What did you buy? What might you buy? (2014)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

What did you buy? What might you buy? (2014)

Post by Pickles »

This thread is where you will post actual or potential buys in 2014!
Regards,
Pickles
poedin
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you buy? What might you buy? (2014)

Post by poedin »

With a large cash component (proceeds from RE), looking to top up on some equities as per asset allocation - we're low on domestic and pondering individual securities for the taxable portfolio, otherwise it's broad market index funds. Homework for the new year 8)
zinfit
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by zinfit »

I am backing off from Reits. I figure the interest rate factor still presents a real concern. I am looking at small caps that have decent P/E's and high ROE and aren't commodity or straight energy related. I am looking for the 2014 Carfinco and Badger Daylight type companies. High Arctic and Macro Enterprise are two that are looking good. I am also looking at a micro called Asian Television Network. Pulse Seismic is another. Jean Coutu Group looks promising.
sydney2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by sydney2 »

For my TFSA I bought 100 shares of IPL @25.75 and will have an order in for TD that hasn't been filled. The dividends in the TFSA are starting to look good.l
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

50 BNS for the TFSA.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
tedster
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by tedster »

Yellow media seems to have done very well for themselves. have they peaked? or do they still have an upside?
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

tedster wrote:Yellow media seems to have done very well for themselves. have they peaked? or do they still have an upside?
No doubt they've done well since they stole so much money from all their investors.

As soon as they return the $15500 they stole from me for YLO.PR.B, I'll give them a look.

ltr
peter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peter »

REITS: Cominar (CUF.UN), Dundee (D.UN), Dundee Intl (DI.UN), Artis (AX.UN). CUF.UN is new, adding to nine other REITS, the other three are making existing position sizes more typical. Based on a 20% REIT allocation, diversified picked from XRE with roughly equal size.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

Initiated a position in Northland Power (NPI). Shall I, singlehandedly, resist the armies of investors fleeing utilities? Who's with me here!?

Well, actually, I am wanting to add to positions in renewable energy and related entities (stay tuned to this channel!). I've looked at several. I might have bought BEP.UN if it wasn't for the "dot UN" --> that means a 25% withholding tax for the non-resident, more than I feel is reasonable. I was also interested in AQN and INE but for some reason they have rallied in the last month out of mouth-watering range, and I don't like to chase rising stocks. NPI seems to just sit there with its low beta and high yield. It had an awful year and I like that. Revenue, earnings and cash flow were up sharply Q3, and the payout ratio fell to 63% (including the DRIP). NPI has a number of projects on the natural-gas burning stove, including a huge offshore wind project in the North Sea. They may have to issue debt and equity to finance this, but I'm OK with that. It will eventually be accretive to cash flow.

Anyway, you know, I read that climate change is coming fast and will hit hard, perhaps much harder than we anticipate. I'm afraid I belong to the camp that believes this to be true, simply because I am experiencing the boiling summers, freaky storms, cold snaps and what not. I feel I should try and do a little to help. So I sold some Husky to buy some Northland Power. Buffett can have his crude-moving trains; Jay will have his solar panels, windmills, and running waters.
Inquisitive
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Inquisitive »

I belong to the camp that believes this to be true, simply because I am experiencing the boiling summers, freaky storms, cold snaps and what not. I feel I should try and do a little to help.
:thumbsup:

Inq
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

JaydoubleU wrote:Initiated a position in Northland Power (NPI). Shall I, singlehandedly, resist the armies of investors fleeing utilities? Who's with me here!?

Well, actually, I am wanting to add to positions in renewable energy and related entities (stay tuned to this channel!). I've looked at several. I might have bought BEP.UN if it wasn't for the "dot UN" --> that means a 25% withholding tax for the non-resident, more than I feel is reasonable. I was also interested in AQN and INE but for some reason they have rallied in the last month out of mouth-watering range, and I don't like to chase rising stocks. NPI seems to just sit there with its low beta and high yield. It had an awful year and I like that. Revenue, earnings and cash flow were up sharply Q3, and the payout ratio fell to 63% (including the DRIP). NPI has a number of projects on the natural-gas burning stove, including a huge offshore wind project in the North Sea. They may have to issue debt and equity to finance this, but I'm OK with that. It will eventually be accretive to cash flow.

Anyway, you know, I read that climate change is coming fast and will hit hard, perhaps much harder than we anticipate. I'm afraid I belong to the camp that believes this to be true, simply because I am experiencing the boiling summers, freaky storms, cold snaps and what not. I feel I should try and do a little to help. So I sold some Husky to buy some Northland Power. Buffett can have his crude-moving trains; Jay will have his solar panels, windmills, and running waters.
Hi Jay. I hold NPI and have for a few years. I wasn't aware the payout ratio had dropped to 63%. I wonder why the price hasn't appreciated considerably. I am looking at BEP.UN to expand the utilities sector as well. At this point, a good chunk of my portfolio is quite dependent on the oil sands and I'd like to 'insure' against being too heavy (no pun intended) there. Back to NPI, I do feel they have bottomed out and that the slew of projects will, finally, start to make it a more stable dividend payer (i.e. getting that payout ratio down). I don't see a huge upside for the price for those who wish to trade this stock.
2 yen
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by 2 yen »

968 LW (Leisureworld) for the TFSA's. Trying to put the high yielders in TFSA's for maximum tax relief. Not interested in trading stocks at this point. So holdings in the TFSA's are ENF, DR and now LW. Next year will likely put NPI or NPR in. NPR is a fairly heavily taxed REIT (appr. 97% taxed last year with 18% of that being capital gains).
Sensei
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Sensei »

Hi,

I have a limit order in for GE @ 27. The plan is to double my (modest) GE holding.

