Preferreds

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
Koogie
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Preferreds

Post by Koogie »

adrian2 wrote: 14 Dec 2017 10:31 For subscribers only. :(
Free online through the PressReader site from your local library.
milton
Contributor
Contributor

Post by milton »

For subscribers only. :(
Try turning off cookies in your browser. I'm not subscriber either, but with cookies turned off can view that article and others. :D
pmj
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by pmj »

I'm sure I read it here - when the page first loads, if you click the "X" at the right side of the URL, _before_ it changes to the reload symbol, the subscriber-only message won't load.
Peter

Patrick Hutber: Improvement means deterioration
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

DavidR wrote: 14 Dec 2017 10:54 The article mentions Fortis, Manulife etc but there is no specific discussion other than this rationale:
Mr. Grieve calculated that if the bond yield rises to 2.5 per cent, the Fortis preferred shares would be reset at 5.8 per cent, and could send the share price back up to par – implying a gain of $8 a share from the current level, or 47 per cent.
That article may come back to haunt. GoC5 has been falling recently (from about 1.8% three months ago to about 1.65% today) and that is being reflected in the bottom falling out of at least some fixed reset market prices. A return to 2.5% any time in the medium term seems fanciful at the current time.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by BRIAN5000 »

New Issue: CM FixedReset, 4.50%+245, NVCC-compliant
http://prefblog.com/?p=35977

Maybe I'm not reading very well but is this and the new National Bank issue not offering a floor interest rate? Are all the new ones dropping this feature?

National Bank of Canada 4.60% 5-Year Rate Reset Preferred Shares, Series 40
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

No minimum. I suspect they believe they don't have to offer a minimum any more given GoC5 is blowing through 2% and market sentiment is for higher bond yields. That said, James did say this appears to be an expensive issue so it will be interesting how well the market receives it.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

BRIAN5000 wrote: 11 Jan 2018 17:24 New Issue: CM FixedReset, 4.50%+245, NVCC-compliant

Maybe I'm not reading very well but is this and the new National Bank issue not offering a floor interest rate? Are all the new ones dropping this feature?

Bank preferreds (NVCC compliant) have never offered a floor interest rate.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
jiHymas
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by jiHymas »

adrian2 wrote: 11 Jan 2018 17:51
BRIAN5000 wrote: 11 Jan 2018 17:24 New Issue: CM FixedReset, 4.50%+245, NVCC-compliant

Bank preferreds (NVCC compliant) have never offered a floor interest rate.
OSFI will not accept a floor rate as part of a Tier 1 issue. See New Issue: RY FixedReset 5.50%+453
fireseeker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by fireseeker »

The split share cos. have been spewing out equity recently via overnight offerings. I just tried to sign up for an allocation of LCS.PR.A, but got nothing. These have been reliable short-term money-makers, buying com-free at the offering price and selling back into the market later.
Eleven months ago, I did get 80% of my request for FTN.PR.A.
I'm with BMOIL, 5-star client, but probably a poor fee generator due to a lack of trades and almost no mutual fund holdings.
I'm curious whether other pref investors have been able to get into these offerings from online brokerages. Or are all the pref shares being snagged by richer clients, perhaps on the full-service side?
Arby
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Arby »

TDDI's new offers for split shares only allows for an expression of interest in either the Class A units or the Matched Units (i.e. Class A unit plus Preferred unit). AFAIK, TDDI's new issue offerings have never included the standalone preferred split share units. I suspect that you are correct that the brokers offer the preferred units to their full service clients, and flog the Matched Units and Class A units to the discount brokers suckers.

If you're very patient, you can often buy the split share units on the open market at below face value, although you might have to wait a few years.
big easy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by big easy »

So BNS.PR.A has a redemption date of April 2018 and every five years thereafter. Since this is a not NVCC compliant, I presume this issue will be called in April as it is the last call date before the Jan 2022 deadline for these shares to be counted as Tier 1 capital. Or is it possible they could wait until 2023? Is 2022 a hard deadline or does it just mean they have to raise more Tier 1 capital from other sources to make up for it?
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson
big easy
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by big easy »

big easy wrote: 06 Feb 2018 15:58 So BNS.PR.A has a redemption date of April 2018 and every five years thereafter. Since this is a not NVCC compliant, I presume this issue will be called in April as it is the last call date before the Jan 2022 deadline for these shares to be counted as Tier 1 capital. Or is it possible they could wait until 2023? Is 2022 a hard deadline or does it just mean they have to raise more Tier 1 capital from other sources to make up for it?
I noticed on Prefblog that BNS had announced on March 23 that they will indeed redeem the issue and the associated fixed reset BNS.PR.P on April 26. So it seems these non-NVCC issues will be called at par, prior to 2022 where possible. Hopefully, the same thing will happen for the insurance company issues eventually.
"Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." Mike Tyson
gdogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gdogg »

For Preferreds, I have a bunch of the CPD ETF but am considering switching to DXP instead. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions on either ETF, or other products?

