What did you sell, what might you sell? (2012)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you sell, what might you sell? (2012)

Post by Pickles »

Londoncalling wrote:Thanks Pickles and my congrats on locking in some profits :thumbsup:
Of course, it was inevitable that RY would increase its dividend immediately after. :roll: Fortunately, I hold RY in my non-registered account,too, so will get a "pay raise" there.
Regards,
Pickles
Londoncalling
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Londoncalling »

Profit is still profit and one should not stray from their investment plan unless they can see that it is seriously flawed. Besides you still got a "raise" :)

Cheers!
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Pickles wrote:
Londoncalling wrote:Thanks Pickles and my congrats on locking in some profits :thumbsup:
Of course, it was inevitable that RY would increase its dividend immediately after. :roll: Fortunately, I hold RY in my non-registered account,too, so will get a "pay raise" there.
Were you aware RY would report its earnings premarket today?
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

BRIAN5000 wrote:
Pickles wrote:
Were you aware RY would report its earnings premarket today?
Yes.
Regards,
Pickles
bindexit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bindexit »

Recently trimmed:

Ivernia (IVW-T) $0.16
Ursa Major Minerals (UMJ-T) $0.12

Re: Both increased in value significantly following recent purchases. They were my risky small cap plays in TFSA and did not have many shares. My trading costs (could say MER) for each is way more than mutual funds! Yesterday, Ursa really rose in value and in the news (detail in link below). I do not really know what each eats/breathes and bought based solely on some stock screening criteria used (documented on FWR).
http://www.reuters.com/finance/stocks/U ... le/2493817
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

Pickles wrote:
Norbert Schlenker wrote:More long standing, and what I figured were absurd, offers on prefs hit the last few days... More cash. What a drag.
Did you consider pow.pr.g or pwf.pr.r as a substitute?
Missed this earlier. At current premiums, these new issues don't make a lot of sense to me. Both issuers have outstanding issues that seem to me to be preferable (and which I already own).
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Sold 1/2 of my Methanex today.

I have had this stock for a long time. Low 30s has been it's usual high, and at times it drops down to about 20. When it gets there, I start to buy back in.

No idea what I am doing, but this has worked several times.

This is a good stock that I like to buy and hate to sell.
blackball
Contributor
Contributor

Post by blackball »

Friday: Sold DPK
Monday: Sold XSB
bindexit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bindexit »

Recently sold:

Vanguard Total World ETF (VT-N) $46.50 (trim)
Anderson Energy (AXL-T) $0.60 (sold out)
Nomura (NMR-N, an ADR) $4.40 (sold out)

Re: Reducing equity weighting and raising cash. I'm trying to market time and seems like a better moment to hold cash rather than invest.
FinEcon
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by FinEcon »

Molycorp buys Neo Material for $1.3-billion
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-in ... le2363776/

The good: it had to happen, Neo was too cheap to continue standalone.

The Bad: the shrinking of the Canadian small cap space continues. Now, I realize that new firms are continually coming up but it seems to me that they don't come up cheap and often don't suffer an event which makes them cheap for some time, if ever.

I will sadly take the money and then rejoice whilst counting my shekels.
Show me the incentive and I will show you the outcome

--Charlie Munger
morleymarkle
Contributor
Contributor

Post by morleymarkle »

Sold all my McKenzie/Saxon Balanced fund in my RRSP before leaving on a trip at the end of February. I've held it for years since it was just Saxon, but will now probably replace it with some combination of XIU/XBB or the like.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Sold 264 Telus @ $57.98 to reduce overweight holding and reduce market exposure a bit.
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Sold 1/2 my Viterra after is jumped on take-over news.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Sold HR.UN. Now out of REITs completely.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Shakespeare wrote:Sold HR.UN. Now out of REITs completely.
I can understand why someone might get out of REITs, but maybe a bit early? If interest rates do rise, what will do better if cash flow is important?

Personally, I have a few individual large REITs like Riocan and Dundee. But also have them as part of SIN.UN and TD Monthly Income. I will probably not change my REIT allocation Even although unit values may drop, cash flow will likely continue and may even increase as inflation drives rents up.

Definitely would like to hear the other side (perhaps in a new thread)
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

maybe a bit early?
I prefer to get out early. I've done well with REITs; I don't think the risk/reward is anywhere as favourable going forward.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
DSinger
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DSinger »

Shakespeare wrote:
maybe a bit early?
I prefer to get out early. I've done well with REITs; I don't think the risk/reward is anywhere as favourable going forward.
What sectors are you considering to reposition these funds?
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Corporate bonds (ZCM, 4%) and high-yield bonds (ZHY, 2.5% with the addition of the HR.UN funds). Note that this totals only a small part of the portfolio.
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

Sold all my REI.UN this week.

