A 2012 FWF Hedge Fund Contest

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: A 2012 FWF Hedge Fund Contest

Post by adrian2 »

kcowan wrote:I notice that ROM.TO has an opening price of $14.80 for the longs and $14.95 for the shorts. Is there something I don't understand?
I'm guessing you're referring to RIM.
Norbert Schlenker wrote:Peter gets a 1% bonus for the name Fund 51.
May I note, in passing, that my hedge fund is in the second half of the table, but I'm currently getting the best long entry: BAC +72.7 %. Of course, the shorts are killing me.
Last edited by adrian2 on 28 Mar 2012 14:01, edited 1 time in total.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

adrian2 wrote:
kcowan wrote:I notice that RiM.TO has an opening price of $14.80 for the longs and $14.95 for the shorts. Is there something I don't understand?
I'm guessing you're referring to RIM.
Norbert Schlenker wrote:Peter gets a 1% bonus for the name Fund 51.
Yes thanks and thanks. :rofl:
For the fun of it...Keith
kcowan
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by kcowan »

I have the honour of selecting 2 of Canada's fastest growing companies according to Fortune for 2011:
13 Lulu
16 SLW
100 fastest growing companies worldwide in 2011
Had I selected them correclty, I would be scoring in contention for the leadership in 2012 with an overall currently of 37.8 good for second place.

Luckily I only hold one of these picks (Lulu). I am interested in whether anyone else actually holds/held their picks here?
For the fun of it...Keith
Insomniac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Insomniac »

kcowan wrote: I am interested in whether anyone else actually holds/held their picks here?
No, thank goodness!

Well, I do have XIC which holds my picks.
ghariton
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by ghariton »

kcowan wrote:I have the honour of selecting 2 of Canada's fastest growing companies according to Fortune for 2011:
13 Lulu
16 SLW
100 fastest growing companies worldwide in 2011
Had I selected them correclty, I would be scoring in contention for the leadership in 2012 with an overall currently of 37.8 good for second place.

Luckily I only hold one of these picks (Lulu). I am interested in whether anyone else actually holds/held their picks here?
Certainly not.

The only individual shares I own are 150 Cisco. (I can't remember why I bought them, but they're no longer worth enough to bother selling them.)

George
The juice is worth the squeeze
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

Unconfirmed final results for 2012 are at http://libra-investments.com/hf/fwf-2012-final.html

I have other commitments this evening, as it's New Years Eve, so my plan is to vet everything and produce a final final during some televised bowl game tomorrow.

Happy New Year to all.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
peter
Contributor
Contributor

Post by peter »

I hold both GIL and ECA as part of a misguided attempt to not pay fees for a Canadian index and to avoid some of the financial/resources weight in the index. I shorted ABX and RIM in the hedge fund competition but don't short for real and don't own either.

I shorted RIM because I think it's unlikely it will survive, and ABX because of a feeling gold is overvalued and mining (the process) will be unpopular and/or difficult (labor wise), not based any real insights. My pick of GIL for the hedge fund competition was based largely on comments from CIBC a bit more than a year ago, when the company was really down after some issues with cotton prices. I have ca. 15 individual Canadian stocks plus XGD (small amount from my first asset allocation, now down to something like 0.5%) , XIC, XIU. The individual stocks include TLM and SU, which I picked for long in the 2013 hedge fund competition.

I'll have to decide whether to buy more individual Canadian stocks or just buy the index going forward but it's not a big issue this year, most new money will go into US and international index funds. If I do buy new Canadian stocks they'll be in the top ten of XIU that I don't have yet. In addition to avoiding index fees I also had/have a faint inclination towards value tilt and at least for a while a very low tax rate for dividends in the particular account that holds them.
Norbert Schlenker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Norbert Schlenker »

I've been through the list carefully now and I believe everything is kosher.

Congratulations to peter on his convincing first place and a big thank you for explaining why he chose as he did.

Someone always has to trail the field, appropriate that it was the Titanic Fund in 2012.
Nothing can protect people who want to buy the Brooklyn Bridge.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

I'll nominate myself for an honourable mention since my long picks (Citigroup and Bank of America) went up the most (74%). The rationale for picking them was very contrarian in spirit, since (almost) everybody hated the big American banks, and praised quite similar entities north of the border. I kept them for this year's long picks, both here and at Bogleheads.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
like_to_retire
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by like_to_retire »

adrian2 wrote:I'll nominate myself for an honourable mention since my long picks (Citigroup and Bank of America) went up the most (74%). The rationale for picking them was very contrarian in spirit, since (almost) everybody hated the big American banks, and praised quite similar entities north of the border. I kept them for this year's long picks, both here and at Bogleheads.
I also got a kick out of your shorts Adrian2.

You can't pick a loser even when you try... hehehe

ltr