Although I'm a big fan of index ETFs, it's possible that the preferred market is one area where active management might be beneficial over passive. The ones that track indexes are constantly switching out old shares (often at a discount) for new ones issued at $25. Also, these guys say they use it for all their model portfolios: http://www.turnerinvestments.ca/pdfs/17 ... eature.pdf.

The drawbacks I see with DXP are that the full list of holdings don't seem to be available, and it has about 1/4 the trading volume of CPD. Any thoughts? Thanks!
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

No opinion, but the word 'active' means? And not so sure why BlackRock wants to team up with Dynamic. I presume you have considered ZPR as well?
gdogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gdogg »

AltaRed wrote: 24 Apr 2018 21:27 No opinion, but the word 'active' means? And not so sure why BlackRock wants to team up with Dynamic. I presume you have considered ZPR as well?
Well, "active" meaning that they are not totally beholden to the index. Meaning that they can potentially add value in certain circumstances - the index may be forced to have too many of the wrong types of preferred shares (fixed or rate reset, depending) during periods of rising or falling interest rates, or have a ton of beaten down ones nearing the $25 redemption cap. Not being forced into this is a positive feature, if well managed (that's the caveat, I guess). This is more of an issue with the preferreds market; as previously stated I am a big fan of index ETFs on the equity side.

I considered HPR and ZPR as well, and am still in the info gathering phase.
Peculiar_Investor
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Peculiar_Investor »

If you haven't already found it and are still gathering information, the best resource without a doubt, for Canadian preferred shares are the websites of FWF member James Hymas. Check out PrefInfo - from Hymas Investment Management Inc. and his daily blog PrefBlog.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki New editors wanted and welcomed, please help collaborate and improve the wiki.

Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

Peculiar_Investor wrote: 25 Apr 2018 10:26 If you haven't already found it and are still gathering information, the best resource without a doubt, for Canadian preferred shares are the websites of FWF member James Hymas. Check out PrefInfo - from Hymas Investment Management Inc. and his daily blog PrefBlog.
Also note that his fund, Malachite Aggressive Preferred Fund, has consistently trounced the competition over all time periods.

In this case, I do expect past performance to be indicative of future results.
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

That is kind of where I was headed. Does one want an untested...... pseudo-active preferred ETF with a team (Dynamic) that hasn't exactly scorched the earth with performance of their mutual fund offerings in the past, or does one go straight to the guru of active preferred management?
gdogg
Contributor
Contributor

Post by gdogg »

Great, thanks for the links, guys. Though if I'm reading his fund information correctly, the requirements for investing in his fund are rather high. His segregated fund, a little less high. I'm aiming smaller in terms of how much I am willing to invest in preferreds.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

gdogg wrote: 25 Apr 2018 20:48 Great, thanks for the links, guys. Though if I'm reading his fund information correctly, the requirements for investing in his fund are rather high. His segregated fund, a little less high. I'm aiming smaller in terms of how much I am willing to invest in preferreds.
The horse's mouth wrote:Note that the previous qualifier, for "those who will invest at least $150,000 in the fund are also eligible" has been repealed.

[...]

Note that I will accept subscriptions for as little as $50,000, provided the investor is "accredited".
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

Given the outlook for the Canadian economy some experts seem to think a rate cut is more likely then a rate increase. If true this might present some concerns over resets which don’t have floor protection.
KFried
Contributor
Contributor

Post by KFried »

Planning to buy ZPR/CPD. Does the recommendation to hold preferreds in a nonreg account apply to the ETFs as well ?

TIA
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

KFried wrote: 17 May 2018 14:18 Planning to buy ZPR/CPD. Does the recommendation to hold preferreds in a nonreg account apply to the ETFs as well ?

TIA
Same rules apply since the holdings of ZPR and CPD are prefs eligible for the DTC. There will be some additional work to maintain your ACB, with the potential of phantom re-invested distributions and/or ROC each year.
Hogwild
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Hogwild »

I have a question.

In the current interest rate environment, how far down might I expect rate-reset preferreds to go each time there is no increase in interest rates or an interest rate increase? Does the pattern tend to be somewhat linear, or does there come a point at which pref. shares stop, or at least slow down their price drop near/after each interest rate announcement.

I made good money the last two times I purchased what I felt to be underpriced rate resets. I'm wondering if I can do it again, this time with CU.PR.C . Their current yield is 5.41% and no reset until June 1, 2021. Of course, the gamble is on interest rates.

Opinions?
fireseeker
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by fireseeker »

My guess (and that's all it is) is that rate reset prices are not so much based on next month's BOC rate announcement, but rather on projections that go out years. IOW, the latest rate announcement -- whatever it is, up, down or sideways -- could move rate reset prices in any direction and to any degree based not on the announcement per se, but on how buyers/traders adjust their long-term expectations for rates.
As I said, a guess. Looking forward to reading more informed opinions.
Also, Hogwild, would like to know more about your earlier two trades.