Purchased 14 months ago looking for capital appreciation along with the dividend, and have made ~28% over that time.

Trading about 20x AFFO, with a payout a bit better than 100% AFFO, I don't see it appreciating much over the next year.

ltr
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by schmuck »

Trimmed my position in CAR.UN by 2000 shares at 22.14 just in case Shakes is right about REITs being so vulnerable to higher rates. :( At least I got my order filled before the bigger plunge later in the day.

Also dumped a bunch of CU long bonds just in case the recent bond jitters are for real. :(
Sure glad I got rid of 90% of my RRBs about a month ago. :)

Still think that Obama will do everything he can to keep the lid on int rates in an election year.
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

In the past week, I've sold the small positions of BNS and CNR I purchased a short time earlier for quick gains in my RRSP account. I had made this short-term investment to mark some time before investing in another GIC/bond to replace a rung in my ladder.
Regards,
Pickles
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

Pickles wrote:In the past week, I've sold the small positions of BNS and CNR I purchased a short time earlier for quick gains in my RRSP account. I had made this short-term investment to mark some time before investing in another GIC/bond to replace a rung in my ladder.
How does one determine which stocks to purchase for quick gains while marking time to purchase something else? Is there a formula or screening technique? Is it safe to presume that you are also prepared to accept quick losses? If you can make quick gains this way, why lock into a GIC at today's low rates?

Signed,
A somewhat peculiar buy and hold investor :wink:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

Peculiar_Investor wrote:How does one determine which stocks to purchase for quick gains while marking time to purchase something else? Is there a formula or screening technique?
I pick Blue chip dividend stocks I have been following for more than two years. Usually they have a higher dividend yield than CNR but, I made an exception with CNR. When it went below $76, I was comfortable buying it for a quick sell (I sold it at $79).
Is it safe to presume that you are also prepared to accept quick losses?
Short-term temporary paper losses, yes. I collect the dividend until I can sell at a profit. Sunlife is an exception. I sold at a loss because I expected a dividend cut and further devaluation (I was wrong).

With BMO stock, I changed my mind at the time to sell and decided to keep indefinitely (since I was underweight BMO in my non-registered account).
If you can make quick gains this way, why lock into a GIC at today's low rates?
I hate to, but keeping my RRSP money safe is my priority. Knowing my RRSP money was safe bought valuable peace of mind when the market (and the value of my non-registered account) plummeted in 2008. 0% or minus 1% after inflation is better than -25%. At no time do I have more than 10% of RRSP money in stocks.

Like others here, it is really hard to lock money in for 5 years at a dismal rate. I have extended my ladder to 8 years and warped the rungs a bit but have stuck with the concept of the bond/GIC ladder in my RRSP. Making an extra chunk of money before rolling maturing investments back into the ladder helps to make the current low returns palatable.
Signed,
A somewhat peculiar buy and hold investor :wink:
Ditto! :wink:
Regards,
Pickles
flywaysuzy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by flywaysuzy »

I also sold bns stock I held separately, a few weeks ago, along with some Agrium that had gone up a bit. I bought back the agu on another dip and am now eyeing the higher price this morning. I think I'll just sit on it a while.
I'm also trying to shift more gic money into the rrsps. It is hard as I have no new contribution room so am having to wait to sell things or wait until the dividends pile up.
suzy
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

flywaysuzy wrote: I'm also trying to shift more gic money into the rrsps. It is hard as I have no new contribution room so am having to wait to sell things or wait until the dividends pile up.
Me too. I have a small amount of contribution room left for later but I'm focused on growing my RRSP safely without contributions for now. Approximately 15% of the portfolio matures annually. My goal is to add an extra 5% - 10% to the amount maturing, through short-term stock investments, then re-invest in the next step of the ladder. If I am successful, this adds about 75 basis points to the year's return for the whole RRSP portfolio plus it grows the amount re-invested by 5% -10%.

Being unable to swap investments between my RRSP and my non-registered account hasn't made my managing any easier. I have some bonds and GICs in my non-registered account that I would like to swap for the BMO shares in the RRSP. The rule change took place shortly after I bought the shares.
Regards,
Pickles