What did you sell, what might you sell? (2012)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: What did you sell, what might you sell? (2012)

Post by adrian2 »

Shine wrote:Noticed that BPO filed the other day for Q1 with significant losses.
Huh?
Brookfield Office Properties Inc. (NYSE: BPO) (TSX: BPO) announced on April 11, 2012 that its 2012 first quarter results will be released prior to the market open on Friday, May 4, 2012. Analysts, investors and other interested parties are invited to participate in the company's live conference call reviewing the results on Friday, May 4 at 11:00am (ET). Scheduled speakers are Ric Clark, chief executive officer, and Bryan Davis, chief financial officer.

[...]

Brookfield Office Properties will hold its Annual General Meeting of shareholders on Thursday, May 3 at 11:00am (ET) at Three World Financial Center, 200 Vesey Street, 26th Floor in New York City.
Time travel?
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

adrian2 wrote:
Shine wrote:Noticed that BPO filed the other day for Q1 with significant losses.
Huh?
Wrong Brookfield I suspect
Brookfield Real Estate Services Inc. (BRE-T13.73-0.14-1.01%) has reported a near doubling of its net loss in the three months ended March 31.

The company, which generates cash flow from franchise royalties and services from residential real estate brokers and realtors, said its first-quarter net loss was $3.2-million or 34 cents per restricted voting share. That compared with a net loss of $1.8-million in the same 2011 period.
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
Shine
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shine »

Yes I did have it wrong. :oops:

Still, I wonder if REIT's are getting rich?
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Shakespeare wrote:I don't like the volatility of lifecos. I'd just as soon invest somewhere else.
And GWO is down 6.7% right now. :roll:
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

Shakespeare wrote:
Shakespeare wrote:I don't like the volatility of lifecos. I'd just as soon invest somewhere else.
If it drops another $1 I'm in. What was so bad in the earnings report?
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
schmuck
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by schmuck »

Shakespeare wrote:
Wow! Great timing Shakes :thumbsup:
Did you have any suspicians other than the volatility?

I'm not as extravagant as Brian...but it will be hard to resist below $20.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Did you have any suspicians other than the volatility?
I think it will take the lifecos some years to recover. But I wish I'd sold 200, not 100 - still have 200 left....
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

I think it will take the lifecos some years to recover.
Perhaps, but how important is that as long as they keep pumping out those great dividends?

ltr
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

High-beta stocks are traders, not holders. I will buy GWO again below $20.
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

Shakespeare wrote:High-beta stocks are traders, not holders. I will buy GWO again below $20.
You're a better player than me for sure.

A stock like GWO with a beta of 1.071 doesn't move enough to overcome the great dividend it pays while I wait to re-buy it. The cap gain gets eaten away by the missed dividend while I sit on the sidelines.

I'm no good at that game. I like to buy low and hold. I've been experimenting this year with a DOGS tactic for the majority of my stocks, but I still hold some core stocks that I like to buy low and keep. GWO is starting to look good.

ltr
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

I don't normally trade, but will add GWO to drop my initial cost, which was around $30. With dividends, I'm about break even.

I know you aren't supposed to worry about the initial cost, but losing money p|sses me off. :x
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

like_to_retire wrote:
A stock like GWO with a beta of 1.071 doesn't move enough to overcome the great dividend it pays while I wait to re-buy it. The cap gain gets eaten away by the missed dividend while I sit on the sidelines.

I'm no good at that game. I like to buy low and hold. I've been experimenting this year with a DOGS tactic for the majority of my stocks, but I still hold some core stocks that I like to buy low and keep. GWO is starting to look good.

ltr
In my income portfolio my procedure is to sell any stock that gives me a gain greater than 3 times the dividend. If the market wants to give me 3 years income up front I’m going to take it.

If the stock has gone up that much, there is probably another stock, of equal quality, out there with a better dividend. So by taking the capital gain you accomplish 2 things.

You have 3 years income in your pocket and you have replaced the stock you sold with one that pays more. Seems like a no brainer to me.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
FinEcon
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by FinEcon »

deaddog wrote:
like_to_retire wrote:

ltr
In my income portfolio my procedure is to sell any stock that gives me a gain greater than 3 times the dividend. If the market wants to give me 3 years income up front I’m going to take it.

If the stock has gone up that much, there is probably another stock, of equal quality, out there with a better dividend. So by taking the capital gain you accomplish 2 things.

You have 3 years income in your pocket and you have replaced the stock you sold with one that pays more. Seems like a no brainer to me.
Not a knock on your strategy but consider the result when you employ that on a firm like Constellation Software. Do you attempt to mitigate this possiblity by shunning high growth potential, low dividend stocks?

Heck, I'm just going off the top of my head here but I think the same outcome applies to Atco, Enbridge, Couche Tard, CP, etc in recent history. Seems kind of like trying to steal blinds with pocket aces. Shouldn't you attempt to ride a good hand for all its worth?
Show me the incentive and I will show you the outcome

--Charlie Munger
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

FinEcon wrote:Not a knock on your strategy but consider the result when you employ that on a firm like Constellation Software. Do you attempt to mitigate this possiblity by shunning high growth potential, low dividend stocks?

Heck, I'm just going off the top of my head here but I think the same outcome applies to Atco, Enbridge, Couche Tard, CP, etc in recent history. Seems kind of like trying to steal blinds with pocket aces. Shouldn't you attempt to ride a good hand for all its worth?
I only use this strategy in my income-producing portfolio. I only hold high dividend payers. However even with a growth portfolio you should have an exit strategy.

As for the poker analogy; Pocket aces is the best starting hand however it’s only a pair, one of the lowest ranking hands in the game. Like the market, if you don’t have an exit strategy, it can cost you a lot of money.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations, well, I have really good days" RW Hubbard
eezee
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by eezee »

"As for the poker analogy; Pocket aces is the best starting hand however it’s only a pair, one of the lowest ranking hands in the game."

Sorry for being somewhat off topic, but I could not resist.

Many years ago, in a friendly, not very high stakes poker game, dealer's choice. The hand was 7 cards low in the hole.

My 2 down cards were Aces, the 4 up cards were an ace and king and the others were non descript. One other guy was working on a Royal flush and kept bumping. My last (down card) was the other Ace, I had 4 wild cards, the aces, so I had 5 Kings, and could not be beaten. When I bumped he was surprised.
P.S. I won the hand
I am going to live forever .... so far so good.
freedom_2008
Contributor
Contributor

Post by freedom_2008 »

deaddog wrote: In my income portfolio my procedure is to sell any stock that gives me a gain greater than 3 times the dividend. If the market wants to give me 3 years income up front I’m going to take it.

Interesting idea. We got GWO last year (at about $20) to hold for the dividend. We don't sell normally unless the dividend yield drops to 3%. Maybe we should have sold them based on the gain, but then you have to pay tax on it, while we don't need to pay tax on the dividend now. Hmm, to do or not to do?
“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react.” — Charles R. Swindoll
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

freedom_2008 wrote: Interesting idea. We got GWO last year (at about $20) to hold for the dividend. We don't sell normally unless the dividend yield drops to 3%. Maybe we should have sold them based on the gain, but then you have to pay tax on it, while we don't need to pay tax on the dividend now. Hmm, to do or not to do?
Seeing as how we are not discussing specific sells, let’s move this conversation to portfolios; position and performance.

http://www.financialwisdomforum.org/for ... 25#p466725
Last edited by Peculiar_Investor on 07 Feb 2014 07:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: replace old domain name with www.financialwisdomforum.org to reflect new domain name effective 19-Jan-2014
biker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by biker »

Sold RioCan (REI.UN) in spouse' account. Loved that stock ! Bought first 10 years ago and doubled down in 09.But she wants cash for a new car.
Live like you are dying but invest like you are immortal.

"Men do not quit playing because they grow old ; they grow old because they quit playing" Oliver Wendell Holmes
bindexit
Contributor
Contributor

Post by bindexit »

Recent sells:

AT&T (T-N) $33 US
Corby's (CDL.B) $15

Re: Raising funds from these steady "eddies" as I plan on buying more riskier investments that have been pummelled lately.
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

biker wrote:Sold RioCan (REI.UN) in spouse' account. Loved that stock ! Bought first 10 years ago and doubled down in 09.But she wants cash for a new car.
A new car is not a a good investment ;)

PS: I have Riocan in several accounts and keep it through thick and thin.
vince2
Contributor
Contributor

Post by vince2 »

Sold out TEF @ 12.56 (-29%) including dividends. I was bargaining on their South American operations to pull them through but read an article recently that both Argentina and Brazil have become somewhat oversold WRT cellphones, and their debt to equity ratio has become a worry (it has crept up).
Sold half of IGM @ 39.33 (+3.2%) and intend to sell the rest when it bounces. The reasons for selling them have been discussed by other members.
'A slow death to those who become slaves of habit, who repeat the same track every day, who do not change pace, who do not risk and change the colour of their clothes, who do not talk and who do not learn.'
Pablo Neruda
Pickles
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Pickles »

On Friday, I redeemed a cashable GIC in my RRSP account to buy some BNS on a dip. Today, I sold BNS for a quick 3% return and will likely reinvest in another cashable at the end of the week.
Regards,
Pickles
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

And what would you have done if BNS had reported bad results and dropped 3%? :twisted:

"Croupier! The same bet, but red, not black, this time!"
deaddog
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by deaddog »

I'll bet she takes off her traders hat and puts on her investors hat; Turns a trade into an investment; sits back and collects the dividends until a reasonable capital gain is realized.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

"A long-term investment is a trade that went down in price." :mrgreen: