TDDI - New WebBroker interface

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
CROCKD
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: TDDI - New WebBroker interface

Post by CROCKD »

Thanks Spudd for the answer.
" A verbal contract isn't worth the paper it is written on " Samuel Goldwyn
"The light at the end of the tunnel may be a freight train coming your way" Metallica - No Leaf Clover
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

Well, the time is finally nigh.

Tomorrow there will be no more Old WebBroker at TDDI. We're told that tomorrow we are:
-------------------
Transitioning to the new WebBroker, the new standard.

At TD Direct Investing, we're always listening to your feedback and continually innovating to bring you an exceptional online investing experience.

The new WebBroker offers greater flexibility and control with new order types, simplified navigation, and a personalized homepage. And that's only the start. This fall, you'll see the introduction of some exciting new features, including contingent order types, real-time buying power, personalized rate of return reporting and a series of enhancements to existing features, all based on your feedback.

We're taking the next step in our transition to the new WebBroker as our flagship platform, and as of October 4, the "Return to Current WebBroker" link will be removed. With the permanent move to the new WebBroker, your feedback continues to play an important role in evolving the platform and making it more powerful, personalized and comprehensive.

-------------------

I admit, they've made a few changes for the positive, but overall it's a silly dog and I still haven't changed my mind. I certainly prefer the old interface - hands down. It was much easier to use and more comprehensive. As I have said before, I really dislike it every time I log in they tell me how much I lost yesterday. I'm getting a bit fatigued at seeing their announcement on my front page when I log in that I've lost $5000 or $10,000 yesterday, again, or the opposite - who cares how much my portfolio changed yesterday. So much for advising people to take the long view and don't look at your daily ups and downs. I just don't need to see that every day.

I also don't like that banner at the top that jumps around all the time when I scroll up and down to look at something. There's no need for the page to jump like it does - I've seen very smooth top banners on many other web sites, so it's just a programming issue and well understood by everyone except TDDI.

And of course, I'm still somewhat bitter about losing level II quotes that I had for years and years and years until the new WebBroker appeared.

ltr
Spudd
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spudd »

I never noticed the jumpy banner myself, but someone on another forum was also irritated by it, and just today posted that it was fixed, so you may be in luck in that department.
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

Spudd wrote:I never noticed the jumpy banner myself, but someone on another forum was also irritated by it, and just today posted that it was fixed, so you may be in luck in that department.
OMG, that's amazing. I immediately went and checked out your assertion, and you're absolutely correct. After all this time they have finally fixed that incredibly annoying bug - well, not a bug, just amateur programming. But whatever, it does indeed work now. How could you not have noticed this. If you scrolled up and down, when the banner appeared and disappeared, the text you were looking at jumped about an inch. It was quite annoying, and most everyone agreed.

ltr
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

As I believe you've been told before you can change the logged in home page to something else, like your balances page.

Have you appealed your loss of free level II quotes? It took way more work than it should have but I'm getting free level II again indefinitely after threatening to leave(BMO offers free level II at 250k). They likely do an account profitability assessment before giving you an answer. I was fully willing to leave and accept a large bounty for doing so if they had insisted on continuing to charge for level II. YMMV.
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

gsp_ wrote:As I believe you've been told before you can change the logged in home page to something else, like your balances page.
Yeah, and you may have missed my point that the default home page likes to reveal how much your portfolio has changed in the last day. Is this important information for investors?
gsp_ wrote:Have you appealed your loss of free level II quotes?
Nope, just like I won't beg for better rates with ING or Et-al. You either want my business or you don't. Why should I have to beg?

ltr
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

Well that sucks. I just logged in to the old WB and there was no mention of this, just a message about Thanksgiving/Columbus day closures. I don't like the timing of this either, they could have at least waited until mid-month when everyone had a chance to pick up their September statements.
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by schmuck »

IdOp wrote:Well that sucks.
Big time!
Just cancelled all the stink bids that I had placed for some potential October fireworks. Just too much useless crap on the new system for changing or cancelling orders in a hurry. Way too much clicking and scrolling required that not only slows down transactions but increases the possibility of mistakes. Much preferred the old system that would have shown any activity in a dozen family accounts, all on the login page.
Surprised and disappointed that TDDI did not heed all the criticism and negative feedback.
gsp_
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by gsp_ »

like_to_retire wrote:
gsp_ wrote:As I believe you've been told before you can change the logged in home page to something else, like your balances page.
Yeah, and you may have missed my point that the default home page likes to reveal how much your portfolio has changed in the last day. Is this important information for investors?
gsp_ wrote:Have you appealed your loss of free level II quotes?
Nope, just like I won't beg for better rates with ING or Et-al. You either want my business or you don't. Why should I have to beg?
Sheesh, you realize I was actually trying to help you resolve the 2 outstanding issues you still had, right?

