Power of Dividend Growth 2011 (and beyond)

Discuss your favourite picks, broker, and trading or investment style.
BRIAN5000
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Re: Power of Dividend Growth 2011 (and beyond)

Post by BRIAN5000 »

There are few gifts nicer than a KitchenAid Mixer. But for God's sake, don't get a cheap one! The one you need to buy costs about $550.

Jo Anne
Pick a model number $550 reg price or sale price?
This information is believed to be from reliable sources but may include rumor and speculation. Accuracy is not guaranteed
twa2w
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by twa2w »

kcowan wrote: 16 Dec 2017 06:23
SQRT wrote: 15 Dec 2017 15:25Yes. It’s nice to see the balances go up but what is the point other than to spend or give more later? I’ve been selling down/gifting a fair bit recently but portfolio is still near all time high. This can’t last forever.
Is everyone in this thread who is retired using VPW? This assures the growth of spending in good years. But at what stage do we start melting down the portfolio. Do we wait for Mr Market to do it for us? I probably have 10 maybe 20 years to go. I am thinking of giving stock donations to my favoured charities but I can't seem to pull the pin! I love to watch the portfolio grow. But I am feeling like Scrooge right now because while the portfolio is growing, I am happy!

I suppose I could adjust my will so that certain charities will get the benefit but then I am letting the government have more than it deserves.
Well you could look at a charitable remainder trust
twa2w
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by twa2w »

SQRT wrote: 16 Dec 2017 07:44
Descartes wrote: 15 Dec 2017 17:37 I tip my hat off to you. 6 figures is still not chump change to me and Tiffany's and Louis Vuitton take a big bite.
Sorry, made a mistake. Meant to type 4 figures. I’m embarrassed.
4 figures $ 99.99. :D

Just kidding
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

I'll never see total assets in eight figures. Not in this life. We give to charities what we can. As well as financial obligations to family, there's also the dreaded ultra-expensive nursing/retirement home looming in the background, if either of us live long enough.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

I have no problem giving to family and will continue to do so. I have increased the give by 30%. But in giving to charity, I am thinking that they will not get as much as I will if I hold off on making an equity donation. Plus there is the little lingering appreciation aspect.
There must be a thread for charities.....just wanted to say that I am wary of them. In Japan, I donated to the Japanese Red Cross and received no acknowledgement or even a tax receipt. I later heard about troubles people were having getting access to aid. I donated to the Canadian Red Cross following the Fort McMurray fires of 2016. But recent news of fraud has me really questioning whether this would be a smart charity to invest in a third time: https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/red-cross ... -1.3663637

I have decided that I will focus on individuals--direct investment--and dump the charity scam structures.
Last edited by JaydoubleU on 18 Dec 2017 17:14, edited 1 time in total.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Off-topic re charities, but I only support those close to home and more accountable to the Canadian public. Did Fort Mac last year and the BC wildfire season this year. Most of my charitable support is right in my municipality/region.
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Our income from dividends in the Canadian dividend growth stock portfolio is up near 8% for the year 2017 compared to year end last year. Everything else is a bonus.
scomac
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by scomac »

Taggart wrote: 31 Dec 2017 11:31 Our income from dividends in the Canadian dividend growth stock portfolio is up near 8% for the year 2017 compared to year end last year. Everything else is a bonus.
I don't have the percent increase at my fingertips, but I just counted up 21 increases out of 26 positions including a couple of preferreds and a couple of CEFs. Basically every common stock put their dividend up in 2017!
"On what principle is it, that when we see nothing but improvement behind us, we are to expect nothing but deterioration before us?"
Thomas Babington Macaulay in 1830
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

scomac wrote: 31 Dec 2017 12:07
I don't have the percent increase at my fingertips, but I just counted up 21 increases out of 26 positions including a couple of preferreds and a couple of CEFs. Basically every common stock put their dividend up in 2017!
:thumbsup:
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Just compared this year with 2016 and it appears i am up about 2.5% in investment income on a global basis. I'd have to play around in Quicken to see what Canada eligible dividends alone did for me. That includes forex headwinds (negative in 2017 vs 2016), and headwinds from the sale of a few equities.

More importantly in my mind, is an overall forex adjusted investment portfolio gain of about 12.8% (about 14.5% unadjusted). No doubt a suitable thread on 'how did you do' in 2017 will pop up soon for folks to brag about their numbers. :wink:

Added.... Started such a thread in Financial Planning
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki The go-to place to bolster your financial freedom
SQRT
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by SQRT »

AltaRed wrote: 31 Dec 2017 12:37 Just compared this year with 2016 and it appears i am up about 2.5% in investment income on a global basis. I'd have to play around in Quicken to see what Canada eligible dividends alone did for me. That includes forex headwinds (negative in 2017 vs 2016), and headwinds from the sale of a few equities.

