What did you sell, what might you sell? (2012)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you sell, what might you sell? (2012)

Post by Springbok »

After reading one too many gloom and doom reports, I have started going through our RRIF portfolios and placing trailing stop orders. Mainly on stocks that have significant gains, but are not core holdings like say the banks.

Hopefully they won't kick in, but if they do we will crystallize the gains. All in RRIFs, so no immediately taxable CGs. With about 60% FI and 20% stop losses, this is an attempt to limit downside on our RRIFs where most of our retirement savings live.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Goodby GWO. Insurance companies will suffer as long as rates stay low.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Equity portfolio hit the highest dollar amount ever yesterday need to find some things to sell again to bring it down a bit. Like to do that after the 21st.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
newguy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by newguy »

BRIAN5000 wrote:Equity portfolio hit the highest dollar amount ever yesterday need to find some things to sell again to bring it down a bit. Like to do that after the 21st.
Maybe you mean 24th?

http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 18#p484418

Don't screw up

newguy
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 07 Feb 2014 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replace old domain name with www.financialwisdomforum.org to reflect new domain name effective 19-Jan-2014
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

newguy wrote:Maybe you mean 24th?
After the 26th on American exchanges.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

newguy wrote:
BRIAN5000 wrote:Equity portfolio hit the highest dollar amount ever yesterday need to find some things to sell again to bring it down a bit. Like to do that after the 21st.
Maybe you mean 24th?

http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 18#p484418

Don't screw up

newguy
Yes I meant after Monday the 21 24.
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 07 Feb 2014 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replace old domain name with www.financialwisdomforum.org to reflect new domain name effective 19-Jan-2014
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
big easy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by big easy »

Sold XRE & CPD in taxable accounts replaced with ZPR (bmo 5 yr fixed resets ladder). Was looking for something to scale back the volatility of my fixed income holdings. ZPR should provide a modest after tax, real return with minimal downside risk (as compared to XRE & CPD). MER is a little high though.

Sold XSB in registered accounts, replaced with GIC ladders and VSC (Vanguard short corporate bond etf).
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

ZPR should provide a modest after tax, real return with minimal downside risk (as compared to XRE & CPD). MER is a little high though.
What's the yield going to be on this? Looks interesting.
northbeach
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by northbeach »

BRIAN5000 wrote:
ZPR should provide a modest after tax, real return with minimal downside risk (as compared to XRE & CPD). MER is a little high though.
The following suggests 4.9%. http://www.etfs.bmo.com/controller/imag ... _pdf_92496

December distribution was .053 which translates to 4.24% yearly.

James Hymas analysis: http://www.prefblog.com/?p=20325
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

northbeach wrote:
BRIAN5000 wrote:
The following suggests 4.9%. http://www.etfs.bmo.com/controller/imag ... _pdf_92496

Thanks! I try to keep up to date but completely missed this one.
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

For an indepth analysis, this months PrefLetter looks at ZPR. A worthwhile read if you're considering purchasing it.

ltr
big easy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by big easy »

northbeach wrote:
BRIAN5000 wrote:

I believe the YTM will be in the range of 3% (James' fixed resets index) less the MER but at least you get the dividend tax credit. I'm not a subscriber to the prefletter. Maybe James will publish an analysis (Cdn Moneysaver).
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

Sold CLC in a tax loss harvesting move and, in my RRSP account, sold BMO @ $61.30 to lock in a substantial gain. I am prepared to buy back some of it if it falls back a couple of dollars. I also have BMO in my non-registered account and have no plans to sell it.
Regards,
Pickles
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Pickles wrote:Sold CLC in a tax loss harvesting move and, in my RRSP account, sold BMO @ $61.30 to lock in a substantial gain. I am prepared to buy back some of it if it falls back a couple of dollars. I also have BMO in my non-registered account and have no plans to sell it.
We have a few duplicated bank & utility stock in registered and unregistered accounts. I can never see taking profits on long term holds like the banks, because I would then have to come up with a better idea!

Of course if we think the fiscal cliff thing will cause a retraction soon and then a recovery later, then that could be an idea but I am not smart enough to predict these things.

We have BMO too and have owned it for 10+ years in both account types. What I am doing with BMO and a few other names, is using them as part of our RRIF withdrawals. That will increase the ACBs and perhaps reduce future CG taxes.

BTW - I also had CLC, but it was in TFSA - Sold it anyway! (Moving slowly to different structure in TFSA.)
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

Springbok, I am factoring all the talk about fiscal cliffs into my decision to lock in the BMO profit now. Were I in in a RRIF situation, I'd have done what you did. Swapping the shares out for a cash exchange into the RRSP would also have been an option until recently, when swaps were banned.
Regards,
Pickles
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Pickles wrote:Springbok, I am factoring all the talk about fiscal cliffs into my decision to lock in the BMO profit now. Were I in in a RRIF situation, I'd have done what you did. Swapping the shares out for a cash exchange into the RRSP would also have been an option until recently, when swaps were banned.
The possible fiscal cliff retraction IS talked about and it would be good to have cash on hand. I happen to have that, but only because a couple of companies have been bought out recently (Viterra for one).

Instead of selling, I have put stop losses on several stocks and will be doing more. Because of that part of my RIM got stopped out at $11.87. Probably just as well considering I already spent part of the gain on accessories :)
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

moved to 2013