Thanks for making it clear this is just your usual woe is me complaining with no inclination to actually resolve the issues. If you aren't willing to try fixing them and aren't willing to move to another broker, can you at least spare us the repeated whining about them? That's best directed at TDDI, not us poor forum members actually trying to help a fellow member.
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Koogie »

Just logged in and still getting the old system. Maybe they haven't gotten around to screwing it up changing it for everyone yet.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

The New WebBroker becomes our "one and only" next week, according to a login message at TDDI.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

I trade on WebBroker for my son's accounts. These include TFSA and RRSP and RESP as well as a company account. I have been doing this for 8 years. I was always able to sell a US stock in the USRRSP or USTFSA and move the money, by phone in order to buy a Canadian stock. Today I went to sell a US Stock in the RRSP so that I could buy a Canadian stock. I was told that unless I signed a PA form, I could not do the trade. After a lot of discussion I got to a supervisor who said that he discussed it with the System's people and that now the system will only allow an over ride if I call. He would put a note on the file. I proved to him that I had been doing this for years. Of course this is not his doing. I really want to get the attention of someone in Senior management over this as I cannot count on trading when I am overseas. The TD system of handling complaints is as obscure as any other bank. I understand that it will end up with the Ombudsman who will not do anything.
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

I continue to not be impressed with the new interface. Its only purpose is to upsell features that an investor like myself simply doesn't care for. I do my own research and really just want to complete the basics quickly and efficiently.
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

tedster wrote:I trade on WebBroker for my son's accounts. These include TFSA and RRSP and RESP as well as a company account. I have been doing this for 8 years. I was always able to sell a US stock in the USRRSP or USTFSA and move the money, by phone in order to buy a Canadian stock. Today I went to sell a US Stock in the RRSP so that I could buy a Canadian stock. I was told that unless I signed a PA form, I could not do the trade.
Sorry I'm going to have to side with TDDI on this one. Just because you've always done it doesn't make it correct or legal.

Given all the identify fraud and account security issues that existing in the world today, I'm surprised that you wouldn't willingly just make your access to his account official with either of TD Direct Investing's Trading Authorization form or a Power of Attorney form. I've got them setup for my spouse's accounts and my sons' accounts. They are very simple to fill out and return.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

P-I wrote
Sorry I'm going to have to side with TDDI on this one. Just because you've always done it doesn't make it correct or legal.
I was not notified of the change. In fact this is not even mentioned in their "drive thru" explanation.

They are willing to bypass it if I call every time.

This has little to do with security. This is a systems guy's blindness. They are treating one RRSP account as if it were two accounts. Likely because they decided to treat them as numbers instead of accounts. Moreover, I can trade in the US account of the RRSP and I can trade in the Cdn RRSP. I just cannot move the results of a sale in one to do a buy in the other.

I have always had the trading authority. Took a week to get all the papers set up. For my son to do the PA he has to make an appointment with the Branch in Tronno, then get them to contact me to go to a Montreal branch and then I sign, etc etc. He just does not have the time. Currently in BC on a conference. I do not have the time for this BS either. Of course he could give me his access and password but then I would have total access to everything, and I do not want that.

If you still think that TD is doing the right thing, I am surprised.
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I do all online transactions for the family. That includes posing as my wife for accounts like Rogers Mobility.

But for the banking and investing, I have completed their paperwork for DW (and MIL before her death).

BTW he can drop into any TD branch in BC for signing if you set it up. They are always tightening up their practices to protect the bank.
For the fun of it...Keith
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

kcowan wrote
BTW he can drop into any TD branch in BC for signing if you set it up. They are always tightening up their practices to protect the bank.
He is in BC giving a paper at a conference. When back in Tronno, it is like pulling teeth to get him to make time to go to the Branch. Then his Branch has to set something up with my Branch in Montreal. Neither Branch likes this because I think, the originating branch officer is supposed to witness my signature. I forget exactly but when we did the Trading Authority is was an ordeal. And it only worked because his Branch Officer knew him for several years.
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

There's a distinction at TDDI (and maybe elsewhere) between TA & PoA. DW and I spent some time setting-up TA for her accounts - only to discover that I can't give phone instructions, transfer assets between accounts, move cash out of accounts, etc. So, for example, I can't set up a DRIP cos that requires a phone call. In effect, TA is no better than "posing" as the other person ... which I was already doing when we decided to regularize it :oops:.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

tedster wrote:This has little to do with security. This is a systems guy's blindness. They are treating one RRSP account as if it were two accounts. Likely because they decided to treat them as numbers instead of accounts. Moreover, I can trade in the US account of the RRSP and I can trade in the Cdn RRSP. I just cannot move the results of a sale in one to do a buy in the other.

I have always had the trading authority.
Thanks for clarifying that you've properly setup trading authority for the accounts.

From the two links I provided above,
TD Direct Investing wrote:Trading Authorization
Complete this form if you would like to allow another person to place trades in your account on your behalf.