More importantly in my mind, is an overall forex adjusted investment portfolio gain of about 12.8% (about 14.5% unadjusted). No doubt a suitable thread on 'how did you do' in 2017 will pop up soon for folks to brag about their numbers. :wink:

Added.... Started such a thread in Financial Planning
My actual divs increased by 8.7% in 2017 vs 2016. I expect they will increase by about 6.6% in 2018 vs 2017. Would be more except I am selling some shares down to up my spending a bit. I figure as long as my divs keep increasing by at least 5% each year, I’m good.
JaydoubleU
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by JaydoubleU »

16 of 18 stock holdings increased dividends in 2017. Yes, at the moment I own only 18 stocks. Actually, a conscious decision last year was to get rid of higher yielding stocks where the dividends were static and to refocus on the growers. I got rid of CJR.B and DR, just to note two, and perhaps not surprisingly, these were also very weak last year.

I find it impossible to calculate actual percentage gains, since there were quite a few trades as well as new cash added during the year. I am targeting an average of 8% overall dividend growth, with several in the 10%+ range (ENB, ENF, FSZ, AQN, RY, TRP) and several between 5-8% (BCE, POW, CM, BNS, ALA, PPL, EMA, ECI).

Two that did not raise I am still holding with expectations of good things to come in 2018: AD and DIV.
farco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by farco »

Dividend paid increased by 7.74% in 2017 vs 2016. I expect between 8 to 11.5% increase in 2018.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Shakespeare posted this article in another thread regarding Enbridge.

https://secure.globeadvisor.com/servlet ... ERENBRIDGE

What I found most interesting about it was from this one small statement:

"While some of the retreat has come from a recent broad shift out of many dividend paying stocks............"

So that means the money previously invested in dividend stocks is now flowing elsewhere. The question is where?

The last time I can remember money flowing out of dividend stocks in a big way was back in the late 90's during the tech/dot.com craze, and we all know where that lead to.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Maybe just to cash. A number of money managers are increasing their cash position. Then again, some people can't resist weed stocks, FAANG stocks, and a host of other blockchain wonders.
nisser
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by nisser »

Fang stocks have been quite flat. As has anything to do with oil. So money's being going to cash + weed
Thegipper
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Thegipper »

nisser wrote: 31 Mar 2018 18:45 Fang stocks have been quite flat. As has anything to do with oil. So money's being going to cash + weed
Over the past 9 years I have averaged over 20% per year. It has come through investing in high ROE and ROC growth stocks which included strong positions in tech stocks like Google, Apple, Amazon and FB. Each of us have our own investment strategy. 2018 looks like it might be a year in which investors will be taking a haircut regardless of their investment style.
adrian2
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by adrian2 »

nisser wrote: 31 Mar 2018 18:45 Fang stocks have been quite flat. As has anything to do with oil. So money's being going to cash + weed
The stock universe is therefore composed of Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Google, oil stocks and weed.
Yeah, right! :twisted:
Imagefiniki, the Canadian financial wiki
“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong.” [Richard P. Feynman, Nobel prize winner]
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

Getting more and more difficult to get free dividend information anymore. Last year the valuable dividend data at the Financial Post disappeared in a revamp. Just now, I've discovered that the ca.dividendinvestor website no longer supplies their data free.

Now I'll have to be content with what's available at the investor relations for each individual Canadian company that has any sign of dividend growth.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

Have you looked at Morningstar? Depends on what you are looking for I suppose.
Taggart
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Taggart »

AltaRed wrote: 02 Aug 2018 10:35 Have you looked at Morningstar? Depends on what you are looking for I suppose.
Yes, I still look at Morningstar. That and Yahoo finance are a couple of the last sites I've seen available.

Another one, Reuters used to give great free fundamental data including dividend info on Canadian TSX listed equities, but that all ended near two years ago.

It's a completely changed world on the web over the last twenty years, so I just have to accept it. That and the huge pay wall the G&M surrounded themselves with and the free goodies are fast going, going,..... gone.
AltaRed
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by AltaRed »

To be expected I suppose. As a shareholder of TRI I don't want them giving away data for free either.
farco
Contributor
Contributor

Post by farco »

Taggart wrote: 02 Aug 2018 11:03 It's a completely changed world on the web over the last twenty years, so I just have to accept it. That and the huge pay wall the G&M surrounded themselves with and the free goodies are fast going, going,..... gone.
Personally I pay for data access (for 10+ years financials and other stuff) for years now, from a US provider since I haven't found anything here in Canada that gives satisfaction in this domain, for the way of investing I using.
Sensei
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Sensei »

Hello,

Certainly the days of free information are disappearing. The usual pattern is provide information for free, collect data on usage, and then start charging when they see what investors are looking for and need. Seeking Alpha is also following this pattern, which I find annoying.

My main sources for Canadian dividend information are:
TDDI Stock research including Morningstar
G&M which I am happy to pay $24 a month for.

08/04 Correction: Sorry. G&M is over $27 a month.

In the US, Nasdaq provides about 5 years of dividend info down from unlimited a couple of years ago. Nasdaq Dividend History
My best idea for complete information is Dividend Channel It provides dividend info back to 1995 (or more perhaps) plus up to 25 years of performance in a neat little chart. Also a basic Zack's star rating. There are other related channels also of value to me.
Cheers

"A dividend being paid today is always a positive return." Josh Peters, Morningstar
Sensei
Veteran Contributor
Veteran Contributor

Post by Sensei »

Hello,

BTW, speaking of information, I like the new 'Projected Income' feature at TDDI. Have others tried it? What to you think?
Cheers

"A dividend being paid today is always a positive return." Josh Peters, Morningstar