to peers.
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

One I forgot to post about, a month or two back: Roger's Sugar at $6.06 per share. Now up 10% and paying a very decent dividend (one reason for buying, the other being the need to diversify more beyond utilities, telecoms and financial institutions).
Regards,
Pickles
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Bought 6300 shares in CZO. It has a patented process to extract oil from oats. It is an excellent additive for skin creams. The patented process gives them a competitive advantage. They are opening a plant which increase production by 10 fold. The stock has been extremely wild and volatile with big swings both ways. I guess I am on for the ride. Has anyone else looked at this stock?
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

I hope you limited that investment to your "play money". If that is the case, then yes.

Still, it looks like a "pump and dump" to me. I guess the key is getting out at the right time.

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Since 'The Gipper' has previously said he only plays with a small part of his portfolio, I'd assume so. IIRC, he often goes with Jason Donville picks. I wouldn't touch biotechs any more than junior mining/resource stocks because I don't have the personality for many strikeouts.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Hammerer
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hammerer »

1. US$7k in my TFSA in Ebay. I've always liked the product, and I figure they could easily cut their costs on a dime if they had to. For so many goods, nothing comes close to the selection and price.

Recent purchases lately include: Toyota oil-pan washers for a fraction of the local price, an RJ45 punchdown tool for $1, a Toyota remote-door opener for $20 (10x from dealer), Donald Trump toilet paper as a gag gift, car jack pinch-weld adapter for $4, and a BMW one for $4, iphone cables and a plastic drain snake for $1.50.

And I figure a lot of vendors are gray-market/scrappy hold-in-the-wall vendors that the average retailer couldn't compete against, or I'm buying directly from the factory. It also bypasses tariffs and duties.

2. Another US$7k in my TFSA in TDB953/TD DJIA INDX U$-E/NL'FRAC (I figure the extra .25% MER isn't worth the hassle of buying VTI since I plan on redeploying the funds into currently-unknown investments in the near future). I'm very heavily invested in the US, but I can't think of a better economy to park my money in ever since I saw the house my cousin bought in a reasonable Cleveland neighbourhood for US$58k. Cute 3bd 1bath with a garage and a backyard on a street mostly populated with retired city workers.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

AltaRed wrote:Since 'The Gipper' has previously said he only plays with a small part of his portfolio, I'd assume so. IIRC, he often goes with Jason Donville picks. I wouldn't touch biotechs any more than junior mining/resource stocks because I don't have the personality for many strikeouts.
I had Gilead for a while. It's metrics are solid but the stock seems to be heading in the wrong direction. Momentum isn't a friend for bio- techs these days. So I dumped Gilead. I am going to stick with Celgene for a while. My CZ0 represents about 2% of my portfolio. I have the temptation to gamble a little once in awhile. I do like the narrative on this stock. It makes a lot of sense. Donville has run into a rough patch. Valeant and Concordia have been awful . Were did he screw up? Growth by acquisition by piling up a mountain of debt is a recipe for failure?CRH has been a big winner for me. MTY has been a great stock. So some of Donville 's did okay.
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Thegipper wrote:Bought 6300 shares in CZO. It has a patented process to extract oil from oats. It is an excellent additive for skin creams. The patented process gives them a competitive advantage. They are opening a plant which increase production by 10 fold. The stock has been extremely wild and volatile with big swings both ways. I guess I am on for the ride. Has anyone else looked at this stock?
"The patented process gives them a competitive advantage." Lets hope that it isn't to wildly successful for them. Otherwise, patents can be disregarded by certain competitors...... ahem...

Top 10 Oat Production by Country in 1000 MT
#8. China - 600.00 MT
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Koogie wrote:
Thegipper wrote:Bought 6300 shares in CZO. It has a patented process to extract oil from oats. It is an excellent additive for skin creams. The patented process gives them a competitive advantage. They are opening a plant which increase production by 10 fold. The stock has been extremely wild and volatile with big swings both ways. I guess I am on for the ride. Has anyone else looked at this stock?
"The patented process gives them a competitive advantage." Lets hope that it isn't to wildly successful for them. Otherwise, patents can be disregarded by certain competitors...... ahem...

