What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2016)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you Buy? What might you buy? (2016)

Post by adrian2 »

deaddog wrote:I'm with BMO. I was informed that I can't withdraw $US Cash from my RRIF.

Are you able to withdraw $US cash or are you just playing the exchange rate?
At TDW, one cannot contribute/withdraw US$ cash directly to/from a registered US$ account.

One can, however, use the US$ MMF for this purpose.
E.g., sell AMZN on Nasdaq in your US$ RRIF, two business days later buy US$ MMF in your US$ RRIF, after settlement withdraw in kind the MMF from your US$ RRIF to your unregistered US$ account. Later on, do as you wish with unregistered US$.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

adrian2 wrote:At TDW, one cannot contribute/withdraw US$ cash directly to/from a registered US$ account.

One can, however, use the US$ MMF for this purpose.
E.g., sell AMZN on Nasdaq in your US$ RRIF, two business days later buy US$ MMF in your US$ RRIF, after settlement withdraw in kind the MMF from your US$ RRIF to your unregistered US$ account. Later on, do as you wish with unregistered US$.
An interesting problem. If it's from an RRSP, or if it's a greater-than-minimum RRIF withdrawal, how do you/TDDI create the cash to pay the tax with-holding? I'd be tempted to dodge the issue by journalling a dual-listed stock.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

I manage my son's WebBroker accounts. Other than the RESP, I follow the same steps that Adrian2 mentioned. Of course, it is not up to me to notify the CRA if the withdrawal is from an RRSP. :) I do think that it is a tedious and unnecessary step to have to sell one stock and then sell the Money market. If he is in a hurry for the money, I phone WebBroker first and tell them I am selling the US$ stock and please do not convert it into MM. They always oblige. This means I save 3 business days.
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

Looking at FFH (Fairfax) really close this morning as its within 5% of my target price.
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

brad911 wrote:Looking at FFH (Fairfax) really close this morning as its within 5% of my target price.
Same here brad. Recent low (or even negative) correlation with the market is also a great plus
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

FFH seems to have stumbled a fair bit this past year or so. Just a streak of bad luck/gambles? Or is the boss losing his touch? [Probably better asked in the FFH thread]
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
nisser
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by nisser »

Everyone talks so highly of Prem and fairfax that the similarities with all the other market darlings like Valent and such make me stay far far away. I think this is the next overhyped TSX failure.

I bought:

1. CVS - been under pressure for very silly reasons
2. DHI - it's seen some selling as well over the last year. Has a dividend, single digit forward P/E, positive cash flow, and in the US housing market
3. WEF - I've actually just added to this. Only risk to this I see is the softwood lumber agreement but something will be agreed upon I'm sure. 4%+ dividend, low payout ratio, sitting on cash and once again has had postive FCF for the past 10 years other than 07-08 years.
4. TEVA - thinking about it :) but I'd like to see it drop to the low 30s.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Started a half position in Fairfax financial (TSE:FFH) at $620 this morning. Looks cheap overall and it also serves as a good hedge against my Canadian portfolio (negatively correlated). I will double down if it drops 10% or more.
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

How about in 2017 we title it; What did you Buy? What might you buy? What should I have bought?!?! (2017)

Shouldn't have been such a cheap a$$ and bought FFH yesterday. I like to stick to my target price and not chase stocks but thinking I missed it again. Would have been up 5-6% already.
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

brad911 wrote:How about in 2017 we title it; What did you Buy? What might you buy? What should I have bought?!?! (2017)

Shouldn't have been such a cheap a$$ and bought FFH yesterday. I like to stick to my target price and not chase stocks but thinking I missed it again. Would have been up 5-6% already.
That is why I prefer not having a firm number in mind and also why I generally like to work away at acquiring a position a bit at a time. The idea being that it will reduce the amount of remorse that can lead to less than ideal decisions going forward. Sometimes all you get is that first nibble, but that is the chance that one takes.

You aren't going to get everyone right and the realization that you don't have to in order to reach your goals is empowering. Patience my friend and things will work out just fine.
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

I technically didn't NEED it as I'm fully weighted in my financials already. It was more of a stock that was intriguing at that price. One of the things I have learned repeatedly is that my target price is usually not an unrealistic target. I'll often make that first purchase to only follow up with subsequent buys at a price lower than the target.
Descartes
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Descartes »

Descartes wrote:
2 yen wrote: Had a look at this and concluded that having only one main customer (Air Canada) was just too risky - even though the current contract for Jazz goes until 2022.
er.. you mean Chorus Aviation (CHR) not Corus Entertainment (CJR.B).. unless the stewardesses are now doing broadway shows in the aisle during the flight.
Speaking of Chorus Aviation (accidentally) and what should I have bought.
I've been waiting for a dip under $6 for a while now.
Then this happens with a resulting 9% jump in price:
Chorus Aviation announces launch of aircraft leasing subsidiary
Chorus Aviation Inc. (Chorus) has announced that it will establish a new regional aircraft leasing subsidiary, Chorus Aviation Capital, and has entered into an agreement pursuant to which Fairfax Financial Holdings Limited and certain of its subsidiaries (collectively, Fairfax) will invest $200 million in Chorus through a private placement (the Fairfax Investment) of 200,000 convertible debt units (the Convertible Units).

“Today’s [Dec. 19] announcement marks a significant milestone in support of our vision to deliver regional aviation to the world,” said Joe Randell, president and chief executive officer, Chorus. “We have been building our capabilities in aircraft leasing, and are encouraged both by our successes to date and the opportunities we see in this segment. The cost-effective and flexible source of capital provided by Fairfax will enable us to accelerate and strengthen our position as a leading player in this growing business segment.
"A dividend is a dictate of management. A capital gain is a whim of the market."
FinEcon
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by FinEcon »

jay wrote:Started a half position in Fairfax financial (TSE:FFH) at $620 this morning. Looks cheap overall and it also serves as a good hedge against my Canadian portfolio (negatively correlated). I will double down if it drops 10% or more.
I hope you guys understand that purchased FFH, it is now nowhere near the market hedge it was for the past few years.
Show me the incentive and I will show you the outcome

--Charlie Munger
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

FinEcon wrote:... FFH, it is now nowhere near the market hedge it was for the past few years.
Can you explain why?
FinEcon
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by FinEcon »

Arby wrote:
FinEcon wrote:... FFH, it is now nowhere near the market hedge it was for the past few years.
Can you explain why?
A quick look through FFH's Nov 11 release and recent financials will give you a good idea. That coupled with Watsa's on the record 180 on macro economic direction of North America in the near term. It seems Trump is in the MAGA camp, I think most rational people are even if they don't know it.

I have owned FFH for years and prefer the updated stance. Antifragile has its time and place but you can't do it forever even when its done very tax efficiently like FFH was doing.
Show me the incentive and I will show you the outcome

--Charlie Munger
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

Had planned to add to MRU after doing my next TFSA transfer Jan 1, but added today at $40
Long-term hold for me and adding at an appropriate multiple and yield. I've gotten it cheaper, but it needed a bump up to 3.5% of the portfolio.
ig17
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ig17 »

Arby wrote:
Can you explain why?
Long discussion here:

http://www.cornerofberkshireandfairfax. ... ges-to-50/
Gwenstacy
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Gwenstacy »

Buffett is a big fan of dividends, but if you invest in Berkshire today, don’t expect a quarterly payout. And there is a pretty good reason for it. Why pay out earnings to shareholders when the “Oracle of Omaha” can put them to much better use?

Still, if the goal of your investment portfolio is to generate steady income for years to come, learning from the legendary investor would be a great idea. With that in mind, let’s take a look at Buffett’s top 10 high-dividend-paying stocks of all time.

1) General Motors Company
General Motors has a market cap of $48.3 billion and forward price-to-earnings (P/E) of 5.36. The company also provides an annual dividend of 4.88%, or $1.52 per share. Berkshire Hathaway owns 50 million shares of General Motors, valued at $1.55 billion. General Motors makes up just 1.1% of the holdings in Berkshire Hathaway.
2) International Business Machines Corp.
With 81.2 million shares valued at $12.5 billion, IBM makes up one of the largest positions in the Berkshire Hathaway portfolio at 9.5%.
3) Wells Fargo & Company
Wells Fargo has a market cap of $229 billion and forward P/E of 10.81. The bank provides an annual dividend of 3.29%, or $1.52 per share. Berkshire Hathaway currently owns 478.7 million shares of Wells Fargo for a holdings value of $21.8 billion. Wells Fargo makes up 17.5% of Berkshire Hathaway’s holdings.

Source: Warren Buffett Dividend Stocks
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

Bought some more AB-Inbev at 103.31.
farco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by farco »

Bought EIF, FC and M.
Londoncalling
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Londoncalling »

After 2 weeks of slowly raising my bid price I initiated a position in CVS Health Corp @79.40.(will update the lessons learned 2016 thread as a result). Good track record of dividend growth. Current yield well above historical 5 yr average, Low pay out ratio. Plan to hold this for the long term. This position was funded through the sale of AFN 2 weeks back. My portfolio yield came down considerably this year but dividend growth potential (based on lower payout ratio and record of historical increases) has increased.
rishitibriwal
Contributor
Contributor

Post by rishitibriwal »

Finally exercised my TD $50 Jan17 calls to take advantage of the dividend due in Jan. Net, all in cost is approx $54.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Doubled down on CCO (Cameco Corp) at $13.85 to make it a 2.5% of my portfolio. Been liking the price action and waiting for a pullback. Hoping that Uranium stocks come back in 2017 after 6 consecutive down years. Trumps 'Let it be an arms race' quote may also help.
Sensei
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Sensei »

Hi,

I placed a modest market order on MNT. There are four reasons:
1. Sharia law is about to change making if easier for Muslims to invest in gold or gold investment products.
2. India will likely lower its gold import tax from 10% to 6%.

Both events will likely strengthen demand for the physical product.
3. Long term currency hedge.
4. Lots of uncertainty ahead for 2017 IMO.
Cheers

"A dividend being paid today is always a positive return." Josh Peters, Morningstar