I don't think it is particularly cheap at my limit price (16x forward earnings). However, the 16% dividend increase certainly caught my attention. It now yields about 3.2% and will likely continue to raise the dividend at a double digit rate. Of course the A ratings of credit and quality across the board don't hurt either. I can sleep with it at night, not something I can say about all my holdings.

More importantly, I feel that the GE Capital has been sufficiently reined in and GE is getting back to their core competency of being a widely diversified manufacturing conglomerate. For what they do, the immediate future looks quite bright especially with their reach into developing countries. Aviation, power generation, and infrastructure come to mind.
Cheers

"A dividend being paid today is always a positive return." Josh Peters, Morningstar
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Dow Jones Industrial Average Dividend Growth Rates
......................... 5yr ... 10yr ... 25yr
General Electric -8.62%... 0.26%... 7.95%

http://www.longrundata.com/dow_dividends.php
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
westcoastfella
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westcoastfella »

bought some Dundee International convertible debenture (DI.DB) at just under par. Yields 5.5%, matures in mid 2018. This is the last rung in my 5 year convertible debenture ladder that has been constructed over the past year, the first rung will mature at the end of this year. As a shareholder in DI.UN, I'm relatively familiar with the company so buying their debt was not a stretch.
Note: Discussion on Debentures prompted by this post moved to its own thread.
ModW
Sensei
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Sensei »

BRIAN5000 wrote:Dow Jones Industrial Average Dividend Growth Rates
......................... 5yr ... 10yr ... 25yr
General Electric -8.62%... 0.26%... 7.95%

http://www.longrundata.com/dow_dividends.php
WADR, I assume the point you are making is that dividend growth is pretty bad. Looking at everything from a statistical point of view, you might be nearly half right.

On the other hand, before throwing out the baby with the bath water, a trip down memory lane may help. GE cut their dividend in 2009 of 1.24 down to .40 per share. I think most people know that. The reason was that GE Capital got caught up in the sub-prime mortgage mess. Obviously, this was a bad thing and a lack of oversight by management. In retrospect, the dividend cut was the the right thing to do. That is the substance of my allusion to GE Capital up thread (common knowledge I thought).

I sold GE around that time and left them in the penalty box for two years. Since June 12 2009 the annual dividend has more that doubled from .40 to .88 suggesting annual growth of approximately 17 - 18%. They seem intent on getting back to their former dividend status and with a 53% payout ratio and good prospects for the business (es), they've got room to run. My cost base for GE was $20 quick and dirty, so based on today's price of mid 27s I'm also looking at a 33% capital gain in two years.

You can clip numbers out of charts and make decisions as you wish, but I think the message that GE is telegraphing in my figures above is crystal clear. They're back.
Cheers

"A dividend being paid today is always a positive return." Josh Peters, Morningstar
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

You can clip numbers out of charts and make decisions as you wish, but I think the message that GE is telegraphing in my figures above is crystal clear. They're back.
You may be right. I found the chart interesting and some other parts of the website also. Like the direct comparison of sector dividend stock investing to just buying the ETF for that sector.

http://www.longrundata.com/longrundata/wordpress/
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
bcjmmac
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bcjmmac »

Used our TFSA contributions + a bit of idle cash in the accounts, to pick up ZUT & VEE. Needed a bit of emerging markets & utilities to balance our overall allocations. In general terms, I believe emerging markets should benefit if the US economy picks up. Utilities will likely take a hit depending on how fast int rates rise, but this is adding to a long term holding/willing to see what happens in the long run.
Sensei
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Sensei »

BRIAN5000 wrote:
You may be right. I found the chart interesting and some other parts of the website also. Like the direct comparison of sector dividend stock investing to just buying the ETF for that sector.

http://www.longrundata.com/longrundata/wordpress/
I like the chart.
Cheers

Subby
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Subby »

Keeping Arc Resources on the watch list for now. Still a very rich valuation and a few concerns around natural gas pricing for the medium to long term and the possibility of them going to market to finance their capx. However I think their management stream is strong and understand the industry well.
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by schmuck »

Been waiting for a chance to buy some more Cineplex (CGX), and got my order filled close to today's low.
I assume that the acquisition of 50% of Yo Yo Yogurt was the reason for the stock weakness today. Couldn't find any details of the acquisition cost, but with a debt to capital ratio of 19% and a payout ratio of 70%, I can't imagine that the acquisition would be a great burden to CGX.
westcoastfella
Contributor
Contributor

Post by westcoastfella »

repurchased WJX and MRU in non-registered account - I had sold these in early December as tax-loss harvests, and my 30 days is now over. I ended up getting WJX for about the same as I sold it for, but paid about $2 more per share for MRU.

Also topped up my Perpetual Energy convertible debenture (PMT.DBD) that matures in January 2015 with a small purchase at $99.
ockham
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ockham »

A rung on a 5 yr. GIC ladder matured today....... and so I today (through RBCDI) purchased a 5 yr. GIC at 2.85% (DI's best rate). Pretty boring, but, in part, that's the point. (BTW, the maturing GIC paid at 4.3%).
DividendLuvr
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DividendLuvr »

Initiated a position in Chesswood Group (CHW) @$17.24.
abose
Contributor
Contributor

Post by abose »

DividendLuvr wrote:Initiated a position in Chesswood Group (CHW) @$17.24.
What about this company interests you and why do you think now is a good time to purchase some of it?