Top 10 Oat Production by Country in 1000 MT
#8. China - 600.00 MT
It isn't oat production it's about extracting an oil from oats. Even if one has a patented process one's competitors might find a way around it. Good point. Hopefully they get a good leg up before that happens.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Is anyone feelin' like I'm feelin' that markets are getting....frothy?
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Depends on what one is looking for. A few Cdn stocks on my Watch list have been trending down for months and I am watching for firm bottoms. Think some sector rotation is going on in Cdn markets at least. I pay no attention to anything ex-Canada.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

A few Cdn stocks on my Watch list have been trending down for months and I am watching for firm bottoms.
And those would be?? :)

On my watchlist, I see some weakness in BLX, NWC, DR, INE, and maybe throw in EMA, although a multi-year chart shows some of these only coming down from pretty lofty heights.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Agree that many examples are coming off multi-year highs but still watching in case an opportunity arises.

How about ATD.B @ circa $55? , MRU @ circa $35?, SJ @ $40? I believe all are still growing sales and earnings but have P/E contraction. Whether they (or others in those sectors) ever get to the point where I'd sell something to get something remains to be seen.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I am watching for firm bottoms
I prefer to do that at the beach.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

I am watching for firm bottoms
I prefer to do that at the beach.
:rofl:

Please come back with that line when markets have crashed 40% and I need the levity!
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

JaydoubleU wrote:
A few Cdn stocks on my Watch list have been trending down for months and I am watching for firm bottoms.
And those would be?? :)

On my watchlist, I see some weakness in BLX, NWC, DR, INE, and maybe throw in EMA, although a multi-year chart shows some of these only coming down from pretty lofty heights.
FYI, I'm keeping a very critical eye on INE (lousy last quarter) and DR (interest rate risk above others?). May pare back INE if the next quarter is also weak. Also looking for some good news re DR such as a new hospital / clinic purchase that will immediately add to the bottom line. I need to read the reports of both companies again.

2 yen
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

AltaRed wrote:Depends on what one is looking for. A few Cdn stocks on my Watch list have been trending down for months and I am watching for firm bottoms. Think some sector rotation is going on in Cdn markets at least. I pay no attention to anything ex-Canada.
I am surprised. About 1/3 of my stocks are US stocks. It's easy to do within a RRSP or RRIF . Over the past 2 and 1/2 years the Canadian dollar went from about 1 dollar per US dollar to .75 . For every penny decline my portfolio increased $ 4000 in Canadian dollars. Since 2008 my US stocks have outperformed my Canadian stocks. Just making a case for investing in USA stocks.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

What I meant is I stock pick Canada, but ETF everything else. My current asset allocation is about 35% US, 30% Canada and 15% Int'l.

I simply don't pay any attention to my ex-Canada broad index holdings.....as in, the market is the market and it will do what it does.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Also looking for some good news re DR such as a new hospital / clinic purchase that will immediately add to the bottom line. I need to read the reports of both companies again.
I got out of the Doctor a few months ago but was looking at it again following a pretty sharp retreat. Only two things hold me back; OK, three things: 1. lack of dividend growth 2. I think I read somewhere that the company is expected to reveal a new growth plan in early 2017. Can't find the source at the moment. My concern is that the new CEO could decide to trim that fat dividend to fund the growth. Payout ratio was 83% last quarter. and 3. unsure of what the new administration will do to healthcare in the States.

Still, I am watching it.

Come to think of it, I think the source was the analyst report on TDW. Safety of the dividend is not mentioned anywhere; this is just speculation on my part.

Edited to add:

Yeah, here is an excerpt:
Awaiting Britt Reynolds' Strategic Plan
— We are looking to the new leadership to introduce a long-term strategic plan. We expect the details to be disclosed in early 2017. We expect growth to feature prominently (organic and acquisitions), along with operating efficiencies. Overall, we anticipate the new leadership to employ a more integrated, centralized model and to capture operating benefits as a result.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

I bought some Dollarama. They are doing well ISTM