Power of Attorney
Complete this form if you would like to authorize another person to have full power and authority over your account.
I'm not a lawyer, but from my read of both documents it does not appear that Trading Authorization ever gave you the right to transfer funds between accounts. What has changed in the past couple of years is TDDI finally got around to providing US dollar sub-accounts for RRSPs and TFSAs. From the WebBroker - Help information for "Transfers & Foreign Exchange"
WebBroker - Help wrote:Select the 'From' Account where the funds will be withdrawn from. All your eligible TD Bank Group accounts will appear in the drop-down menu. In WebBroker, you can transfer funds FROM your:

- TD Direct Investing $CAD accounts (account numbers ending in A, E or L)
- TD Direct Investing $USD accounts (account numbers ending in B,F or M)
- TD Direct Investing Registered (TFSA and RSP) accounts (account numbers ending in J, K, S and U). For the $USD component of the TFSA (K) and RSP (U), the only transfer permitted is to the $CAD component. De-registrations from the $USD component to outside of the plan are not permitted.
So I've just double-checked as I have Trading Authority and Power of Attorney on my spouse's accounts and they appear under my Connect ID. I can execute trades in all my spouse's accounts within WebBroker, but none of my spouse's accounts even show up in the Transfers and Foreign Exchange From accounts list.

Do you have one Connect ID for accessing all the accounts? IIRC, when I setup my sons TDDI accounts and was granted Power of Attorney, I needed to have them issue me a new, separate Connect ID in order to trade on their accounts. This is separate from their own Connect ID, as they are not supposed to share the credentials for obvious security reasons. I suspect using my Connect ID for their accounts would be the only way to transfer funds with their accounts.

Financial regulation continues to tighten, particularly with regard to security and identify, so I'm guessing that to dot the i's and cross the t's you'll be best served to complete TDDI's Power of Attorney form and then get a separate Connect ID associated with their accounts. Unfortunately as you've experienced, TDDI doesn't always make this a simple process. That's definitely worth pursuing with the Ombudsman.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

I have a on ID to connect with all his webbroker accounts. I can trade on each individual account and sub account. However, now I am not permitted to a transfer and foreign exchange between a US$ subaccount and its Canadian counterpart. What is really strange is that I set up the US sub accounts for both TFSA and RRSP. I also used money and stocks from a cash (non registered account) to make contributions to the registered ones. Talking to the customer service people and their supervisor, this was a surprise to them as well. Both tried to walk me through the Transfers and foreign exchange process. To me this is a system design flaw, and management does not want to spend money to fix it. They would rather have all their customers in this situation to fill out another form. Let's face it. An RRSP is ONE account even if there is a US sub account and a Canadian dollar sub account. WebBroker now chooses to consider these as two separate accounts.
TD Direct Investing Registered (TFSA and RSP) accounts (account numbers ending in J, K, S and U). For the $USD component of the TFSA (K) and RSP (U), the only transfer permitted is to the $CAD component
This is exactly what I am trying to do. I am not trying to transfer money from TFSA to an RRSP.
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

Note: Only accounts where you are the beneficial owner will appear in the Transfers drop down menu. Any WebBroker sub-accounts where you have Trading Authority or Power of Attorney will not appear.
From the Help page of WebBroker. It appears that the only possible way is to log in as if I were my son. Really Stupid. JMHO.

edited to add. Discussion with the Customer service supervisor elicited the fact that this Note is incorrect. Signing a PA will allow access. Still stupid.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

TDDI wrote:It's official! The new WebBroker becomes our new standard on October 25

We're pleased to announce that the new WebBroker will become the standard platform for all TD Direct Investing clients as of October 25, 2016. At that time, access to the current platform will be removed.
:cry:
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

The new WebBroker showed up today, and I've been looking around it, and have found most of the things that I normally use. One thing I didn't find yet though. Before, when you went to Quotes, you got a form with 10 entries that you could fill in and get quotes for. Now when I go to Quotes I just get a "quick quote" pop-over (similar to the old quick quote). I don't see any way to get multiple quotes on one page, like the 10 before. Is that functionality gone, or have I missed it?
jeremy
Contributor
Contributor

Post by jeremy »

IdOp wrote:The new WebBroker showed up today, and I've been looking around it, and have found most of the things that I normally use. One thing I didn't find yet though. Before, when you went to Quotes, you got a form with 10 entries that you could fill in and get quotes for. Now when I go to Quotes I just get a "quick quote" pop-over (similar to the old quick quote). I don't see any way to get multiple quotes on one page, like the 10 before. Is that functionality gone, or have I missed it?
Not exactly the same as before, but you could use their watchlist feature.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

jeremy wrote:Not exactly the same as before, but you could use their watchlist feature.
Thanks. Yes, the Watchlists replace what was "Portfolios". There are 5 of those and at the moment I've used them all, and it doesn't seem possible to add a new one. So I'll have to get rid of one of them to use for general quoting and see how that works.