What did you sell? What might you sell? (2016)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you sell? What might you sell? (2016)

Post by 2 yen »

Another quarter of anemic results for Cominar (CUF) and Northview (NUV) led me to sell both. Had been a long term holder of both.

2 yen
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

Sold out my Wells Fargo position on the ~14% gain over the past 2 days. I'm happy with my 14% annualized return.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Exited ESRX for +6.5%. This was a trade and I'm happy to get out. Just raising USD cash in my RRSP.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Reduced my position in FB by 80%. It doesn't seem that the market likes the big tech names post USA election. Not sure were to cash on both sides of the border. Could buy some industrials, materials and financials? GE, MET, Wells Fargo, Tech Resources ?
Sensei
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Sensei »

Hello,

I did some housecleaning last week of some stocks that are underperforming and/or most likely will continue to underperform.

AZN all, DEO all, AV all, KMB all. Clearly, the UK is less attractive and uncertain place to invest these days, so the first three were certainly the center of these trades. KMB continues to lag. I feel quite comfortable continuing with just PG and UL in a broadly defined consumer space, and JNJ and GSK in pharma.

However, none of these sales were in response to either Brexit or the US election in the end. They are part of a reorganization plan which I started thinking about over a year ago and have researched carefully enough to move forward with.

Recently, PartnerRe Preferred was called and sold on my behalf.
Cheers

"A dividend being paid today is always a positive return." Josh Peters, Morningstar
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I just had a Corporate Action Notice on a US ADR (with 3 hours to act! Thanks incompetent TDDI!), Option 1 was to accept a UD$ stock dividend and pay TDDI a bunch of fees. It was the default so I assumed it was the least attractive to me. I chose the stock dividend which was Option 2.

Does anyone have any comments on which might have been better?
For the fun of it...Keith
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Trimmed PWF on the Thursday rally. Will redeploy the funds when better prices are available.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
westcoastfella
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westcoastfella »

Sold out of Farmland Partners (FPI). While I think this is an interesting niche space for a REIT, I don't believe that FPI is going to be able to make themselves profitable in the space. They have been acquiring new land at a pretty steep pace (and taking on debt or selling shares to fund it), and have recently acquired another farmland REIT. However, they have yet to make a profit, are paying out more than EPS and FFO, and are staring into the headwinds of declining leases on land - it seems the more they grow, the more they lose. With rates headed up soon the picture for them will not get any rosier, and I'm expecting a cut to the dividend at some point. Best to get out now and re-deploy the funds into other things.

I'm still interested in farmland as a REIT space, and may re-enter later.
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

Sensei wrote:Hello,

I did some housecleaning last week of some stocks that are underperforming and/or most likely will continue to underperform.

AZN all, DEO all, AV all, KMB all. Clearly, the UK is less attractive and uncertain place to invest these days, so the first three were certainly the center of these trades. KMB continues to lag. I feel quite comfortable continuing with just PG and UL in a broadly defined consumer space, and JNJ and GSK in pharma.

However, none of these sales were in response to either Brexit or the US election in the end. They are part of a reorganization plan which I started thinking about over a year ago and have researched carefully enough to move forward with.

Recently, PartnerRe Preferred was called and sold on my behalf.
We have very different opinions on DEO. I continue to add and look forward to any further price drops :)
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Trimmed my holding in MFC. Nice run in the last few days!
Raising cash in case volatility comes back.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Sold my holdings of Ag Growth @ 53.10

One-year return of 82%, YTD of 60%. I've held this one for years, back when it was yielding over 7%. A tremendously well-managed company that I wouldn't hesitate to buy back under $40. But the spike of 15% in the last month was more than I could resist. And it isn't a dividend grower. I thought to sit back for awhile and study this crazy market for other opportunities. I have little doubt that what goes up . . .
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

jay wrote:Trimmed my holding in MFC. Nice run in the last few days!
If interest rates are rising I wouldn't be selling life insurance.
Spidey
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spidey »

Sold all my emerging market ETFs. I've been debating the place of EM in my portfolio ever since there was a discussion on the forum about a year ago. The Trump presidency was the final push I needed.
If life seems jolly rotten, then there's something you've forgotten -- and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. - Eric Idle
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Thegipper wrote:
jay wrote:Trimmed my holding in MFC. Nice run in the last few days!
If interest rates are rising I wouldn't be selling life insurance.
Agreed. Except that we don't know they will or when. I had topped MFC early in the year and as of this morning it was approaching 5% of my portfolio. I trimmed it down to 3%. I also added to POW last week (life insurance is a big component of which) and that has some catching up to do.
Londoncalling
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Londoncalling »

JaydoubleU wrote:Sold my holdings of Ag Growth @ 53.10

One-year return of 82%, YTD of 60%. I've held this one for years, back when it was yielding over 7%. A tremendously well-managed company that I wouldn't hesitate to buy back under $40. But the spike of 15% in the last month was more than I could resist. And it isn't a dividend grower. I thought to sit back for awhile and study this crazy market for other opportunities. I have little doubt that what goes up . . .
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I had no idea about the recent run up. I didn't expect much dividend growth when the stock was yielding in the 7% range. My ACB is 36.75 and debated adding in the low 30s in Dec of 15. My IPS prevented me from doing so as I already had a 5 % weighting. Currently I am overweight in this stock. I know typically Q4 of an election cycle is bullish but this election is not the same as previous. I may just hurry up and wait. Perhaps near end of year I will take some profits. I don't like to sell my winners even though I know this increase is much too much and much too soon.

Cheers
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Sold my position in BAD[ Badger] . The results for the latest quarter were quite disappointing. Very good chance that a knife might start falling.
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

Sold a few positions in preferreds for tax loss selling. I'll likely just do a swap or hold the cash for the short-term.
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

brad911 wrote:Sold a few positions in preferreds for tax loss selling. I'll likely just do a swap or hold the cash for the short-term.
I sold my position in BAM.PR.X moments ago for tax loss selling. I've been picking away at a position in MFC.PR.F as a partial replacement (looking to spread my remaining resets out over equal chunks on a 5 year 2015 to 2019 reset ladder). Likely will wait now for the 'interest rate' increase euphoria to pass first before purchasing. But decreasing slightly my overall exposure to fixed resets in aggregate.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Sold remaining half of Teck corp yesterday at $31.36, trying to get rid of stuff like this, hit $32.21 today :thumbsup:
Tax loss sold at $6.19, bought back at $5.07 that might make me about even. :roll:
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

Sold out my position in Chipotle for no gain, no loss.

I had bought some throughout 2016 on the thesis of a quick turnaround from their food scare in late-2015.

The recovery of lost business has been slower than anticipated. The company is giving out oodles of free food to entice customers back. Management projected a "hopeful" return to $9 EPS by the end of 2017, which seems very optimistic based on current sales recovery. Oh, and Bill Ackman has taken a big stake :lol:

I probably should have adhered to the wisdom: "turnarounds seldom turn."
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

Profit taking on New Flyer Industries convertible debenture due June 2017 6.25% NFI.DB.U
Cost 3170
Proceeds 15707

Still hold cost 41540 in my TD RRIF. Watching when to do the conversion or dump the remainder. Current valuation is 168131. Good Canadian firm making buses and not relying on government handouts!

What luck!
For the fun of it...Keith
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

kcowan wrote:Profit taking on New Flyer Industries convertible debenture due June 2017 6.25% NFI.DB.U
Cost 3170
Proceeds 15707

Still hold cost 41540 in my TD RRIF. Watching when to do the conversion or dump the remainder. Current valuation is 168131. Good Canadian firm making buses and not relying on government handouts!

What luck!
It seems that the really successful companies don't rely on government grants and handouts. If they do that is a reason for owning their stock. I wonder about a lot of these green energy stocks.
bindexit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bindexit »

Sold:
-Aegon (AEG-N, an ADR) $5 US (sold out)
-Banco Santander (San-N, an ADR) $4.50 US (sold out)
-Corby's (CSW.B on TSX) around $20 (sold out)
-Empire (EMP.A) around $17.50 (sold out)
-Cameco (CCO) around $12 (sold out)
-BMO Laddered Preferred Share Index (ZPR) around $10

Reasons: Simplifying portfolio by reducing arbitrarily equity holdings. I had a busy year and next year will be too. I saw value in the choices above and still do. However, I don't want to spend much time following Mr. Market and so transferred funds into existing holdings of VCN, VXC, and CBO. My portfolio is mostly ETFs and a healthy dose of SIN.UN bought under $6. I love that one...drip drip drip:)
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Sold ENF as pipelines are now overvalued.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

I'm considering the sale of Finning (FTT). Still something I intend to hold long-term, but I piled into this at $18.00 and looking at a sizeable gain in a TFSA. Tempted to wait for a 52 week high given all the excitement over oil prices and pipelines....maybe re-enter in early 2017 on a correction or dip.
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals