Portfolio Gain/Loss by year end 2011. TSX down 11%

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
bpither
Contributor
Contributor

Portfolio Gain/Loss by year end 2011. TSX down 11%

Post by bpither »

Happy New Year Everyone!
I might as well start it off since I'm pleased as punch ... and I'm no genius.

Up 9% on the year including dividends.
No gold, no resource stocks, primarily dividend paying assets.

Biggest Winners : ENB +37%, RioCan +27%, Abbott Labs +26% (CDN$ adjusted), TRP +21% and a wack of Perpetual Preferreds.
Biggest Losers: PWF -13%, XHY -2%

Best Trade: changing 6% of my cash position into US dollars during the spring

Still 20% cash and waiting ... patiently :thumbsup:
Last edited by bpither on 31 Dec 2011 16:33, edited 4 times in total.
"We have two classes of forecaster: Those who don’t know and those who don’t know they don’t know.” John Kenneth Galbraith
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Portfolio Gain/Loss by year end 2011. TSX down 11%

Post by Shakespeare »

About +6%, corrected for withdrawals.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

I haven't updated my spreadsheet since May 14th, so no idea how we are doing.

I do know we are up 42% since October 2003 (retirement date) not accounting for about 4% pa withdrawals.
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

The TSX was down 11%, but a better comparison for diversified Cdn equity portfolios is the S&P/TSX Composite Total Return index. It looks like that was down 8.71%. (I estimated that by taking the actual change through Dec 29 from GlobeInvestor data, and linking on the TSX change for today, Dec 30.)

It looks like my directly held stock portfolio IRR this year was about -8.82%. How aggravating is that, to underperform the benchmark by 11 basis points :!: Maybe Vanguard will hire me. :lol:

Overall return will have to wait for mutual fund data etc.
Sensei
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Sensei »

Hi,

It is well before any final reconciliation, but if anyone wants to know, here are some preliminary results. I run separate Canadian and US portfolios.

Canada

Current brokerage balance including reinvested dividends
minus
Cash deposits
minus
Dec. 31, 2010 balance

.4% down IOW flat

Three character-building experiences this year, YLO, CTU, and SLF, certainly contributed to this anemic performance.

US
minus
Cash deposits
minus
Dec. 31, 2010 balance

up 23%

Non-stock portfolios were a disaster because of investments in Europe and Asia as well as currency depreciation. Too early to tell exactly, but probably at least a 10% loss.

Probably overall, a flat year.
Cheers

"A dividend being paid today is always a positive return." Josh Peters, Morningstar
Londoncalling
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Londoncalling »

After the dust settled on my first year of DIY investing I finished at -7.26% inclusive of dividends and fees on my equities portfolio which beat the TSX Comp and the TSX Total Return Index mentioned above. I am ok with this return as it is way better than I would have done with my FP this year. I do expect my performance to improve over time as I anticipate lower fees(less trades). I haven`t calculated my year end for my entire portfolio but would estimate it at slightly below even.

My winners this year were:

Picking up IPL in May at an ACB of 16.10 and most recently RY at an ACB of 44.75. IPL may be overvalued but am hesitant to sell as I still like the company`s fundamentals and plan to hold this long term as it increased the div this year and I can see that becoming a habit with this company. Like most on this board I am not a trader. So I am not likely to sell any positions unless I see the need for money.

Mistakes I made this year:

I jumped the gun on CCO with an ACB of 24.82. From that purchase I learned the market doesn't necessarily move as fast as one may think. I am still receiving an accidental `yield` of nearly 2%. I can wait for nuclear energy to rebound as again I bought this with the thought that it may be years before the stock rebounds to previous highs. The other mistake I made was EXE. I learned that I need better DD on my research as I purchased this before truly understanding the business. It was one of my first individual stock purchases. I had little understanding of its operations. Had I known it relied for most of its revenue from the US gov`t I probably would have sent my $ elsewhere. All in all, it could have been worse. I look forward to improving my understanding of investing in the next year and look forward to finding more opportunities that become present in the market.

Happy New Year!

Cheers :beer:
Last edited by Londoncalling on 30 Dec 2011 21:21, edited 1 time in total.
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Portfolio gain/loss should not be compared to the TSE.

The FPX Balanced, a reasonable benchmark, is up 2.9%.
Sic transit gloria mundi. Tuesday is usually worse. - Robert A. Heinlein, Starman Jones
IdOp
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by IdOp »

Since 31 Dec 2010:

FPX Growth: -1.71 %

FPX Balanced: +2.68 %

FPX Income: +5.85 %
Springbok
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Springbok »

Shakespeare wrote:Portfolio gain/loss should not be compared to the TSE.

The FPX Balanced, a reasonable benchmark, is up 2.9%.

That would seem to be a better benchmark for those with a balanced portfolio. That is for us retired folk ;)

Just did a Q&D check. As it turns out, our final balance is almost identical to last year end's balance. We drew about 4% over the year (I think), but with closing the RBCDI account, it will take some digging to get actual numbers.

In rough terms, up 4% for year from a balanced portfolio containing about 40% fixed income.
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

Up about 5%, net of inflation of 3%, and not counting new money. (I've heard about the Beardstown ladies.) My RRBs saved me. And to think I'm holding them for capital preservation, not gains. :shock:

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
brad911
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by brad911 »

Canadian dividend portfolio up just over 10.1% this year (including dividends). Not bad considering it was one of the more boring years I've had investing!
Last edited by brad911 on 01 Jan 2012 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
Triage Investing Blog - A Source for Value & Dividend Investing and Business Fundamentals
j831robert
Contributor
Contributor

Post by j831robert »

Yah, here we go again with my simplistic calculations based purely on the cash value of my portfolio (s) including cash held in ING accounts 30 Dec 11 vice 31 Dec 10 - UP 9.3% - all Canadian dividend paying equity except for a small percentage in a RRB fund (and, of course the cash money). We live pretty well within just our pensions income so dividends etc are either funnelled into our ING accounts or reinvested, e.g. my annual manditory minimal RRIF withdrawal will never see the inside of my wallet before being invested in a non-registered account. Actual dollar value increase just North of 100K. Not a bad year !
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

XIRR of +5.17% on the weighted average of the various portfolios excluding cash accounts. 10 yr. CAGR is running at 8.33% weighted average. Compare to FPX Balanced over the same period at 5.22%

Highlights of the year included returns earned on RRBs as well as those from provincial bonds which led to a 2011 return on our bond ladder of 9.51%

Lowlights of the year included YLO preferred shares which have declined pretty close to 90% of the market price.
Last edited by scomac on 31 Dec 2011 08:52, edited 2 times in total.
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
Shine
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shine »

Back of envelope calculation is -4.7% overall however this does not include reinvested dividends.

Highlight - Computer Modelling Group (CMG)

Lowlight - Thompson Reuters (TRI)
MALDI_ToF
Contributor
Contributor

Post by MALDI_ToF »

Rough estimate was about 5%. Some lucky timing on my purchases of some US money helped a lot.

Best USD: PM 39%
Worst USD: KO 9% ...gotta love it when your worst performer is almost double digits :mrgreen:

Best CDN: PPL 46%
Worst CDN: YLO -20% (could have been worse so I'm glad I got out)

Overall, a good year. Some up, some down but overall up thanks to our dollar, my CDN Bond Index fund, smokers and fast food eaters :)
It will be interesting to see what next year has in store and I can't wait to max out my TFSA on Tuesday!!
Give a man a fish, and that man knows where to come for fish. Teach a man to fish, and you've just destroyed your market base.
Sensei
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Sensei »

Hi,

I wrote:
US
minus
Cash deposits
minus
Dec. 31, 2010 balance

up 23%
After a more careful check, the calculation is the same, but the percentage is 16.5%. Still fairly pleased. I attribute this to heavy weightings in US utilities, telecoms, health care, and tobacco all of which did well this year.

