What did you sell? What might you sell? (2016)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you sell? What might you sell? (2016)

Post by schmuck »

Sold the Algonquin instalment receipts (AQN.IR) that I bought Nov 24th for a 19% profit while the commons had only gained 6% during that time. Tremendous leverage with the instalment receipts, both on the upside and downside. I suspect the listing of AQN in the US contributed to the recent bump. May try to repeat that strategy if the opportunity arises...or maybe just add to my AQN holdings for the longer term if Yellen presents that opportunity later this month.
Londoncalling
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Londoncalling »

Londoncalling wrote:
JaydoubleU wrote:Sold my holdings of Ag Growth @ 53.10

One-year return of 82%, YTD of 60%. I've held this one for years, back when it was yielding over 7%. A tremendously well-managed company that I wouldn't hesitate to buy back under $40. But the spike of 15% in the last month was more than I could resist. And it isn't a dividend grower. I thought to sit back for awhile and study this crazy market for other opportunities. I have little doubt that what goes up . . .
Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I had no idea about the recent run up. I didn't expect much dividend growth when the stock was yielding in the 7% range. My ACB is 36.75 and debated adding in the low 30s in Dec of 15. My IPS prevented me from doing so as I already had a 5 % weighting. Currently I am overweight in this stock. I know typically Q4 of an election cycle is bullish but this election is not the same as previous. I may just hurry up and wait. Perhaps near end of year I will take some profits. I don't like to sell my winners even though I know this increase is much too much and much too soon.

Cheers
Trimmed my position by 40% this morning @ 55.77. High yielding crops in the US this year resulted in the need for additional storage. Would consider adding on a significant pullback.

Cheers
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Just exited HFC (HollyFrontier Corp). This was a non core holding that I had bought in late May (based on fundamentals) and I am happy to have made +15%.
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

Arby wrote:According to the insider transaction reports on SEDI, the CEO of DH Corp bought 15,000 shares at $17.75 on the open market on Oct 28. Insider buying on the open market is often a good buy signal. If the CEO thinks it's a good idea to spend $266K of his own money to buy the company shares, then the stock might be worth a second look.
"TORONTO, Dec. 7, 2016 /CNW/ - DH Corporation (TSX:DH) ("DH" or the "Company"), a leading provider of technology solutions to domestic and global financial institutions, today acknowledged that a process has been established by its Board of Directors, including the formation of a Special Committee of independent Directors, to address expressions of interest from certain third parties to acquire DH."

Hmm, I wonder if the "expressions of interest from certain third parties to acquire DH" had anything to do with the CEO and CFO recent insider buying. A CIBC report this morning says the business could be worth between $24/share to $33.50/share in a buyout. DH is up around $3 this morning.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Sold PWF for an 8% gain in 6 months. Canadian interest rates aren't going up for some time.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
SkaSka
Contributor
Contributor

Post by SkaSka »

Closed out a legacy position in IBM at an annual gain of 8% per year over 2 years.

I call it a legacy position because it was purchased 2 years ago when I had much less financial knowledge and was just starting out.
Wallace
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Wallace »

Bought Canopy growth on Nov 22 at $8.57 and sold it today at $10.41 (TFSA). Don't think I have the temperament for short-term trading. Even with "play money" I was getting palpitations.

And I wasn't even smoking the stuff!
"Why do I have to go to school? If I watch YouTube I'll know everything."
- Grandson #2
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

Trimmed positions in INE (Innergex), mainly over poor quarter 3 results, DR (Medical Facilities) payout getting high and lack of growth, and ENF (Embridge Income Fund) a company that is reliable, but just got too big in the portfolio. The drop down entities like ENF and RNW should not be too big a percentage of holdings because there is some track record in the U.S. of 'Yieldco' structure not being as rosy as appears.

2 yen
Last edited by 2 yen on 09 Dec 2016 11:22, edited 1 time in total.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

The drop down entities like ENF and RNW should not be too big a percentage of holdings because there is some track record in the U.S. of 'Yieldco' structure not being as rosy as appears.
If the entities are as good as they say they are, why did they drop them down?

Too much room for jiggery pokery.

Just sold ENF (which I regard as a trader, not a holder) for the same reason. (Buy ENF below $30, sell at $33+, collect dividends.)
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Profit not Prophet
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Profit not Prophet »

TRP seems more expensive than ENF (globe says pe of 21.5 versus 15-16) IF ENF is a bit of trader and sell 33+ whatcha think of TRP these days at almost $60
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

Trimmed my hefty "back up the truck" position in CPX back to 4.5%. Thank you Alberta NDP Government for many bone headed moves that created an awesome value opportunity at both the buy and sell end of things. Keep up the great work! :thumbsup:
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hogwild »

I'm leaning towards selling NA (National Bank). Bought at 44.35 and was expecting to hold long-term as it hopefully climbed slowly in price. But after the recent rally, it's sitting at 54.69, so I'm thinking there will be a correction, and I could always buy something else cheaper.
nisser
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by nisser »

Sold JPM and Manulife at a 45% and 30% profit respectively. I know know that market timing doesn't work but this recent rally just seems a bit silly. Will likely pick up both if they get trimmed a bit in the next few months.
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Hogwild wrote:I'm leaning towards selling NA (National Bank). Bought at 44.35 and was expecting to hold long-term as it hopefully climbed slowly in price. But after the recent rally, it's sitting at 54.69, so I'm thinking there will be a correction, and I could always buy something else cheaper.
nisser wrote:Sold JPM and Manulife at a 45% and 30% profit respectively. I know know that market timing doesn't work but this recent rally just seems a bit silly. Will likely pick up both if they get trimmed a bit in the next few months.
Sitting on similar gains in NA and MFC. Even though the gains are extreme (percentage wise) I am going to hold. If I sell out, there is nothing on my radar that looks remotely attractive and who knows how long it will be until there is.