Non-stock portfolios were a disaster because of investments in Europe and Asia as well as currency depreciation. Too early to tell exactly, but probably at least a 10% loss.
A more accurate figure is 16% underwater. The reasons remain the same. No exposure to US, Canadian or UK stocks (except for US and UK small caps funds. Exposure to Europe, Asian, and Latin America.

Overall portfolio performance in C$: up <1%

That said, the total return is not that important. The dividend income continues to increase and that's what really counts. Maybe we should post some of those results on Power of Dividend Growth.
Cheers

"A dividend being paid today is always a positive return." Josh Peters, Morningstar
EmperorCoder
Contributor
Contributor

Post by EmperorCoder »

After two painful years of underperformance, I staged a spectacular return to the mean this year :P

Return of 16.8% using XIRR on the aggregate of all accounts I manage for myself.

Mostly invested in US equities, and thus avoided the TSX debacle.

Six-year annualized return is 11.2%
Last edited by EmperorCoder on 31 Dec 2011 08:05, edited 1 time in total.
EmperorCoder
Contributor
Contributor

Post by EmperorCoder »

scomac wrote:XIRR of +5.17% corrected for withdrawals
Scomac, what do you mean by "corrected for withdrawals" ? Doesn't XIRR deal with it already ?
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

EmperorCoder wrote:
scomac wrote:XIRR of +5.17% corrected for withdrawals
Scomac, what do you mean by "corrected for withdrawals" ? Doesn't XIRR deal with it already ?
Point taken. :oops:
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
Shakespeare
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Shakespeare »

Brokerage data this morning give +5.4%, corrected for withdrawals, and a new total return high, exceeding May, 2011.

I'm aware others have done better, but am pleased with that.
Spidey
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Spidey »

Just barely in positive territory with an IRR of 1.75%.* I'm 41% fixed income and 59% equity. My stock picking portfolio did quite well and is up by about 13% (all dividend payers), but my registered accounts which are mostly passive portfolios were not as good and also suffered further from a couple of unfortunately timed purchases.

* Slight correction since first post.
Last edited by Spidey on 31 Dec 2011 19:28, edited 3 times in total.
If life seems jolly rotten, then there's something you've forgotten -- and that's to laugh and smile and dance and sing. - Eric Idle
snowback96
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by snowback96 »

Current estimate is that I'm within spitting distance of the FPX Growth index at around -2%. Hurt by Canadian resources and EM on the equity side. Very short duration on FI also didn't help (i.e. lots sitting in high interest savings accounts). No worries as I'm still well ahead over the last 3 years. :D
Rickson9
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Rickson9 »

I was down 3% for 2011, dropping my 14 year avg annual return to 15%. 2011 marks the 4th year in the same period where I failed to beat the S&P500.

Performance of pervious years are documented at http://www.ticonline.com

"The return I achieved in 2010 is not repeatable, should not be considered a reflection of my investment skill and, if anything, foreshadows a very bad 2011 for me."
"We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are." - Anais Nin
iluvnascar
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by iluvnascar »

At only 1.88%, 2011 was my 2nd worst year ever (2008 was my worst year at 1.36%). I have been investing since December 1997 - my average year (14 years) had been 15.10% and so I had high hopes for 2011. But it was not meant to be.....and now I think I'll be adopting a far more conservative strategy.

I'll be quite happy with 5% going forward.
Descartes
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Descartes »

Return on invest-able assets:
2011: 7.7%
2010: 7.0%
2009: 9.6%
While it appears to be an improvement in 2011 from the previous year, it's mainly due to an increase in asset allocation risk from 35% common+preferreds to a current 54%.

On the whole, I'm happy with the progress and I want to thank you people for helping:
I greatly appreciate you sharing your financial observations and opinions (although I've been impatient with some at times ;) ) and for allowing me to test my opinions against you.

I wish you all the best in the new year!
"A dividend is a dictate of management. A capital gain is a whim of the market."