I have given up on being a dirty market timer. Now just a buy and mold-er.
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

nisser wrote:Sold JPM and Manulife at a 45% and 30% profit respectively. I know know that market timing doesn't work but this recent rally just seems a bit silly. Will likely pick up both if they get trimmed a bit in the next few months.
I have been increasing my position on this pair. Rising interest rates are big positives for both. A 10% cut in corporate tax rates means a big increase in earnings for JPM. Both have had a good bump . I think they have a lot more room.
robertro
Contributor
Contributor

Post by robertro »

Haven't done many trades for the past couple of months - sold a fraction of my ENF a while ago because it was getting to be too large a percentage of the portfolio. This week sold my holdings of NA. After the recent rise I don't see much upside compared to their peers that I continue to hold.
jay
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jay »

Just trimmed my Westject Airlines (TSE:WJA) position at 23$ this morning. I had doubled down mid Nov (just below $21) on Buffet's news that he was buying airlines. Happy to have made a quick +10%, enough to cover most of my Christmas shopping.
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by schmuck »

Got my sell order filled for BTE this morning which was the only tax loss harvesting available to me this year. It actually got filled $0.22 above my price. That's happened to me several times to my advantage with TDDI, both on the upside and the downside.
Good on them! :thumbsup:
bindexit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bindexit »

Recently sold out of:
Chinook Energy Inc. (CKE-tse) just below 50 cents
Re: lack of conviction, patience when it seems everything else is rising. I should be keeping cash but added towards another risky Canadian junior resource. I usually do more buying than selling around this time of year but not this year. It's the other way around.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Some tax loss harvesting over the course of the past week or so in the fixed-reset date preferred share class. Sold the following: GWO.PR.N, MFC.PR.F and SLR.PF.G. The decision was solely based on harvesting the tax losses that had built up in each.

I've set a calendar reminder for 31 days (avoid the superficial loss rule) from the sale of each to revisit with the intention to repurchase. The timing of the sales was somewhat predicated on the ex-dividend date.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

More tax loss harvesting, as mentioned here
Peculiar_Investor wrote:I'm a current shareholder of POT in a taxable account and still like the sector and the business. I'm sitting on a tax-loss harvesting opportunity with this name and I'm thinking a simple strategy would be to sell POT and replace it with Agrium (AGU) on the assumption that their merger will proceed as planned in mid-2017.
So back on November 17th I eliminated my POT holding @ $23.90 and placed a limit order for AGU to replace it. Unfortunately Mr. Market's hasn't wanted to co-operate and I've only filled 25% of the AGU order. I'm willing to be patient and wait out a fill on my terms, not Mr. Market's. If, or when, this happens I'll post in the "What did you Buy" topic. Mr. Market will determine if that's the 2016 version or the 2017 version. :lol:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:More tax loss harvesting, as mentioned here
Peculiar_Investor wrote:I'm a current shareholder of POT in a taxable account and still like the sector and the business. I'm sitting on a tax-loss harvesting opportunity with this name and I'm thinking a simple strategy would be to sell POT and replace it with Agrium (AGU) on the assumption that their merger will proceed as planned in mid-2017.
So back on November 17th I eliminated my POT holding @ $23.90 and placed a limit order for AGU to replace it. Unfortunately Mr. Market's hasn't wanted to co-operate and I've only filled 25% of the AGU order. I'm willing to be patient and wait out a fill on my terms, not Mr. Market's. If, or when, this happens I'll post in the "What did you Buy" topic. Mr. Market will determine if that's the 2016 version or the 2017 version. :lol:
AGU is coming back to you, P_I. I was on the verge of blowing my position out because I'm not exactly thrilled with the prospects of having even greater commodity exposure than before, but that was about $9.00 ago. Greed prevails; either that or stupidity depending upon what the future holds... :roll:
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
robertro
Contributor
Contributor

Post by robertro »

Sold POW at 30.75 this morning after a 6% gain and several dividends. It'll probably rise more in the coming weeks, but 31.60 had been my target....so bye to POW for now.
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

I tax-loss harvested my ZEA this morning and am switching into VIU instead.

Am also attempting to sell TECK but the price is below my limit at the moment. Hopefully this won't be a big mistake!
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:Some tax loss harvesting over the course of the past week or so in the fixed-reset date preferred share class. Sold the following: GWO.PR.N, MFC.PR.F and SLR.PF.G. The decision was solely based on harvesting the tax losses that had built up in each.

I've set a calendar reminder for 31 days
They have pairs for this purpose. :wink: